Recall of some 3.5L engines

Found this online today. Also contains sales numbers for the Journey. Looks like the recall amounts to about 1/3 of the units delivered so far.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../FREE/815384694

hey thanks for finding that Nicetrip!!!!

I checked the recall site and mine shows as

No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist

NOTE:

Results returned represent unperformed or incomplete Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Notifications initiated by Chrysler Motors Company LLC at the time of your inquiry.

In this post I attached the 2 PDFs from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov regarding the recalls. Vehicles manufactured from 2/4/08-3/14/08 are part of the recall. I took delivery 3/31/08, I checked the recall portion on Dodge.com and it said there were none, so not sure if I am affected, but it's a pretty close time frame as I ordered mid Feb.

Alyssia

Found this online today. Also contains sales numbers for the Journey. Looks like the recall amounts to about 1/3 of the units delivered so far.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../FREE/815384694

RCAK_08V247_1654.pdf

RCDNN_08V247_4175.pdf

In this post I attached the 2 PDFs from http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov regarding the recalls. Vehicles manufactured from 2/4/08-3/14/08 are part of the recall. I took delivery 3/31/08, I checked the recall portion on Dodge.com and it said there were none, so not sure if I am affected, but it's a pretty close time frame as I ordered mid Feb.

Alyssia

I put in quite a few random VINs at Dodge.com, and none of them showed the recall. My guess is they haven't yet updated the individual VINs with the recalled status. Judging by your delivery date, I'd say the chances are pretty good you'll be getting a letter in the mail over the next few weeks. Keep us posted...

I get a small noise of a grind when I turn a sharp left as well, like a uturn. Is that when you get yours or just during normal left turns?

Yes, it's always a sharp left turn, when you put it in a bind. There is a left turn near my house that is sharp and uphill...I hear it every time. However, it is fine with normal left turns.

I don't think this is really that big of an issue, at least not yet. From my understanding there haven't been any fires caused by this issue, and the problem was actually first found by Chrysler during a vehicle audit (whatever that entails). This is a preventative measure, not reactive. Also, the problem is poorly routed wiring. The fix is reportedly trusty cable ties. I think Chrysler is doing a great job so far. I'm glad they found this and they're fixing it before there are any problems. Unlike FoMoCo a couple of years back with their Crown Vics, they had quite a few of those go up in flames. I also just found this link: GM SUV Investigation. They say there's already been 41 reports of fires - 16 with the engine turned off! All they're doing is an investigating it - it's not even a recall yet!!!! Like I said, I think Chrysler is on the right track in fixing this before it becomes an issue.

Like I said, I think Chrysler is on the right track in fixing this before it becomes an issue.

I'd like to think that you're right about being proactive, forthcoming and ethical with fixing this potential problem, but there's other strong motivations, too, such as making simple accounting sense. Paying dealer techs for 20 minutes of time (let's say $30 for 20 minutes) to install a 10 cent tie wrap on several thousand cars is still a heck of a lot cheaper (say maybe $250,000 overall) than ONE lawsuit from the resulting damage...even if they managed to somehow get it dismissed (corporate attorneys don't come cheap). Let alone whatever government fines that some bureaucrat could possibly find to assess.

As for the grinding/cavitating noise when turning left, I'm not convinced that this is a widespread issue across nearly every Journey out there. It's been discussed in several forums here. One person mentioned that they had the power steering pump replaced, and it didn't remedy the situation. Another said that their dealership ended up replacing the entire exhaust system. I haven't heard whether or not that resolved the problem for good on his Journey yet. I had the dealership look at mine, and they reported it to be nothing abnormal at this point, as they found the same condition on a couple of the Journeys sitting on their lot with single digit mileage on them.

I wrote to Chrysler about it, and received a standard form respone back about the concern being routed to the appropriate people. I highly doubt that you will see a recall for this noise, but I am willing to bet based on the widespread reports of it that a TSB (technical service bulletin) will be in the works....soon. At that point, Chrysler should have diagnosed the cause and have a remedy available for the dealership service techs to implement. Until then, I guess we'll have to put up with it.

Too check your build date open your drivers door & look on the edge for a white label, amongst other info on there your date of mfr. is on the upper left corner. In the lower right corner of the same label you'll see MDH, thats the month ,day & hour your vehicle was completed. Cliff

Damn mines built on 3-14-2008. So do I wait for the to contact me, or can I just take it to them. Im a bit hesitant becuase since its a new vehicle, they wont know how to properly install it.

Don't worry, I'm told it's a very simple fix (a tie wrap or two). Consult your dealer. They should have detailed instructions anyway.

I called to schedule an oil change for Monday and asked her to check on the recall, it's not showing up yet for my car, but there is a rapid response for a software update on mine and she said they heard of another coming down regarding some of the radios.

Will keep you updated...

Alyssia

• 2 weeks later...
:banghead: I've been having the rubbing sound in the left front from the day I got my Journey I called the dealer as soon as I got home. They had me bring it in and they bent a bracket and said "That should do it." That didn't do it . I brought it back,still not fixed. Then 2 weeks later I get a check engine light ,they tell me to bring it in. I take in to the dealer 3 hours later they say"there is a short in the O2 sensor harness. We have to order the part it won't be in until Mid July . The car is O.K. too drive until the part comes in.Then 3 days later while driving down the street the car stops running and wouldn't restart. I had it towed in when I get it there they pop the hood and you could smell burning wires. That was on June 19 still no car, parts won't be in until July 17.