Really Under Water on 2009 SXT

JourneyJack

My 2009 Journey SXT with 45K miles had developed a damp, mildew smell when it set overnight with the windows up. I felt around on the carpet. I even swung the doors open and closed to see if water had got inside the doors. The I opened the storage box located in the floor of the rear seat behind the driver's seat. It had 3" of water. Of course, eveything in the box was ruined. I got the water out and figured the bottom had got cracked and water from a wet road had made its way up into the box. Then I noticed the carpet around the top of the box was soaked. You couldn't feel the dampness when you touched the carpet from the top side, but if you reached under the carpet around the storage box and pressed the padding, it was completely saturated. So I don't think the water could have come up through the bottom of the storage box and made it all the way up under the interior carpet. I am wondering if it came in around the pillar that separates the front and back doors. I will be going to the dealer next week, but wondered if anyone else had this problem.

• Official Dodge Support

My 2009 Journey SXT with 45K miles had developed a damp, mildew smell when it set overnight with the windows up. I felt around on the carpet. I even swung the doors open and closed to see if water had got inside the doors. The I opened the storage box located in the floor of the rear seat behind the driver's seat. It had 3" of water. Of course, eveything in the box was ruined. I got the water out and figured the bottom had got cracked and water from a wet road had made its way up into the box. Then I noticed the carpet around the top of the box was soaked. You couldn't feel the dampness when you touched the carpet from the top side, but if you reached under the carpet around the storage box and pressed the padding, it was completely saturated. So I don't think the water could have come up through the bottom of the storage box and made it all the way up under the interior carpet. I am wondering if it came in around the pillar that separates the front and back doors. I will be going to the dealer next week, but wondered if anyone else had this problem.

JJ,

Agree with above poster if you have a sunroof. There is also a TSB regarding water leak procedures. TSB below.

NUMBER: 23-010-10

GROUP: Body

DATE: July 7, 2010

SUBJECT:

Water Leak Diagnosis

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin introduces a New Water Leak Repair Manual that should be followed

whenever a vehicle is brought in with water leak concerns.

MODELS:

2009-2010 (JC) Journey

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Water leaks from the roof ditch and sunroof area.

DIAGNOSIS:

A new approach to addressing water leak concerns on Journey models has been

developed and is announced with this Service Bulletin. The New Manual can be accessed

through DealerCONNECT > Efiles. The file is found in the Service section > STAR Center

> Misc Documents > JC Water Leak Repair Manual. The manual provides detailed color

graphics and instructions to address water leak concerns. The manual is broken out by

leak category (as listed below) and provides all the necessary information and latest

methods to make effective repairs. The Labor Operations listed in the Service Bulletin can

be used based on repair methods used in the manual.

The JC Water Leak Repair Manual has a diagnosis road map that includes the following

customer concerns:

i. Water at rear of the headliner.

ii. Damp and/or wet front carpet.

iii. Damp and/or wet carpet around the seats and cargo area.

• 2 weeks later...

A follow up to the story - My Dodge dealer determined the leak came from the wiring harness that runs from inside the front door jam over to the front driver's door. It is tucked in between the two front door hinges. This harness includes the wires going to the power window and door lock controls mounted on the driver's door. The wires run through rubber tubing from the Journey's body to the driver's door. Each end has a cap that snaps in to place. The cap going to the body had come loose and water was running in, then making it's way under the driver's seat and into the back floorboard. Don't know why it came loose, but you Journey owners may want to check this periodically. As for me, 10 days later and I am still trying to dry out my carpet.