Oil life monitor - how does it work?

Easy

I've recently had my third oil-change and - to my surprise - the service advisor asked me what kind of oil I would like to use. As it turns out, the factory used mineral oil originally, however, the synthetic oil (in the case of this Chrysler dealer, Castrol brand) is apparently a better oil. Once I got home, I have done a bit of research on the oil life monitoring systems offered by most car manufacturers and it seems that it is entirely software based (in other words it's based on driving conditions, such as number of kilometers, speed, engine rpm, temperature etc.), but NOT on the analysis of the oil itself (i.e. remaining additives, viscosity etc.). So here's my dilemma: whether I use mineral or synthetic oil, it wouldn't make any difference as far as when my car would tell me that it's time for an oil change. Then why pay almost double for synthetic, would I be hoping to extend the life-span of my engine that way?

What do you guys use?

Edited by Easy

I have been using Mobil 1 full syn since my first oil change. I just keep track of my mileage and change every 6000 miles.My 09 manual states not to exceed 6500 miles between changes. When the change oil indicator lights, I just reset it. I have always used Mobil1 and have NEVER had an engine failure. Maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know. Anyway, the price breaks even for me because I double the mileage between changes. I pay about $60 US for a Mobil 1 syn. oil change.

• Official Dodge Support

Has anybody ran across any literature specific to Dodge or Chrysler regarding the oil life monitoring system? I'd be interested to know if they're doing anything different from the rest of the pack...

Easy,

This is what I could find on the official definition of what's called the Flexible Service System (FSS) .

What is flexible service system?

A computer-supported and sensor-supported maintenance system that allows for individual vehicle maintenance intervals up to 18,500 miles (30,000 km) and servicing at intervals between one and two years, while notifying the driver if maintenance is needed sooner to ensure long life.

FSS calculates and displays in the instrument cluster the distance remaining to the next regular maintenance service based on actual driving conditions and oil quality. The computer keeps a running track of driving conditions and calculates a load collective that correlates to wear and tear on the oil, using equivalency factors for hard driving, normal driving and light driving.The computer monitors oil, water pressure, RPM, vehicle speed, miles driven, load and oil added. It compares this data to a model that determines when it is time to change the oil.

An engine oil level sensor measures the dynamic oil level during driving and also senses oil dilution (thinning) or high metal content. If specific limit values are reached, the driver is notified that an oil change is needed.

Edited by DodgeCares

Easy,

This is what I could find on the official definition of what's called the Flexible Service System (FSS) .

What is flexible service system?

A computer-supported and sensor-supported maintenance system that allows for individual vehicle maintenance intervals up to 18,500 miles (30,000 km) and servicing at intervals between one and two years, while notifying the driver if maintenance is needed sooner to ensure long life.

FSS calculates and displays in the instrument cluster the distance remaining to the next regular maintenance service based on actual driving conditions and oil quality. The computer keeps a running track of driving conditions and calculates a load collective that correlates to wear and tear on the oil, using equivalency factors for hard driving, normal driving and light driving.The computer monitors oil, water pressure, RPM, vehicle speed, miles driven, load and oil added. It compares this data to a model that determines when it is time to change the oil.

An engine oil level sensor measures the dynamic oil level during driving and also senses oil dilution (thinning) or high metal content. If specific limit values are reached, the driver is notified that an oil change is needed.

DodgeCares,

I've tried researching the FSS myself and it seems that it's a feature of the Mercedes Benz, not Chrysler or Dodge. The manual of my 2011 Journey or the disc that came with the car mention absolutely nothing about the FSS (only mention the "Change Oil" message on the EVIC, that's about it).

Where did you find that info (web-link, search-clue, anything)?

• Official Dodge Support

DodgeCares,

I've tried researching the FSS myself and it seems that it's a feature of the Mercedes Benz, not Chrysler or Dodge. The manual of my 2011 Journey or the disc that came with the car mention absolutely nothing about the FSS (only mention the "Change Oil" message on the EVIC, that's about it).

Where did you find that info (web-link, search-clue, anything)?

Easy,

It wasn't in the owners manual it was in the information manuals Chrysler uses for agents to respond to customer inquiries on different subjects.