TIre Pressure Warning

drozz

Started up the Journey this morning to leave for work, and the EVIC system lite up like a christmas tree warning for low KPA, the two left side tires were at 209, the two right side tires were at 199 and were yellow with the warning. After driving for a bit, 3 of the 4 tires were up to 227 but the back right was at 220 and the two right sides were still both yellow. Could this be a sensor problem or acutally low pressure?

Not trying to be smart ass here but seriously "buy a good tire gauge".

Run the DJ till tires are warmed up then fill to specs on the label

stuck on the drivers door frame.

Cold wx and where you park at nite(in garage or outside) will show

differnt readings but you have to start at the "NORM" to make the evic

reliable.

The tires should be inflated when cold, not after they have warmed up. Best time to fill the tires is after the vehicle has been sitting for a few hours or overnight. Fill the tires to the pressure recommended on the placard on the driver's door.

Started up the Journey this morning to leave for work, and the EVIC system lite up like a christmas tree warning for low KPA, the two left side tires were at 209, the two right side tires were at 199 and were yellow with the warning. After driving for a bit, 3 of the 4 tires were up to 227 but the back right was at 220 and the two right sides were still both yellow. Could this be a sensor problem or acutally low pressure?

I have found that if a tire has a 2 pounds or more differential the light comes on. Fill it to match the others and the light goes off. It does take a couple of minutes for the light to go off after you have filled the tire.

The system used on the 2011 reads in 7 kpa steps. As suggested, get a good gauge and set the pressure WHEN COLD to the setting indicated on the plackard - note that if you've changed tire sizes the placard may be wrong (that's why I asked someone to post the placard readings for 16" wheels here). One trick I've used in the past when I didn't have a compressor has been to over-inflate by a couple of pounds at a gas station at night, then bleed some air out in the morning to arrive at the target setting.

Because the TPS system has large steps and most electronic tire pressure gauges reard out in half pound increments you may well see different readings between the wheels on the TPS readout while getting underway and until things reach operating pressure.

I was trying to find that thread yesterday and couldn't spot it. Sticker on my door says 36psi for the 16" tires.

Here's a general question on tire pressure and nitrogen. Is it recommended to 'top up' nitrogen filled tires with regular compressed air? Or does that basically negate the advantages of the nitrogen filling? My DJ came with nitrogen in the tires right off the lot, but we've lost 30*C in average temperatures since then (+15 to -15) and the tire pressure has been dropping accordingly. I know it won't HURT anything to use regular old air, but does it kind of defeat the purpose of the nitrogen in the first place as you start mixing in regular old atmosphere?

Thanks Chris;

So 16" & 17" tires fill to 36 PSI and 19" to 34 PSI;

Maybe this board needs a 'bin 'o facts' topic to collect this type of information.

As to the question about adding compressed air to Nitrogen-filled tires:

From a physics perspective, the atmosphere is comprised of 78% nitrogen. And while Nitrogen molecules don't flow through tire walls as easily as, for example Oxygen ones because they are larger, that same concept means that over time you tend to concentrate Nitrogen in the tires over time - you fill with 78% nitrogen and that percentage climbs as the other gas molecules migrate out.

Would it 'hurt' anything? You know that it won't. Will it make any significant difference to pay to put Nitrogen in your tires instead of off the rack compressed air? Yes. You wallet will be that much lighter for having done so.