Yakima Whispbar Rails?

Has anyone tried Yakima Whispbar Rails on their Journey? They look like a great alternative to the OEM crossbars. The Yakima fit guide doesn't list them as fitting the Journey, but I'm not sure why. They come in a lot of different lengths, so I can't figure out why they wouldn't fit.

http://www.yakima.com/whispbar/whispbar-s41-rail

post-4429-0-89075100-1320696562_thumb.jp

Not sure what prompted your post; looks? MPG? or what?

. . . but, I have the regular Yakima rail grabbers and original round bars on my Journey. Has worked well for me. Carries bikes and boards with ease. Yakima has all sorts of possibilities for rack accessories. As far as gas mileage, I have not noticed a significant difference. I get 24-25 mpg without anything on the roof. Bikes and cargo have a definite effect. I probably get about 22 mpg with a bike on the roof.

One thing I have liked about the round bars is that Yakima sells just the round bar attachments making fabrication of all sorts of custom carriers possible. Made a very handy cargo rack for my Journey for less than $30.00 US.

Peace.

Not sure what prompted your post; looks? MPG? or what?

It's the looks. I'm not too concerned about gas mileage. I like the look of the OEM crossbars, but they aren't lockable. The Whispbar crossbars have an OEM type look, but can be locked. I just don't understand why they wouldn't be compatible with the Journey's roof rails. Maybe it's because the distance between the rails is different in the front and back? Can you do me a favor and measure the distance between the inside of the rails? Thanks!

On my Journey the measurement between the side rails is approximately 41.5 inches both front and back.

Peace.

Thanks for measuring that for me. It looks like the Whispbar Rail S45 is adjustable from 38.5 inches to 42.5 inches, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Is there something unique about the shape of the side rails on the Journey or do they seem to be shaped like most other side rails out there?

• 1 month later...

I clicked the link - $450 for a set of these? OEM ones can be had for about $175 IIRC.

Retail price is $350, though I got them for much cheaper with an industry discount through my employer. The OEM bars may be cheaper, but they don't lock, which was the biggest reason I wanted to go with something else.