SUV of the Year article

I test drove a 2010 with the 2.4/4spd auto and it was in estimation

like pushing a marshmellow with a rope,I had a Caliber 2.0/CVT at

the time and with the 500 lb weight difference added in I was disappointed.

The dash finish was also not what I was looking for-glad I waited for 2011's

and bought a Pentastar/6 spd.

Edited by bigtsr

Yeah, I did test drive a V6. (Although it was a 2011, not a 2012 ... first one the dealer had in last year.) It's nice, no doubt. Sure, it's better than the 4. Quieter, smoother, more kick. But in my reality, for every day use, there is nothing wrong with the 4cyl. It goes along just fine. Passed a Porsche Cayman S on I80 this week in it. LOL Sure, they could have smoked me in a heartbeat, but in real world driving (on the interstate), I passed it. That counts in my world! LOL

It all really comes down to expectations. If you EXPECT the 4 to perform like a big 6, yeah, it sucks turkey waddles. If you expect it to perform like a 4 banger in a big vehicle, you get exactly what it should be. If you expect to drive a Mercedes ML for under $23,000, you are going to be hopelessly disappointed. For the 1.6km my wife and I drive each way to work, I don't need the Pentastar. I don't own anything I can tow, so towing power is not a concern. Not that there's a hitch anyway. Will I opt for a 6 over a 4 in the future? If our situation allows for it, probably. I did love the 2.7 in my Sebring. Which came off the back of a 5.0L Ford V8, which came off the back of a 1.4L Kia, which came after a built 351W V8 that hauled ass. I've driven everything from a 60's economy car (Ford Falcon) to a barge of a 73 Gran Torino to a big ol' sofa on wheels Crown Vic station wagon to sub-compact imports. Each drove very differently. Each had different types of engines. Each had strengths and weaknesses. Each could be compared to something better to make it seem like something worse. But each was just great if you accepted it for what it was, and drove it accordingly. My 4 banger Journey would smoke my old 6 cylinder Falcon. But I'd take that old Falcon back any day, because it was my first car, and I loved it. Even after 35 years, it would pull 28 city/33 highway. :)

Bottom line for me was cost. To get a V6 Journey, it would cost more than my budget allows. So given a choice between the 4cyl and nothing? Hands down, 4 banger wins. The rest of the vehicle is top notch. At the same time, I don't find that the 4 speed transmission has trouble holding a gear too long. It downshifts with ease, when I need it to. I've read a whole lot of posts (and reviews) about the 6 speed being unwilling to downshift/holding 6th gear too long. ;) I don't drive like a teenager anymore. I'm alright with not driving the fastest thing on the road. Your mileage may vary. :)

Edited by ChrisPollard