Exhausted....

Has anyone done any exhaust mods other than putting on new fancy exhaust tips?

I have been looking underneeth of the car and it looks pretty basic. I have a Flowmaster muffler sitting here doing nothing. It is a single in and duel out and I am looking at putting it right unter the car where the stock resinator is in the center of the floor tunnel and then running duel pipes out the rear the stock way unter the car exiting out the normal slots under the bumper. It looks to me as it is an easy removal and would be a basic slip on for the muffler and possably very easy to run pipes out the back with very little mods to bending or oter things. Hanging it looks to be the hardest thing and that is easy with sme bent ready rod welded to the pipes.

Anyone?....

Has anyone done any exhaust mods other than putting on new fancy exhaust tips?

I have been looking underneeth of the car and it looks pretty basic. I have a Flowmaster muffler sitting here doing nothing. It is a single in and duel out and I am looking at putting it right unter the car where the stock resinator is in the center of the floor tunnel and then running duel pipes out the rear the stock way unter the car exiting out the normal slots under the bumper. It looks to me as it is an easy removal and would be a basic slip on for the muffler and possably very easy to run pipes out the back with very little mods to bending or oter things. Hanging it looks to be the hardest thing and that is easy with sme bent ready rod welded to the pipes.

Anyone?....

Is it an AWD?

Is it an AWD?

No, it has the room where the AWD tunnel would be so there is quite alot of room.

I am really wondering if anyone has done any aftermarket installs of systems and what they have done for exhaust mods. I dont want to end up with a droning sound inside of the car but I would like a good sound out the back ofcoarse. I have allways used Flowmaster but I dont know how it would/will sound on the Journey and was hopeing somebody might have done this in here. I know it is just "A family car" but sometimes we need them to be diffrent. hehe.... I have aswell had a 06 Durango and a 05 Magnum which both were Hemi powered and I had done the Flowmaster systems to them. I guess I should just do this to the Journey and get it over with but I was just wondering if anyone has played with this mod in here.

Thanx ya'll!!!!

I was surprised at how much room there is under a FWD Journey. I haven't measured the exhaust diameter on my '11 but it appears to be at least 2.50" from the front y-pipe through the resonantor back to the t-split for the mufflers (may be closer to 2.75"). I would imagine it's larger diameter than the 3.5's (though I may be wrong). The mufflers for '11 ,and the Pentastar, are larger than the ones for the 3.5 cars. I first thought they were muffler/resonantor combination but looking underneath showed otherwise. Just keep in mind V6 motors have a different resonance signature than a V8. I used Dynomax Super Turbos for years for two reasons - they outflow Flowmaster below 3500rpm and to me they sound better (one of the more subjective areas of a vehicle). In the past few years I've been using Magnaflow mufflers for similar flow and they are quieter. And given the size of stock exhaust today ,and most are mild stainless, I've just swapped out mufflers instead of going catback (reasonable and cheaper on a stock or very mild motor). I will probably go with a set of Magnaflows down the road to compliment the K&N CAI she has now.

Edited by coolram62

Depending on the Flowmaster you have. A 44 or 40 series will Drone around 2200 RPM. A 50 Series should be alright. If you keep your Stock Reso's on the back your won't here much of a difference in sound. They do a good job of keeping things quiet. What you can do is run a 44 series Flowmaster for the main Muffler. (suitcase) Then replace the Reso's in the back with Turbo Mufflers to knock out the Drone. Also if you want to save a few bucks. The Cherry Bomb Pro Muffler is built a lot like the Flowmaster and $20 cheaper on some sites. I heard one on a 3.5 Charger and it's one of the best sound v6 Chargers I have heard. It was just freakin loud. The Turbo mufflers with knock that loudness down and the drone out. But still give it a nice deep tone.

Also I wouldn't go any bigger then 2.5in Dia Pipes.

Edited by Ramrod

Thanks guys! That is some great info and exactly what I was looking for!

It is starting to get cold up here so I had better start on it soon in the driveway or the snow will stop anything from happening untill spring. I have it figured out as to what I am going to do with the leftovers from other projyects sitting on the shelf that I can use to build what I would like to have under it. I hope I dont end up with a drone but I never had a drone under my 06 Durando with the 50 series Flowmaster that I pulled out of it. I do believe it is a 2 1/2" pipe dumping down from the cat and that is the inlet of the muffler I have so it is all looking good from here. I will post what I manage to get done as soon as I get under it.

Thanx again!

Vic

Ramrod is right on with this. The LX (Challenger, Charger, 300) guys have been modding their cars for years and there are several kits on the market for the 3.5 LX cars. drone is an issue for some. the 50 series is a great bet, as is resonators or mufflers at the end. Flowmaster's latest kit for the 3.5 Challenger had a mid muffler (50 series or super 44) and had resonators at the ends...which looked like their 10 series mufflers.

unless its a kit, then there will be some experimentation.

coolram....

can you post/link any pictures? also... video? :)

i can guarantee i wont be able to sell the wife on it, but i still want to hear it.