LED replacement bulbs

I'll admit it - I'm and LED fanboy. But the DJ I've purchased doesn't have that option. So being me, I've been searching to see if anyone offers up LED replacement bulbs. I've found a couple. Best I can tell from reading, one version is brighter than the other. http://www.autoanything.com/lights/65A5617A0A0.aspx?green=3952BEFF-B5F0-5E9B-91E9-5F607C47BE0B

There are red, white, and amber ... to cover brake/tail lights, reverse lights, and turn signals. Has anyone tried something like these on their Journey before? Any luck? I noticed in the comments on that site that the turn signal needs a resistor added, otherwise you get a super fast blink, but other than that, good reviews. When it comes to lighting, I'm all about brighter and better ... and LEDs.

Your signature says you have a CVP SE Plus - unfortunately the Dodge Canada website doesn't show the 2012 yet for some reason, but for comparison purposes, my 2011 'plus' came with the following enhancements over the base CVP SE

- LED tail lights

- tinted glass

- roof rails

- floor mats

- 17" aluminum wheels and Kuhmo tires (are the tires an upgrade?)

- retractable luggage area cover

- leather wrapped shifter and steerng wheel

- body coloured mirrors

Did they decontent the vehicle for 2012?

I will say that LED replacement bulbs in general tend to suck because they don't put the light where the reflector wants to see it. You may like LEDs, but if it isn't as bright as the existing brake and turn lighting you will be compromising safety - not to mention that if they do vehicle inspections in your jurisdiction you may be putting your incandescents back in because lighting has to be SAE approved and that requires OEM specified bulbs..

Besides, at least in my own opinion the rest of the world can look at the outside of my vehicle, but my experience is inside - I prefer to put my farkles where I can directly benefit from them.

EDIT: If you hit the 'build it' button on the web site and then the 'special offers' (at least for the Quebec region) it does bring up the order menu for the 2012 - and it clearly states that LED tail lights come in the SE Plus . . . . .

Edited by bramfrank

Well, my window sticker said SE Plus, just like the 5 seater beside it on the lot ... but one had the LEDs and tinted windows, mine does not. Which I'm good with. But maybe it's a misprint on the window sticker.

Hmmm, just went and compared the build sheets to the other one ... order codes are different. Apparently it's just the CVP, no SE Plus group. 22F vs 22G. Guess I'd better update my profile. :) Oh well ... at least if a bulb burns out, I don't have to take it to the dealer for replacement!

Nope, they sure aren't. They are NOT standard equipment on all models. Hence the good old fashioned light bulbs in the tail end of my 2012. SE+ and higher maybe ... but not the base model CVP versions. Logically, you'd think they'd just put them in everything, so there is only ONE set of parts throughout the lineup, ONE set of engineering, etc. But I guess it must still be cheaper two double engineer the parts than to make LEDs standard on all trim levels. My other disappointment with the LED setup from the factory - it's only the tail/brake lights, and not the turn signals as well.

Oh, and yes, the 17" tires are an upgrade. I do recall reading the sidewall and seeing 16" tires on the steel wheels with caps.

Well, my window sticker said SE Plus, just like the 5 seater beside it on the lot ... but one had the LEDs and tinted windows, mine does not. Which I'm good with. But maybe it's a misprint on the window sticker.

Hmmm, just went and compared the build sheets to the other one ... order codes are different. Apparently it's just the CVP, no SE Plus group. 22F vs 22G. Guess I'd better update my profile. :) Oh well ... at least if a bulb burns out, I don't have to take it to the dealer for replacement!

Does your bill of sale stipulate a plus? It could get interesting if it does.

I won't have the bill of sale until Tuesday ... but I am going to be sure to check it closely. I was going from the listing on the dealer site, which shows the build/options. The one that was parked next to it DOES show the SE Plus option (22G) where mine just shows the 22F CVP option. So my guess is whoever put the listing on their website did a copy and paste, not noticing that it was NOT an SE Plus.

Armendegga - I'm with you there. What's the point of going through the trouble of making two sets of parts ... other than to make it easy to spot a base model driving down the street? But like many things in life, it's best not to think on it too much, lest your brain begins to hurt. LOL

Interesting... I just did some research on both dodge.ca and dodge.com and it appears that all the 2011 models had the LED tail lamps, but for 2012, the CVP and AVP are a new base model that does not have them. Weird, but I guess they had to do something to differentiate the trim levels more.

Also interesting to see an "American Value Package" model show up now that Reid Bigland is head of Dodge USA (formerly CEO of Chrysler Canada).

Interesting... I just did some research on both dodge.ca and dodge.com and it appears that all the 2011 models had the LED tail lamps, but for 2012, the CVP and AVP are a new base model that does not have them. Weird, but I guess they had to do something to differentiate the trim levels more.

Also interesting to see an "American Value Package" model show up now that Reid Bigland is head of Dodge USA (formerly CEO of Chrysler Canada).

No. The 2011 base model had tungsten brake light bulbs.

Not surprising that they copied the Canadian product naming, since Canada bought 5 times as many Journeys per capita than they did in the US.

Edited by bramfrank

No. The 2011 base model had tungsten brake light bulbs.

Not surprising that they copied the Canadian product naming, since Canada bought 5 times as many Journeys per capita than they did in the US.

The dealer I bought my 2011 from had a base model Express and she definitly did not have LED taillights. I agree it is interesting they would do this looking at cost per unit but turn that around to cost per unit to have the LED assembly in all models.

And the US model lineup has completly changed from 2011. They pared it down to four models with the Crew topping out the line and no RT. The absence of the RT is odd since they made such a big deal of the 2011 models. When I bought my Mainstreet there wasn't a RT in dealer inventory for 200 miles and only a couple Crews. It must have been a sales decision because there's not really any difference between the Crew and RT save for the exterior chrome trim and wheel color (and of course the RT's red interior trim). I've only seen one '11 and a few '09-'10 RTs (judging by wheels once I see the badge). The one '11 Lux I've seen had everything including rear DVD and AWD. Another sidenote for '12 is the pearl coats aren't shown as extra cost on the website (sadly blackberry pearl is not listed).

An Express is not a CVP or AVP. Both of these have incandescent bulb tail assemblies.

I believe that the reason for the incandescent lighting is that Dodge committed to a production volume in 2008 that was never met - they must have had a whack of tail light assemblies leftover (or simply under contract).

Using them in the base models allowed them to offer the LED units while consuming their remaining stock of conventional tail lights.

There are four models (officially) in Canada. The SE, SE Plus, SXT and the R/T (which is AWD) - But something has changed for 2012 (the Dodge Canada site is not updated yet for 2012 except for a reference to the 2012 SE in the 'special offers' section) because I saw a 2012 SE and a 2012 Crew in my dealer's showroom yesterday and a couple of R./Ts in the yard that claimed to be 2012 inventory. The Crew is new to Canada.

All of the 2012 models they had, including the Crew and R/Ts were equipped with 4.3 inch screens - for 2011 the 8 inch screen was standard on the R/T.

Edited by bramfrank

An Express is not a CVP or AVP. Both of these have incandescent bulb tail assemblies.

I believe that the reason for the incandescent lighting is that Dodge committed to a production volume in 2008 that was never met - they must have had a whack of tail light assemblies leftover (or simply under contract).

Using them in the base models allowed them to offer the LED units while consuming their remaining stock of conventional tail lights.

There are four models (officially) in Canada. The SE, SE Plus, SXT and the R/T (which is AWD) - But something has changed for 2012 (the Dodge Canada site is not updated yet for 2012 except for a reference to the 2012 SE in the 'special offers' section) because I saw a 2012 SE and a 2012 Crew in my dealer's showroom yesterday and a couple of R./Ts in the yard that claimed to be 2012 inventory. The Crew is new to Canada.

All of the 2012 models they had, including the Crew and R/Ts were equipped with 4.3 inch screens - for 2011 the 8 inch screen was standard on the R/T.

I understand the Express is not a CVP or AVP but it was the base US Journey for 2011 (there was no AVP in 2011). The 2011 US lineup is Express, Mainstreet, Crew, RT and Lux. AWD was not standard on any but offered as an option on all but the Express. It does make sense about the use of stock as one reason the base models don't have the LED tailight assembly. According to Dodge's US website the 2012 models are AVP, SE, SXT and Crew. The RT and Lux are not listed for 2012 for the US.

I believe there is still a shortage on the 8.4" screens so those in stock are most likely reserved for the 300, Charger and warranty replacement. It's interesting the discount ranges from $305 to $1000 for the 4.3" screen being substituted for the 8.4". And one dealer in Charleston has 18 2012 Journeys but they are all SE or SXT trim levels.

The Crew model is not new to Canada for 2012. My 2011 is a Crew. For 2011, the original model lineup was CVP, SE Plus, SXT, Crew and R/T. After the Japan quake happened, they removed the Crew model from the website but I and several others here are 2011 Crew owners. So glad I got mine with the 8.4" screen!