18" wheels for Journey SXT

ITtech

We have a 2010 Journey SXT and it has 16" wheels on it. In the next 6 months I want to replace the wheels with a larger wheel. I would think a 20" wheel would fit but I do not want to pay for 20" tires. I think a 18" set would look nice. Can anyone give me examples of some they have installed and/or give me some ideas. I do not know much about offset or if I can trust the sites that sell wheel and tire packages in all sizes for the journey. Some say that I can only go 8.5 wide on wheels above 17" because of the rubbing.?. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The 8.5" max is a good guide line to follow. When shoping for wheels remember the Journey's bolt pattern is 5x127 and the offset should be between 33 and 45mm.

Plus here is a linkto coolram's post here with a pick of his 2011 with 18" american racing wheels installed

And if you wanna go all out here is a link to a thread where a member put 22's on his journey

Hope this helps, goodluck.

Omar

The 8.5" max is a good guide line to follow. When shoping for wheels remember the Journey's bolt pattern is 5x127 and the offset should be between 33 and 45mm.

Plus here is a linkto coolram's post here with a pick of his 2011 with 18" american racing wheels installed

And if you wanna go all out here is a link to a thread where a member put 22's on his journey

Hope this helps, goodluck.

Omar

ITtech the AR wheels I have are 18x8. Keep in mind to ask what size the center bore of the wheels you get are. The centers of these wheels require the use of center bore rings for the wheels to be hub centric. Otherwise you have to rely on the lugs to center the wheels which works but isn't the best way to go.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at wheels and wheel/tire packages and though there are a couple of good sites out there including TireRack.com, I chose this one. They do sell the wheel hub rings which coolram mentioned also. I think I have decided to go with 20" rims and tires. It is easier to find that size tire now and the new 2011 Journey lux comes with 19" rims anyway, so I don't think that 1 more inch will make the ride that much worse or scrub either. Though I may decide on 19" wheels and tires and stay with that. I would love to get the 2011 version, or we may see if the dealer can install the center console computer unit in ours. I know you can purchase them to be installed, so why not? Question 2???????? Are all aftermarket wheels high offset and does that really matter? If so how??

You are most welcome and i hope it helps. I did a good deal of research before deciding on the setup I bought. I thought of going to 20" setup but price of the wheel/tire packages were a little out of the park (although you might as well go this size instead of a 19" setup). If you do with 20" wheels you'll have to go with either a 50 or even a 45 series tire which will ride a bit rougher with the shorter sidewall. The 18" package looks and works great. The Nitto 850CUV+ is a very nice tire with very good wet weather handling.

The bolt pattern as mentioned is 5x127 (5x5) with a 40mm offset for the factory 17" wheels. The offset is the position of the backside of the wheel hub flange in relation to wheel center line. Positive offset means the wheel center is moved to the outside of the wheel and negative inside. This explains it better http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101 And this is the explanation on centerbore http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=91 You want to stay within .50" in overall diameter to avoid issues with speedometer and transmission operation (28.5" is roughly the diamter for the Journey wheels whether it be 16,17 or 19 inch).

• 5 weeks later...

We have a 2010 Journey SXT and it has 16" wheels on it. In the next 6 months I want to replace the wheels with a larger wheel. I would think a 20" wheel would fit but I do not want to pay for 20" tires. I think a 18" set would look nice. Can anyone give me examples of some they have installed and/or give me some ideas. I do not know much about offset or if I can trust the sites that sell wheel and tire packages in all sizes for the journey. Some say that I can only go 8.5 wide on wheels above 17" because of the rubbing.?. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Not sure if there is any difference between the clearance between the SXT and R/T (doubt it) but I have a 2010 R/T and since I had an almost new set of 18" Nokian Hak's from my previous company vehicle( Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.) I decided to try and see if I could get a reasonably priced 18 "winter" wheel package that would allow me to use them. I ended up with a set of MPW rims from TWG (The Wheel Group) and the as you can see they fit fine.(See recent uploaded pictures by MCS1). The RR is very close to the stock 19" tires so according to my GPS calculation I am within 1.5 KPH of stock reading at 100KPH. By the way elswhere in this forum I see someone mentioned you cannot use 235's on a Journey but as you can see my Hak's are 235 60R 18's and while the wheel clearance with the brake caliper housings was close it all fits with no tire interference throughout the lock to lock range that I have been able to determine and this is my second winter season with this setup. These tires are a bit of an overkill from a weight carrying standpoint but with the added sidewall stiffness the vehicle seems more solid on the road than with the 19 in summer stock tires.

Not sure if there is any difference between the clearance between the SXT and R/T (doubt it) but I have a 2010 R/T and since I had an almost new set of 18" Nokian Hak's from my previous company vehicle( Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.) I decided to try and see if I could get a reasonably priced 18 "winter" wheel package that would allow me to use them. I ended up with a set of MPW rims from TWG (The Wheel Group) and the as you can see they fit fine.(See recent uploaded pictures by MCS1). The RR is very close to the stock 19" tires so according to my GPS calculation I am within 1.5 KPH of stock reading at 100KPH. By the way elswhere in this forum I see someone mentioned you cannot use 235's on a Journey but as you can see my Hak's are 235 60R 18's and while the wheel clearance with the brake caliper housings was close it all fits with no tire interference throughout the lock to lock range that I have been able to determine and this is my second winter season with this setup. These tires are a bit of an overkill from a weight carrying standpoint but with the added sidewall stiffness the vehicle seems more solid on the road than with the 19 in summer stock tires.

As mentioned above I went with 18" wheel/tires on my '11 and I 've had no problems. The Nitto 850+ CUV does great in both wet and dry but it hasn't been out long enough for reviews on how it does in snow. Like you I have 235's with no problems. I went with 60 series instead of 55 to retain ride quality. On the wheel - brake caliper clearance I think you would have found it close on the Journey with any wheel. My tire dealer was somewhat surprised how close it is with the factory wheels. The AR95T I have now offers a bit more but still very close in the front.