TPMS Pairing Method?

generaltso

Hi All. I'm looking at buying a 2011 or 2012 Journey. In the past, I've always had an extra set of wheels with winter tires and TPMS sensors so that I could do the seasonal swap myself. I know that different vehicles have different methods for pairing to the new TPMS sensors when they're swapped out. Does anyone happen to know what the process is for the Journey?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Confirmed. I put my winter wheels/tires on with aftermarket TPMS sensors (from Tire Rack). The EVIC immediately updated to the pressure readings in the snow tires. The TPMS light didn't come on at all. That's awesome!

These tires I have, came with the sensors that I picked up from a former Journey owner and the light came on and it is not reading the tire pressure.

These tires I have, came with the sensors that I picked up from a former Journey owner and the light came on and it is not reading the tire pressure.

According to Tire Rack, the 2009 Journey used different TPMS sensors than the 2012, which could very well be the problem. It looks like they're both 433Mhz, so I'm not sure what's different about them.

Some Canadian Journey owners have reported that the light will eventually go out and the tire info in the EVIC will just read N/A if the sensors aren't detected. I'm not sure if that will happen on American models though since our government was nice enough to make TPMS a requirement.

According to Tire Rack, the 2009 Journey used different TPMS sensors than the 2012, which could very well be the problem. It looks like they're both 433Mhz, so I'm not sure what's different about them.

Some Canadian Journey owners have reported that the light will eventually go out and the tire info in the EVIC will just read N/A if the sensors aren't detected. I'm not sure if that will happen on American models though since our government was nice enough to make TPMS a requirement.

Oh well, I will just live with the light on for a few months. I knew the deal was too good to be true but I think I still made out o.k.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I JUST got home from having my winter tires installed at Costco. I had them install new aftermarket TPMS sensors on the winter rims. Just as I was getting close to home, the TPMS warning went off and declared "SERVICE SYSTEM" and displayed N/A for the tire pressures. I'm wondering if this maybe had to do with the fact that I had the 19's all piled into the back cargo area and it got confused? Mine is a 2011 and Costco made sure to install the 433mhz sensors. Anyone else with an 11 or 12 have this experience? Did it take a bit of driving for the system to lock onto the new sensors?

I JUST got home from having my winter tires installed at Costco. I had them install new aftermarket TPMS sensors on the winter rims. Just as I was getting close to home, the TPMS warning went off and declared "SERVICE SYSTEM" and displayed N/A for the tire pressures. I'm wondering if this maybe had to do with the fact that I had the 19's all piled into the back cargo area and it got confused? Mine is a 2011 and Costco made sure to install the 433mhz sensors. Anyone else with an 11 or 12 have this experience? Did it take a bit of driving for the system to lock onto the new sensors?

It does take a bit of driving for the car to auto-learn the new sensors. But I've never seen the warning come on during that time. My guess is that Costco installed the wrong sensors. Not all 433Mhz sensors are the same.