Transmission Quick learn

TheHing

My 2011 SXT has been shifting badly right from day 1. There has always been a big bog down feeling between 1 and 2 first thing in the morning. almost feels like it is going to stall. When backing into my driveway it would feel like the torque converter was slipping, really jerky, fixed that with a flash update. Then it started down shifting with a hard jolt from 3 -2 and 2-1. There were no codes so the mechanic "reset the quick learn" to factory specs and it worked fine for about 500km now it is starting to down shift with a jolt again. Anyone else have these problems? I wonder if it is possible to reset the quick learn to factory values and then turn the damn thing off! Its pretty bad when my work truck, a 5 ton GMC T8500, 6 speed Allison automatic with 500,000 km on it, up and down shifts so much smoother than my brand new Journey.

Don't know a fix but I agree there's no excuse. It's too bad Chrysler had to carry the 62TE into 2011 and mount it to the pentastar, its a chink in the armour. The 3.6 is absolutely awesome with gobs of power on tap, but it's stifled by the transmission (really my only complaint is the shift programming). Chrysler used to make bullet-proof automatics (727) but ever since FWD was introduced most of their transmissions have had problems. Basically enough reason for me to max out my extended warranty to 7 years on the R/T.

On the other hand my '69 Dodge Monaco with a 383 big-block and 727 auto: the tranny has never been opened up or fixed. The fluid and filter has been changed exactly once. Not too bad for 42 years of service.

The 'quick learn ' setting is a computerized reset for the transmission control module (or whatever it is called) back to factory. The DJ with this ability will 'learn' your driving habits and adjust to and become familiar with the speed /rpms at which the gears will shift - up or down. When going into autostick this over ridden. The DJ will 'learn" your habits and from then onward will shift when those parameters are met. So if they differ, you will / may notice a change in the shifting pattern. It is preferable to keep the same driving pattern throughout this learning process. I do not know for how long this 'learning' goes on, but I suspect once it learns a pattern it sets and locks on on it. My DJ learned quite well at first and I had no issues until I allowed a family member exclusive use of it for three weeks while I was away. The DJ learned a new habit and it was one I did not enjoy when I resumed using it. I had to 'teach' it all over again. Apparently she taught it to go fast right from the get go :shift:

Another thing I have noticed over the hundred thousand kms, I have on my 2009 SXT; It really likes the fact that the vehicle is completely stopped and the rpms are relaxed before shifting from forward to reverse and vice versa.

The 'quick learn ' setting is a computerized reset for the transmission control module (or whatever it is called) back to factory. The DJ with this ability will 'learn' your driving habits and adjust to and become familiar with the speed /rpms at which the gears will shift - up or down. When going into autostick this over ridden. The DJ will 'learn" your habits and from then onward will shift when those parameters are met. So if they differ, you will / may notice a change in the shifting pattern. It is preferable to keep the same driving pattern throughout this learning process. I do not know for how long this 'learning' goes on, but I suspect once it learns a pattern it sets and locks on on it. My DJ learned quite well at first and I had no issues until I allowed a family member exclusive use of it for three weeks while I was away. The DJ learned a new habit and it was one I did not enjoy when I resumed using it. I had to 'teach' it all over again. Apparently she taught it to go fast right from the get go :shift:

Another thing I have noticed over the hundred thousand kms, I have on my 2009 SXT; It really likes the fact that the vehicle is completely stopped and the rpms are relaxed before shifting from forward to reverse and vice versa.

I have noticed your last point as well - on my '11 RT. Going from D to R, you have to pause for a bit in neutral otherwise you will get a hard shift with a disconcerting thud. So I make a point to avoid that.

Mine wants a complete stop for D and/or R also. I understand how the quick learn is supposed to work in up shifting, I don't see why it starts to "clunk" into gear while down shifting. I also noticed while crawling along in traffic on the 401 yesterday that while on and off the gas at 40km it would engage roughly, like i was putting it in neutral and then hitting the gas before putting it in drive again. Maybe my torque converter is wonky.

When you get the vehicle back, can you tell us what upgrades are listed on your work order? If you could give us the codes or even scan the work order and upload it here, that would be most helpful.

The first time I had mine in for Jerky reverse and Cruise Control working intermittingly the invoice just says Flash Updates for PCM and BCM. that did fix both problems. My DJ was built in June and this was done in Aug, 10 days after buying the car.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2011 SXT with 6000 kms up so far. I too am experiencing a transmission thud on occasions when going from Park into reverse and from reverse into drive, mostly when the vehicle is first started. Now more conscious to move the shifter much more slowly and to pause in neutral when going through the gears. This was the same issue raised by the motor correspondent in the Globe and Mail (Canada's major newspaper) with their recent review of the Chrysler 200. Never experience this problem with our Honda CRV nor my Chevy Mailbu so believe this is more a Chrysler problem. Overall the Journey has some very positive attributes, - comfortable, bags of room and storage and well thought out features and value for money BUT I am starting to have concerns that the transmission is going to be the weak link.

If anyone finds a dealer who has a solution for the thud. please pass it on.