2011-Up radios built in amp on all

As the title states do the standard non-premium system radios have an internal or external amp? I know there are several different models used in both the 4.3 and 8.4 systems. Also I'm assuming the radios with the SD card reader will work with either the 4.3" or 8.4" display (since the shortage of 8.4" displays forced use of the 4.3" display). The reason I ask is I found just the radio section ,with SD card slot, at a salvage yard. I have to ask them if the Charger it came out of had the premium sound system or not. To install this would most likely require a trip to the dealer to have it scanned into the BCM - opinions please.

I would try to PM DodgeCares with your VIN and see if you have anything other than base entertainment group. I'm not that knowledgable about the 2011's but if it mirrors older models then you would either have the top tier audio with company logo (infinity, alpine, etc) or you have mid tier that comes with rear VES that was also amplified. Do you have a sub woofer? Check the rear driver side panel and see if you have a sub woofer, that's normally a clear sign of amplified or not. Hope that helps.

:rockon:

Omar

Omar thank you for the suggestion as that makes sense to contact Dodge. My Journey has the U4.3S with Sirius but no sub in the rear (and no logos). She just has the 6 speaker system but I was curious if they used amplified head units for all but the premium sound/visual options or used external amps on everything. It's not so simple anymore to know as it was with Bose/non-Bose GM products or Infinity/non-Infinity Chrysler products of the past.

That's so true!

The fact that you have a 6 speaker system kinda points to having an external amplifier from what I've learned. Most headunits will only handle 4, but the 4.3/8.4 are so different than it's Mygig predecessors. Oh something else I've heard that the amps on the 2011's are under the passenger seat so that's a place to check. Hopefully someone who is more versed in the 2011 models will chime in soon.

Omar

• Official Dodge Support

CoolRam,

Just as a side note, I found answering general questions about our radios is not the way to go. With so many mid year upgrades and changes and so many differing radio options and units I need a specific VIN and question(s) so I do not give you the incorrect answer.

Dodge.com has some good information about our radio systems under the for owners link.

That's so true!

The fact that you have a 6 speaker system kinda points to having an external amplifier from what I've learned. Most headunits will only handle 4, but the 4.3/8.4 are so different than it's Mygig predecessors. Oh something else I've heard that the amps on the 2011's are under the passenger seat so that's a place to check. Hopefully someone who is more versed in the 2011 models will chime in soon.

Omar

I checked under the front seat and there is indeed some type of electrical component under the edge of the passenger seat. It's under the hump just under the front edge of the seat with two separate harness going in it's direction. The carpet is split behind it but it would really have to be taken up to see what it is. The interior redo is a leap but why the change to a sound system that's only used in 3 vehicles currently (hopefully there are plans to expand). The aftermarket will be slow to respond with only the popularity of the Charger/300 making a difference. I'd hate to get this radio then find it won't work. I already know I would have to change the HVAC pod due to the SD slot.

Well fret not my friend DodgeCares is on the case now so he'll get you what you want to know.

Speaking of DC (Chris B.), can you tell me what kind of hardware would be needed for me to put a model REU mygig in my 2009(that has REN currently)? I know I'll need the screen and dash cowl, but what about connection harnesses and other possible hardware? There is so little info on that model anywhere. :banghead: I posted a thread hoping you would chime. Thanks

Omar

Edited by 19InBlkJrny

CoolRam,

Just as a side note, I found answering general questions about our radios is not the way to go. With so many mid year upgrades and changes and so many differing radio options and units I need a specific VIN and question(s) so I do not give you the incorrect answer.

Dodge.com has some good information about our radio systems under the for owners link.

DC thank you and I sent a PM with the info and any help/knowledge is greatly appreciated. And thank you also Omar.

EDIT: One thing I just thought of is the Siruis receiver a separate unit or is it built into the head unit

Edited by coolram62

I believe the sirius reciever is built-in, again not as knowledgable on new 4.3/8.4 radios. If you get brave you can pull it out and see if sirius antenna is plugged directly into the unit. I know with the older mygig's the sirius tuner is built-in.

That may be the only thing carried over to the 4.3/8.4 head units from the Mygig ones. Apparently all but the base 4.3 system has Sirius standard. I will most likely have to pull the radio to see. Then if I did install the other head unit I would have to deal with the ESN change if Siruis would transfer the service to a different radio.

• Official Dodge Support

That may be the only thing carried over to the 4.3/8.4 head units from the Mygig ones. Apparently all but the base 4.3 system has Sirius standard. I will most likely have to pull the radio to see. Then if I did install the other head unit I would have to deal with the ESN change if Siruis would transfer the service to a different radio.

You can tell what options the radio has by locating the sales code of the radio. Sales code is usually marked on bottom right of head unit on all newer radios to eliminate the guesswork.

Edited by DodgeCares

• Official Dodge Support

Thank you DC as that makes much more sense than the guessing.

Cool,

Your welcome. Once you have the sales code you can go to Dodge.com and select the For Owners link and then the radio link which shows all the different sales code option and what they include.