LF: Cargo cover for '11 5 seater

bramfrank

I ordered an SE CVP this afternoon. On Monday they will prep it and deliver it to me.

I want to get a cargo cover for it if anyone has - in Black.

Or . . . for the $1200 or so it would add, maybe I should upgrade to the SE Plus?

Now, the dodge.ca web site and the brochure (in french) differ here, but according to the brochure if you move to the SE Plus you get

- Dark tinted windows,

- Floor mats,

- Roof rack rails

- bigger, alluminum wheels,

- Leather wrapped steering wheel

- LED tail lights

- Cargo cover

- Colour-matched mirrors

- Power heated mirrors

The web site says they are the same and that the only differences are:

- Dark tinted windows

- Floor mats

- Roof rack rails

- Bigger, aliuminum wheels

- Leather look shift knob & steering wheel.

So, which is right and is it worthwhile to shoot for the 'plus'?

If the difference in price between the 2 models is only $1200, I'd probably just go with the SE. The roof rack rails are handy. Even if you don't plan to use them right now, there may be a time in the future that you do. The tinted windows are also a nice touch. And above that, you'll also get the cargo cover that you're looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Certainly, the extras are 'nice' - but given how much I am paying for the vehicle, the extra money adds about 7% to the price. And I am presuming that I can get the dealer down from the $1500 difference in MSRP - I suppose I will have to see what I can negotiate (dealers are not open here on Saturdays).

The two 'biggies' are the deep tinted glass and the cargo cover (it isn't clear that the cover IS included from the web site) - the wheels are nice, but will crank up the cost of winter tires and replacements down the road. I used to run vans and always ordered the roof racks - never once used except to hold a ski rack - and that didn't need the rails to work. It does look a bit nicer, but the rails do not include the cross pieces, just the two rails making it a decor item, rather than of any practical use.

It really would be nice if the documentation they used was consistent and the language clear.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Certainly, the extras are 'nice' - but given how much I am paying for the vehicle, the extra money adds about 7% to the price. And I am presuming that I can get the dealer down from the $1500 difference in MSRP - I suppose I will have to see what I can negotiate (dealers are not open here on Saturdays).

The two 'biggies' are the deep tinted glass and the cargo cover (it isn't clear that the cover IS included from the web site) - the wheels are nice, but will crank up the cost of winter tires and replacements down the road. I used to run vans and always ordered the roof racks - never once used except to hold a ski rack - and that didn't need the rails to work. It does look a bit nicer, but the rails do not include the cross pieces, just the two rails making it a decor item, rather than of any practical use.

It really would be nice if the documentation they used was consistent and the language clear.

It's interesting to see the difference in packaging between a US and Can trim levels. The 2011 SE model is the Express here where as the SE Plus is basically the Mainstreet without the V6. Or am I missing something and the V6/6 speed auto included in the $1200 price difference of the SE Plus? To confuse things more ,at first, the SE is back in the US lineup for 2012. The SXT reads like a mix of Mainstreet and Crew. The cargo cover goes for about $250 US from the dealer and you have to wonder if a non equipped car will have the provisions in the rear trim panels for it. The sunscreen glass is a plus but that would be the only thing that would be easy to add afterward (depending on vehicle laws where you live).

The dealer brochures are usually printed before the models hit the showroom floor and are rarely updated during the model year. The website is so much easier and less expensive to update but that fact doesn't make it any less irritating. The US website ,brochure and even the window sticker of my Mainstreet differ somewhat in equipment.

It's interesting to see the difference in packaging between a US and Can trim levels. The 2011 SE model is the Express here where as the SE Plus is basically the Mainstreet without the V6. Or am I missing something and the V6/6 speed auto included in the $1200 price difference of the SE Plus? To confuse things more ,at first, the SE is back in the US lineup for 2012. The SXT reads like a mix of Mainstreet and Crew. The cargo cover goes for about $250 US from the dealer and you have to wonder if a non equipped car will have the provisions in the rear trim panels for it. The sunscreen glass is a plus but that would be the only thing that would be easy to add afterward (depending on vehicle laws where you live).

The dealer brochures are usually printed before the models hit the showroom floor and are rarely updated during the model year. The website is so much easier and less expensive to update but that fact doesn't make it any less irritating. The US website ,brochure and even the window sticker of my Mainstreet differ somewhat in equipment.

The express and SE in Canada are both 4 cylinders.

I decided to go with the 'plus' - I have a set of snow tires for my LHS with less than 2000 miles on them that will work with the 17" wheels, saving me about $800 right there, then there was the retractable cargo cover and tinted glass which made the decision to upgrade a simple financial calculation - I gave the dealer about 15% below the MSRP for the difference - I actually paid $19,300 plus taxes OTD for the combo and picked it up yesterday.

They only had a black unit in stock - I was concerned about how much black shows everything, but I must admit that for the 30 seconds I had the vehicle before it started raining on it I was impressed with the look.

The owner's manual was missing and there was no cargo net (I called the dealer and only after leaving a message discovered that the cargo net doesn't come with the SE or SE Plus). A quick check on eBay indicates that they can be had for less than $10 delivered.

No Bluetooth, which was a bummer - there simply don't seem to be any around that have it - which I gather is Chrysler's fault for having messed with the way they describe the option; I suppose I'll just use the BT in my Garmin since no one seems to know how to add it to the vehicle. . . . . oh, well. And I miss my homelink - I can buy the sun visor on eBay for a reasonable price, but I suspect that it may not work properly (according to the manual it is integrated in some way with the alarm system) and I imagine that the connector for it isn't in the headliner - I don't want to start running wire for that - bad enough that I have to wire up the GPS tracker and navigator under the dash. The rest of the bits I can live without.

While it isn't a powerhouse by any standard, the small engine is adequate for all types of driving. There's no mistaking that it is a truck from a handling perspective . . . The stereo sounds fine - and I have an 8 Gig stick loaded with about 1700 of my favourite songs and my 17 year old daughter is upset because I wouldn't let her take it down town last night - I forced her to either get a lift or take the 2000 LHS (which is for sale) - she opted to walk to her mother's and borrow her Pontiac G5 instead, pouting that the old car was an embarrassment (it is in excellent condition, so I have no idea as to what the embarrassment might be).

All I need now is to figure out how the 2 plastic trim caps I found on the floor behind the driver's seat fit onto the ends of the seat adjustment rails . . . . .

When I was picking up the unit yesterday the delivery woman asked if I knew anyone who might want to come to their private sale on Wednesday night where they would have 'amazing prices'. I stopped and stared at her and asked if they would be more amazing than what I was just handing a check over for and she avoided the question . . . . . .I won't be happy if I discover that I could have saved a grand (or whatever) - but then prices on end-of-year models do go down, not up - and the price I paid seemed to be excellent to me when I agreed to the purchase.

In the mean time, initial impressions.are positive - lets hope the truck stays solid and provides a trouble-free operation as my LHS does.

Edited by bramfrank