How did everyone do trailer tow wiring issue?

dodgeman324

Hello everyone. So I ordered a trailer hitch receiver and will get that in the mail soon, but I'm still trying to figure out how I'll do wiring. I've read all the previous posts several times and haven't read anything on exactly how yall did your trailer wiring. So, my question is, what part did you order or your dealer order to provide a 4pin plug for trailer lights? I've talked to my dealer's parts departments, and they can find info on the part number but they all say mopar hasn't produced the part yet, so it can't even be ordered. My Journey did not have the trailer prep package or trailer tow package so I have no 4 pin wire anywhere. I've looked under there and yeah, nothing. So, since this part is not available yet, how do I go about getting a 4 pin wire harness for trailer lights? I've seen or heard of these kits that have a black box, and you tap into the brake lights and turn signal lights, and run a wire to the battery to supply power, but then I keep hearing about our LED lights not pushing enough power, so I'm confused. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm moving in a few weeks and need to tow a uhual trailer, so I need to figure out how to get trailer lights working as soon as possible. Please help. Thanks.

As far as I knew you splice the turn signal stuff via the lights. You may have to run wiring from the battery to the back to make sure there is power to the plug. That would be my best guess. Mine had the trailer tow prep, so I had the harness sitting in the cargo area when I bought mine. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Go to uHaul or similar place and have then wire your rig. They know all the issues with light contamination (filament vs LED). Companies like them get the specs direct from the factory / design group before the vehicle's are released for sale so they can prepare product for the after market. Chrysler / Dodge and other vehicle manufacturers build vehicles not towing accessories.

From what I discovered, it isn't necessarily dealing with the LED light issue, but the flash update actually enables the plug... Apparently with everything being regulated through the computer, it disables the trailer wiring until the flash update is done telling it to be turned on.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Can you please elaborate on what needs to be done in the computer (at the dealership, right?)

Do you know if there is comprehensive thread that has all steps needed to install the factory wiring?

Thanks!

From what I discovered, it isn't necessarily dealing with the LED light issue, but the flash update actually enables the plug... Apparently with everything being regulated through the computer, it disables the trailer wiring until the flash update is done telling it to be turned on.