stripe?

I like it!! I've been thinking the same, need something to make it stand out a little so its not so much like a minivan. I like you're idea here except I think I will do just a single thin line on top of the thick line. How would it look if the stripe continued on the front and read bumper a bit? I have the advantage of having a cutter plotter and the stuff to do it myself, I think I'll order some black vinyl today and give it a try.

Is that 20% tine on the front windows? Is it a good match to the deep factory tint?

You might be right, continuing the stripe on the front and rear fender might be the ticket. I'll mock it up and see if I like that.

I'm thinking of having it painted. I would mess up the vinyl probably.

you going to go gloss black or matte?

and yes, I believe that's 20%

Edited by Destination

Yeah, 20% seems to be standard for factory deep tint. From the outside it should look the same but you might notice a difference from the inside looking out. Your front windows are probably darker?

I'll be going with glossy.

For the vinyl, you can get glossy permanent, satin permanent, or matte easy-removal. The permanent is for outdoors/cars, up to 6 years life for the basic stuff. The easy removal is generally for wall that you will want to remove it from. If you are a first timer you could try that but when applying the permanent vinyl you could use a solution of 6 drops dish liquid to 1 cup of water and spray that on the car first. It gives a few minutes to work with the vinyl and get it just right. Also, to keep it straight, tape a piece of string from the front to the back pulled tight for a guide. You can use a level to make sure the string is even (assuming your car is level) or you can just eye ball the string.

To remove vinyl you can use a heat gun, just don't leave it on too long but your paint should be able to take quite a bit of heat.

Edited by derfnl

I've had experience applying permanent vinyl in a variety of situations; signs, cars. shop windows, but nothing quite that long and needing to be that straight, so I'll def go with paint. I don't mind paying a few bucks for a good auto body shop spray job. I had the hood of my Focus striped when it was brand new and the shop did a sweet job for a reasonable price.

Yup, the tint has a slight difference both while looking at it from the outside, and when looking from the inside. It's negligible and quite easy to live with. I just recently did my gf's Subaru Forester the same way, so I knew what it was going to look like.

keep this post in mind if you do your stripes. I'll be interested to see them.

here's your idea with the stripe on the front and rear fenders. looks good:

5962010136_5cd27bfa3f_b.jpg

Edited by Destination

I have an odd request.... can someone measure the space on the door where these stripes will go? The wife is gone with the Journey till Monday and I have an idea to add onto Destinations design... I want to put the new Dodge logo inside the black strip towards the back but there doesn't seem to be much space to work with so need to be close on with the measurements.

I'll share the design once its done... thanks!

Here is what I was thinking. This is a quick and dirty mock up done in Paint .net. Once I get home to my computer with Adobe, I have the vector image of the Dodge logo so it will look much better. This is how it would look on simulated mango tango (which is what I have). post-4020-0-62696300-1311342547_thumb.pn

That does look awesome! And lucky for me, I think that'll be a mod my misses will actually be on board for! :happy feet:

BUT, what colors do you all suggests for us brilliant black journeys? I have a 09 R/T, brilliant black with "chrome" accents.

You can get the vinyl in mirror silver finish that would look like chrome but the site i use says its life is only 2 years outdoors. You can also get a carbon fiber looking vinyl... not sure if that would show up... might be subtle enough. If i had black i'd do orange stripes like attached.

post-4020-0-37062900-1311643512_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

So I don't have any picts to load up but I have a black 2011 R/T so I am thinking about having the partial stripe across the hood and front fender with the R/T logo at the bottom of it just like some of the new Challenger and Nitro's have.....thinking about getting it done in red so it will match the red interior stitching....thoughts or opinions??

So I don't have any picts to load up but I have a black 2011 R/T so I am thinking about having the partial stripe across the hood and front fender with the R/T logo at the bottom of it just like some of the new Challenger and Nitro's have.....thinking about getting it done in red so it will match the red interior stitching....thoughts or opinions??

I like that, a lot. I wanted to do an offset stripe down the hood and the length of the Journey, but the wife wouldn't buy into that... being a 'family' car and all :) I think my 10 month old twins would appreciate it ;)

That being said, I finally got my vinyl in a few days ago to do the stripe down the bottom of the door like the picture above. I have the measurements all done and just need to do a few test cuts since its my first time working with car vinyl. Since the weather has been so terrible here (fog and rain all summer) I really haven't had a chance to so much as wax it since I got it 3 weeks ago :(

turns out when the girlfriend said "just leave it alone for now"... it was because she was trying to arrange to have the car striped for me as a surprise birthday gift. She realized she couldn't pull that off, so she told me last night to get quotes on getting the stripe painted and she'll pay for it. what a great gf (for more reasons than just this)

wuhoo!

I like that, a lot. I wanted to do an offset stripe down the hood and the length of the Journey, but the wife wouldn't buy into that... being a 'family' car and all :) I think my 10 month old twins would appreciate it ;)

That being said, I finally got my vinyl in a few days ago to do the stripe down the bottom of the door like the picture above. I have the measurements all done and just need to do a few test cuts since its my first time working with car vinyl. Since the weather has been so terrible here (fog and rain all summer) I really haven't had a chance to so much as wax it since I got it 3 weeks ago :(

Family car but not minivan! LOL You have to have something to set them apart....ours is a family vehicle too but we are both into sporty and beefy vehicles so hubby is ok with whatever I want to do with it!! Plus the fact that he thinks its sooo funny to say that ever minivan we see he says "look there's another journey...oh wait its a minivan" haha not very funny I say! :rant2: So to that I say go with the stripes! When you get the weather to put yours on a pict would be cool :) BTW I will trade you our daily 110 temps with NO rain for your fog and rain! LOL

Family car but not minivan! LOL You have to have something to set them apart....ours is a family vehicle too but we are both into sporty and beefy vehicles so hubby is ok with whatever I want to do with it!! Plus the fact that he thinks its sooo funny to say that ever minivan we see he says "look there's another journey...oh wait its a minivan" haha not very funny I say! :rant2: So to that I say go with the stripes! When you get the weather to put yours on a pict would be cool :) BTW I will trade you our daily 110 temps with NO rain for your fog and rain! LOL

I like your thinking DJ11, although your husband sounds a little wimpy. Go for the stripes. :dogwalk:

• 3 months later...