Think of buying (Help!)

Hello. First post. I've been looking at the Dodge Journey online, yet to see one on a lot yet, but as far as pictures go I like the looks, hate the dash, but overall I like it. It seems that the reviews for the Journey are really poor from most well respected reviewing sites (poor mpg, poor quality, etc.). I need something in the low $20's, 7 seats, and warranty. Please help me with my decision, why should I buy the Journy. I own a 06 Dakota and really like it, sucks on gas, but I like it. I'm really having a hard time over looking these poor reviews, please help me. Thanks.

Well I live in Tennessee and from what I have seen on the lots here you may have a hard time finding a Journey with a third row in the low 20's. I traded a 04 Explorer for my 4 cyl. FWD Journey and I love it. I get around 23 mpg (city- I haven't took it on hwy yet) and compared to about 12-13 with my V-8 Explorer I am very happy. The Journey drives and handles great. I feel like you get the best features of a car and an SUV rolled into one. Plus it is also pretty cool to be the only one in your neighborhood with a Journey. I think once you drive it you will be sold.

Hello. First post. I've been looking at the Dodge Journey online, yet to see one on a lot yet, but as far as pictures go I like the looks, hate the dash, but overall I like it. It seems that the reviews for the Journey are really poor from most well respected reviewing sites (poor mpg, poor quality, etc.). I need something in the low $20's, 7 seats, and warranty. Please help me with my decision, why should I buy the Journy. I own a 06 Dakota and really like it, sucks on gas, but I like it. I'm really having a hard time over looking these poor reviews, please help me. Thanks.

I only put so much creedance the reviews. Those guys test so many cars that I think they pick out things I'd never notice. I read the reviews. Then I test drove the car. I also test drove a ford escape, a Rav-4, a Saturn Vue, a Potiac Vibe and a Honda Pilot.

The dodge may not have won in all of our "want this" categories, but it was the best fit and by far the best price.

Test drive a Journey and then decide

I only put so much creedance the reviews. Those guys test so many cars that I think they pick out things I'd never notice. I read the reviews. Then I test drove the car. I also test drove a ford escape, a Rav-4, a Saturn Vue, a Potiac Vibe and a Honda Pilot.

The dodge may not have won in all of our "want this" categories, but it was the best fit and by far the best price.

Test drive a Journey and then decide

I agree, I test drove an AWD model and after the drive, I was sold. Dealer couldn't find what we wanted or color so an order was placed, March 14th

I too have read the reviews and after being on this forum with other owners, I know the reviews are crap. There is one owner here who has a "lemon" but I do believe it was never PDI'd or if it was it was a rushed one, whatever.

Read through some members posts who own the Journey here and you will see for yourself.

also there is a member here who traded there Durrango cause the fuel milage and are very happy with making the trade, member name slips my mind (like ever thing else :hysterical: )

Rob

Remember that most of the car magazine arrticles are written by car enthusiasts....people who like motor racing, sports cars, etc. I consider myself as such, a car enthusiast. The Journey is not a sports car, it is not a $50K touring sedan. It is however in my mind the best cross over available at this time for the price. It is extremely well thought out, handles well, safe, and for cross over...good looking. A 7 passenger version optioned modestly will be in the mid 20's. As others have said, you can't and shouldn't buy a car on anyone's review, go to your dealer and drive one. Try a FWD version, try an AWD version, take into account where do you live, do you have snow, hills, curvy roads? We have had ours 3 weeks and 800 miles, and we are very pleased. We looked at a dozen or more comparables.....and based on our lifestyle there is no doubt we made the right choice.

I've put nearly 6000 miles on my Journey in two months (I work out of Detroit, but live in the Chicago area...go figure...luckily my work is paying for my car.)

I have to say, the Journey is the most versatile, smoothest riding car I've ever owned. Its fantastic. Its not perfect, and yes, the instruments look like they're straight out of a Dodge Aires. But, its just a great, well made well thought out car.

My family and I love it.

This is not a totally unbiased reply, I have always been a dodge boy (pro domestic as I live in the Windsor/Motor City area) I'll admit I read some reveiws that were not to great but I was not to concerned about reliability and the fact its the first year model because I have had relatively good experiences with my previous chrysler/dodge cars and currently my 98 Intrepid has 225,000 km's on it and she still runs great - even with it never having had a tune up / change the plugs, just regular maint. I replaced the tie rod ends and sway bar links and had a cracked rad (which was probably my fault) so under 1500 in unexpected repairs, not bad with 225,000km if you ask me.

I look for the best bang for the buck, and if you take your pre concieved notions about quality away from this you will be hard pressed to find anything out there with the Journeys features/performance for the price. The best thing you can do is take a test drive, drive the competitors... compare features for the money then make your decision.

Good luck!

I get all the car mags, also. I'm really surprised nobody has stood up for how great the Journey is. I test drove lots of things, including the almighty Highlander and Acadia. We could get a loaded SXT for 8-10 thousand less than a stripped version of either of the above. However, after test driving, we WANTED the Journey over everything else.

In last month's Motor Trend, they had a comparo and the Journey came in 5th out of 5. However, when reading the comments, the only negative thing they had to say about it was "hard leather seats." The Ford Edge came in 3rd, and they had the same complaint about it, plus more. It didn't make sense to me. They are not giving the Journey a chance.

Test drive the Journey. You'll love it. You'll buy it. Then you can write your own review. :cheerleader:

We weren't in the market for a new vehicle until we saw the Journey. We have an Escape that we kept and it is still a fine vehicle. My wife had been slightly interested in a seven passenger crossover or SUV, but not enough to buy one. We were intrigued by the Journey upon the glowing recommendation of a friend. We test drove one and that was that! It is the smoothest and quietest vehicle I have ever owned. The standard features are remarkable for the price point. The lifetime powertrain warranty put my mind at ease about reliability concerns. I have read all the reviews and wonder which car they drove.

Look, there's some aspects that the reviewers did get right, but there's plenty they just chose to overlook or just plain got wrong.

1. The interior: Yes, it suffers from the same problem that afflicts all Dodge models right now. It looks cheap! It's not poorly put together, just the textures and choice of materials makes it look rather plain and uninspired. Combined with the fact that the Journey is designed to be setup as a right-hand drive vehicle (think foreign markets), the dash is rather symmetrical with the instrument cluster jammed onto one panel in the dash. The R/T spruces things up with a few simulated chrome accents, but by no means passes as a luxury interior.

2. The seats: I've read reviewers complaining about the seats as hard and unsupportive. I do not find this to be the case. Yes, they are not as plush and have the cushiness of a Lazy-boy, as perhaps found in the seats of some cars, but really I have to say that some seats are often made too soft to make up for a poor suspension system, and ultimately don't support you enough to properly drive. It's really a matter of preference, but I find that they're fine in the comfort department.

A tangent on seating: The seats in the Journey sit higher off of the floor pan than any other crossover I tried. The first time I sat down in a Journey, it felt much like sitting in the seat of my Ram. With your feet flat on the floor, your thighs are horizontal, not up in the air. The leg room is ample in the first and second rows, unlike many of the imports. FWIW, I stand 5' 10". So, if you like how you sit in your Dakota, you'll probably appreciate how you sit in a Journey.

3. Fuel economy: Yes, it's a couple clicks below a RAV-4, but a RAV-4 is also several clicks smaller. I have the 3.5L V6 and am getting 20-21MPG with everyday driving, which I expect to improve slightly as the engine loosens up. They can say what they want about the economy, but the truth is that it's virtually inline with anything comparable. You want 30+? Start looking at cars, or the wannabe crossovers that have even a difficult time seating four.

4. Reliability: So it's a new model...so what? This closet skeleton never seems to go away like the notion of avoiding cars built on a Monday or a Friday. 3/36,000 bumper to bumper and a lifetime powertrain warranty (engine, transmission, CV joints). If reliability for some reason becomes an issue, you're probably not going to have to pay for it. The 3.5L engine isn't new, having been around for at least a decade, though mildly updated through the years. The platform isn't new either. It's the Avenger, with a slightly longer wheelbase.

I think the reviewers often overlooked a lot of the little things that were originally rolled out in the Caliber, such as the "chill zone", rechargeable flashlight, and all of the ample storage compartments scattered throughout.

The ride is very quiet, and quite smooth, even with the touring suspension and 19" tires. Acceleration is good for this type of car, and the engine noise at high RPM still remains just above a whisper (unlike the RAV-4 Limited I tried).

Ultimately, you need to try one (or several differently equipped ones) out yourself. For the price, I think you'll be mildly impressed by the value.

One last thing that may not be applicable (but was for me): I put my daughter's rearward-facing car seat into every vehicle I tried. Only in the Journey could I have the driver's seat all the way back and still not hit the car seat. In contrast, the Subaru I tried, not only could I not get the LATCH system to work, but the car seat still didn't even fit with the driver's seat all of the way forward!

Look, there's some aspects that the reviewers did get right, but there's plenty they just chose to overlook or just plain got wrong.

1. The interior: Yes, it suffers from the same problem that afflicts all Dodge models right now. It looks cheap! It's not poorly put together, just the textures and choice of materials makes it look rather plain and uninspired. Combined with the fact that the Journey is designed to be setup as a right-hand drive vehicle (think foreign markets), the dash is rather symmetrical with the instrument cluster jammed onto one panel in the dash. The R/T spruces things up with a few simulated chrome accents, but by no means passes as a luxury interior.

2. The seats: I've read reviewers complaining about the seats as hard and unsupportive. I do not find this to be the case. Yes, they are not as plush and have the cushiness of a Lazy-boy, as perhaps found in the seats of some cars, but really I have to say that some seats are often made too soft to make up for a poor suspension system, and ultimately don't support you enough to properly drive. It's really a matter of preference, but I find that they're fine in the comfort department.

A tangent on seating: The seats in the Journey sit higher off of the floor pan than any other crossover I tried. The first time I sat down in a Journey, it felt much like sitting in the seat of my Ram. With your feet flat on the floor, your thighs are horizontal, not up in the air. The leg room is ample in the first and second rows, unlike many of the imports. FWIW, I stand 5' 10". So, if you like how you sit in your Dakota, you'll probably appreciate how you sit in a Journey.

3. Fuel economy: Yes, it's a couple clicks below a RAV-4, but a RAV-4 is also several clicks smaller. I have the 3.5L V6 and am getting 20-21MPG with everyday driving, which I expect to improve slightly as the engine loosens up. They can say what they want about the economy, but the truth is that it's virtually inline with anything comparable. You want 30+? Start looking at cars, or the wannabe crossovers that have even a difficult time seating four.

4. Reliability: So it's a new model...so what? This closet skeleton never seems to go away like the notion of avoiding cars built on a Monday or a Friday. 3/36,000 bumper to bumper and a lifetime powertrain warranty (engine, transmission, CV joints). If reliability for some reason becomes an issue, you're probably not going to have to pay for it. The 3.5L engine isn't new, having been around for at least a decade, though mildly updated through the years. The platform isn't new either. It's the Avenger, with a slightly longer wheelbase.

I think the reviewers often overlooked a lot of the little things that were originally rolled out in the Caliber, such as the "chill zone", rechargeable flashlight, and all of the ample storage compartments scattered throughout.

The ride is very quiet, and quite smooth, even with the touring suspension and 19" tires. Acceleration is good for this type of car, and the engine noise at high RPM still remains just above a whisper (unlike the RAV-4 Limited I tried).

Ultimately, you need to try one (or several differently equipped ones) out yourself. For the price, I think you'll be mildly impressed by the value.

One last thing that may not be applicable (but was for me): I put my daughter's rearward-facing car seat into every vehicle I tried. Only in the Journey could I have the driver's seat all the way back and still not hit the car seat. In contrast, the Subaru I tried, not only could I not get the LATCH system to work, but the car seat still didn't even fit with the driver's seat all of the way forward!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really interested in a SXT, with convenience group 1, and flex seating. Wonder what kind of deal I could get. How low do you think payments would be on this type of package? I just hope I can fit it in the budget. Credit is good, gonna make a trade, reallying hoping it will works.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really interested in a SXT, with convenience group 1, and flex seating. Wonder what kind of deal I could get. How low do you think payments would be on this type of package? I just hope I can fit it in the budget. Credit is good, gonna make a trade, reallying hoping it will works.

If you do a 60 month repayment, figure roughly $100 for every $5,000 of car.

I'd recommend that you go price one out at www.dodge.com using their vehicle configurator. It will give you the MSRP, plus whatever discounts are currently in effect. From there, go to edmunds.com, and enter same configuration as close as you can. It will give you a rather good estimate of what the invoice price is, as well as what something like what you want would generally go for. At that point, you should have a reasonable idea on what price you need haggle out with your dealer.

If you do a 60 month repayment, figure roughly $100 for every $5,000 of car.

I'd recommend that you go price one out at www.dodge.com using their vehicle configurator. It will give you the MSRP, plus whatever discounts are currently in effect. From there, go to edmunds.com, and enter same configuration as close as you can. It will give you a rather good estimate of what the invoice price is, as well as what something like what you want would generally go for. At that point, you should have a reasonable idea on what price you need haggle out with your dealer.

I Agree! That came out to within about $200 of what we agreed on for a price.