7-pin connector

Elwood011

Hi,

I have seen a lot of posts asking about 7-pin connectors, but none seem to answer exactly what I am looking for. I installed an after market Draw Tite hitch and the wiring harness from etrailer.com for my 2009 SXT. I want to haul a pop up camper with a 7-pin connector. The wiring harness only has the 4-pin connector. I have no problem connecting the 7-pin adapter to run the tail lights, and it works great. The trailer does not have electric brakes.

However, I would like to be able to connect the battery charging wire, which charges the campers on-board battery while towing, and the auxillary power to run the 12v refrigerator while towing. Has anybody attempted this? I am sure most people leave the extra 2 wires from the adapter hanging. It would be great if I wouldn't have to run these wires up to the battery, but I am guessing I will have no choice.

Also, I noticed that my fuse box contains a lot of fuses for stuff my Journey doesn't have, like power lift gate, heated seats and sunroof. Do these wires exist and just end someplace? It would be nice to just tap into those and be all set.

Hi,

I have seen a lot of posts asking about 7-pin connectors, but none seem to answer exactly what I am looking for. I installed an after market Draw Tite hitch and the wiring harness from etrailer.com for my 2009 SXT. I want to haul a pop up camper with a 7-pin connector. The wiring harness only has the 4-pin connector. I have no problem connecting the 7-pin adapter to run the tail lights, and it works great. The trailer does not have electric brakes.

However, I would like to be able to connect the battery charging wire, which charges the campers on-board battery while towing, and the auxillary power to run the 12v refrigerator while towing. Has anybody attempted this? I am sure most people leave the extra 2 wires from the adapter hanging. It would be great if I wouldn't have to run these wires up to the battery, but I am guessing I will have no choice.

Also, I noticed that my fuse box contains a lot of fuses for stuff my Journey doesn't have, like power lift gate, heated seats and sunroof. Do these wires exist and just end someplace? It would be nice to just tap into those and be all set.

Even if these wires existed somewhere else, they maybe too small to handle the load of charging the battery in the trailer. I just ran a wire direct from the battery to the back. Be sure to install a 20 amp breaker inline and use 10 or 12 gauge wire to handle the current.

Have Fun

Perry

My 2009 SXT came with the Mopar harness. It is wired direct into the control module / fusebox on the firewall. All of its fuses and circuit breakers are stored in the compartment where the jack is kept. The cable runs out the side wallI to the bumper mount. It supplies lighting as well as power to the battery charging / refer etc. An extra wire is gone off to the brake controller. It ends in the rear bumper with a 7/4 pin outlet so I can plug in either the 7 pin camper or the 4 pin utility trailer. It seems that late in the game Dodge was giving out a kit that tapped into the wiring in the rear lights which is really not any great help to the 7 pin users.