2011 Journey - brakes squealing since day one

Hey guys

I have about 2000kms on my Journey and the brakes have been squealing since day one. This seems to happen when I first start driving the car and after a few minutes they stop squealing.

I haven't gone to the dealer yet but I wanted to know if I was the only one this was happening to.

My apologies if that has been posted already I didn't search thoroughly.

Thanks!

Hey guys

I have about 2000kms on my Journey and the brakes have been squealing since day one. This seems to happen when I first start driving the car and after a few minutes they stop squealing.

I haven't gone to the dealer yet but I wanted to know if I was the only one this was happening to.

Thanks!

Mine started squealing when I back down my steep driveway. They don't do it going forward. Once the car(brakes) are warm they won't do it. The car has 500 miles on it. :mad:

Mine started squealing when I back down my steep driveway. They don't do it going forward. Once the car(brakes) are warm they won't do it. The car has 500 miles on it. :mad:

Mine does it going forward. I will bring it back to the dealer as soon as I have a minute. Weird. I see alot of posts regarding the brakes...

Hey guys

Thanks!

9000km on my Journey and mine do the same thing as well from time to time. I had the dealer look at it, they said they couldn't see anything wrong. It pisses my wife off more then me, but as I am due for an oil change, I will have them look at breakes again and report back :)

I have a 2011 RT with 2000kms on it and they tend to squeak a little when the car has been sitting a while and especially after they have been wet. Had a mechanic (not affiliated with Chrysler) friend drive the car and he said that it is normal especially after a rain fall that there be a little squeeking. He said it is only a problem it presists after a few kms of driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has been doing this ever since it started getting warmer out. I have a 2011 Crew. It's just awful, so loud, so ear piercing. It does seem to go away after a while, but there's really no method to their madness. They tend to do it most when i first start the vehicle and start to drive, and eventually it goes away. Other times, I start it up and they're fine, but about 20 minutes into my drive it starts doing it then. It's getting really irritating. I just started getting my oil change due notices when I start the car up, so thankfully it's going in for an oil change and I'm going to have them look into the brakes issue too, because it's driving me mad. I've only got 6000km's on it also.

Edited by brandon27

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting -- I'm having the same issue here...

Guess I'd better talk to the dealer...

If anyone has gotten any satisfaction (or not) our of their dealers -- please post here for the benefit of all of us...

our brakes just started squealing, 5000 kms, my wife took the car in and the mechanic told her a caliper was sticking.

we will see

Edited by truckingmouse

For those who got it fixed, was it the same issue as above, a stuck caliper? I've only had my Journey for 2 weeks and have the brakes squeal at very low speeds, less than 10km/hr, but cannot replicate when braking from a faster speed.

I was starting to think it was a stuck calliper as well. I read online somewhere to check to see if there was a ton of heat coming off any of the wheels more so then others once you have driven for awhile. I checked on mine and the left front was super hot, the other three were ok.

A friend of mine and thought it might just be cheap rotors (I do have the same problem, started around 2000kms, at 5500 now). Seems to be just after sitting for a few hours. The thought of it being a stuck caliper makes me want to take it in though. Please do let us know if that fixes it!!

Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one, yet disappointed there are so many. I have 5500km on my 2011 SXT and the squeaking started at about 4500km. Doesn't squeak all the time, but usually after driving a few kms. I'm due for an oil change and will have them look at the breaks. I thought maybe there was too much dust getting on the rotors as I have very open 19" rims.

Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one, yet disappointed there are so many. I have 5500km on my 2011 SXT and the squeaking started at about 4500km. Doesn't squeak all the time, but usually after driving a few kms. I'm due for an oil change and will have them look at the breaks. I thought maybe there was too much dust getting on the rotors as I have very open 19" rims.

Going to dealer Friday at 9am. I'll let you guys know what they say...

After going in for the 3rd time to have this issue looked at, my dealer put all new pads on under warranty, so far, so good (knock on wood). real test will come tomorrow when we drive the Journey into work, the problem happens a lot in stop and go traffic.... Will update later.

A friend of mine and thought it might just be cheap rotors (I do have the same problem, started around 2000kms, at 5500 now). Seems to be just after sitting for a few hours. The thought of it being a stuck caliper makes me want to take it in though. Please do let us know if that fixes it!!

what ever the dealer done to the calipers the brakes have not squealed again, driven about 700 kms.

After going in for the 3rd time to have this issue looked at, my dealer put all new pads on under warranty, so far, so good (knock on wood). real test will come tomorrow when we drive the Journey into work, the problem happens a lot in stop and go traffic.... Will update later.

Which dealership do you use in Toronto? Are you happy with their service? I've used Paul Willison once but am thinking of switching to Downsview, since it is closer to my home and I've used them for service before.

So I went to the dealership last Friday. Obviously the brakes didn't squeal while I was there so they couldn't diagnose the problem properly.

The one thing they did was sand the pads and lubrify the calipers. So far so good. No squealing since. Will it last though...I'll keep you posted!

Which dealership do you use in Toronto? Are you happy with their service? I've used Paul Willison once but am thinking of switching to Downsview, since it is closer to my home and I've used them for service before.

I live out past Oshawa so it would be a bit of a drive for you :)

Just an update, I took mine in early this morning and they ended up replacing pads and rotors on mine. Mine only had 1900kms and it was squealing from day one of pick up.

Glad service did this quick and also didn't give me run around. I suggest if you guys have the same issue, get it checked asap.

Just a follow up to this. Since they put new break pads on, not a noise at all! I got the paper work from the dealer via mail as they didn't have it at the time i went to pickup the journey. They wrote in as normal, couldn't recreate the problem, but they guess that the old break pads were to hard which was causing the problem???? Does that even make sense?