Garmin GPS Map Updates

I have the 2011 Journey RT with the Garmin Nav system and was wondering how to keep the maps up to date. I assume that I have the latest map at this time, but when I went to the Garmin website to look at update packages, you can buy lifetime updates, but they are for their handheld models and never refer to factory systems life the 8.4N. So my question is first, are there any updates available and how often does Gamin update and second, where are the updates for these maps located. I cannot imagine having to go to the dealer every time I want to update the GPS system.

I have the 2011 Journey RT with the Garmin Nav system and was wondering how to keep the maps up to date.

That is a whole can of worms. I have a 2010 Dodge Journey R/T and the nav system uses the Navteq system. I am on my second upgrade to my system which incidentally cost $199 per up grade. The first one went very well but the second one Navteq is having a known problem with, and after 2 weeks it is not solved yet. Needless to say I'm not very happy with Navteq at the moment.

I know the 2011's use a Garmin system, which in my experience is much better. I have 4 GPS units, one for all my Nikon cameras, 2 Garmin hand held units, and a Garmin Nuvi 250W. When I bought the Nuvi two years ago, I purchased the "Lifetime" update. Everytime I connect my GPS to either of my computers it tells me if my map is current or if my software needs upgrading.

To answer the OP's question you may have to look on the car's GPS as to where to upgrade. If it is similiar to the Navteq system, the upgrades come to you on a DVD and you just insert into your car's CD player and let it work it's magic.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the model number of the Garmin Navigation system included in the Journey?

I've been to the Garmin site but no luck.

I am trying to add new voices (since there are only 3 to choose from) and new vehicle icons.

Is this possible? Anyone have directions? Model number?

I have the 2011 Journey RT with the Garmin Nav system and was wondering how to keep the maps up to date. I assume that I have the latest map at this time, but when I went to the Garmin website to look at update packages, you can buy lifetime updates, but they are for their handheld models and never refer to factory systems life the 8.4N. So my question is first, are there any updates available and how often does Gamin update and second, where are the updates for these maps located. I cannot imagine having to go to the dealer every time I want to update the GPS system.

You have to contact U Connect--the phone number is on line

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the model number of the Garmin Navigation system included in the Journey?

I've been to the Garmin site but no luck.

I am trying to add new voices (since there are only 3 to choose from) and new vehicle icons.

Is this possible? Anyone have directions? Model number?

As per Garmin, you cannot add voices or vehicle icons to the 2011 Dodge Journey gps system