Who here had a dead battery on a new '11?

Unpleasant surprise this morning...hopped in the R/T to go to work this morning and...DEAD BATTERY!

Somebody else here experienced the same thing, also on a new '11. As I recall they figured it was due to the "auto" function for the headlamps.

I've noticed once or twice now that I'll go to my car (park inside a parkade at work) and see that the instrument cluster lights are on (but no other lights on). I've tried changing the power-off time delay settings...not sure at this point if that prevents the problem.

There must be quite a short or drain when this happens, because just having the instrument lights on is not going to kill a battery in 8-10 hrs.

Whoever this happened to...can you chime in please? Was their a fix?

Thanks.

Hasn't happened to me yet but I wanted to comment about the instrument cluster lights being on.

Is it possible those lights just came on at the instant you touched the driver's door handle and you didn't notice? That is what happens in my Journey. Also, if I grab the driver's door handle when the Journey is locked, even without having the key anywhere near the vehicle, the instrument panel lights up for a minute or two but it always turns off. I can see it happening when the key is in the vicinity of the car but don't know why it also happens when the key is nowhere close to the vehicle.

I've had this happen to me once... It was a few weeks ago. Got into it one morning, and it wouldn't start... Everything else seemed to work so the battery wasn't completely dead, but was dead enough that the motor wouldn't turn over... It hasn't happened since then.... Was the strangest thing. It never occurred to me that it was the battery (since nothing was left on, and the gauges/radio/accessories all still worked, so I assumed something happened with the starter or something). THe tow truck driver came out and checked a few things, and decided to jump it as a last resort before towing it, and it worked.

Edited by Armendegga

Hasn't happened to me yet but I wanted to comment about the instrument cluster lights being on.

Is it possible those lights just came on at the instant you touched the driver's door handle and you didn't notice? That is what happens in my Journey. Also, if I grab the driver's door handle when the Journey is locked, even without having the key anywhere near the vehicle, the instrument panel lights up for a minute or two but it always turns off. I can see it happening when the key is in the vicinity of the car but don't know why it also happens when the key is nowhere close to the vehicle.

No, I was about 25 feet away and immediatly noticed the gauge cluster and EVIC were lit. I think this has happened twice now. Now I''ve been watching to see everything turn off when I leave the vehicle.

If the lamps go on when touching the door handle, even w/o keys - this must be the illuminated entry feature that I recall reading was part of the equipment package(?)

I'm still trying to figure out all the specifics of how the keyless enter 'n go system operates - there's more to it than what meets the eye IMO.

I've had this happen to me once... It was a few weeks ago. Got into it one morning, and it wouldn't start... Everything else seemed to work so the battery wasn't completely dead, but was dead enough that the motor wouldn't turn over... It hasn't happened since then.... Was the strangest thing. It never occurred to me that it was the battery (since nothing was left on, and the gauges/radio/accessories all still worked, so I assumed something happened with the starter or something). THe tow truck driver came out and checked a few things, and decided to jump it as a last resort before towing it, and it worked.

My lights, gauges, accessories all worked as well but as you say there wasn' enough juice to crank the motor. Also I did notice that the charging symbol (red lightning bolt) registered on the EVIC. So I was convinced something had drained the battery all night.

I used the 75amp engine cranking feature on my battery charger to start it, and it did work. Last night I trickle-charged the battery and it took a charge the entire evening, so something had really drained the battery.

Only thing I can think of that would do this is the headlamp lights coming on and staying on. interior lamps shut off after 5 mins of being left on. instrument lamps would not drain a battery in that time frame.

I guess there's nothing to do but play the "wait and see" game!

Well....I wouldn't count on it not happening again. I bought my 2011 Journey Crew in Febuary 2011 and after only 6 days of having the car, the battery went dead after leaving it over night. I too, thought it was a fluke, but it happened again 4 days later. Called the dealership and they said I would have to wait 5 days until they could get it in to be looked at for repair. Ridiculous in my opinion since we had the car less than a week and we're having problems already. We had to jump start the car until we could get it into the garage. The first trip to the garage they said it was a defective battery. So they replaced the battery and we got the car back later that day. TWO DAYS LATER the same thing happened when I tried to start the car. LOUD clicking noises coming from the engine area, an then nothing, dead battery. We jumped started the car, and the car alarm goes off. Nice wake up call for the neighbors bright and early. We make an appointment and get it into the garage immediately. The garage had it another 7 days and they gave it back after telling us they "could not reproduce the problem". About TWO weeks later, I go out to start the car and now, all the accessories come on, but the the car will not to turn over to start. The information screen starts flashing a different language, the interior lights flash, the temperature display reads -40 degrees. Well, this time the battery is NOT dead. I do not feel that I should be responsible for jump starting my car for the 8th time after only owning it a month and a half. We call the towing assistance, they come and tow it to a different dealership this time that is closer to our house. They have it three days and return it to us after stating "cannot reproduce the problem". About 2 and half weeks later, the same thing happens again. RIDICULOUS. We call towing assistance, they come and tow it to the garage closer to our house, they have it for five days then return it stating...you guessed it, "cannot reproduce the problem". Now, Dodge requests we take it to the original dealership to have some tests done, they have it for about 10 days, and it is returned to us with a reciept saying "cannot reproduce the problem." FIVE TIMES IN THE GARAGE IN THREE MONTHS!!!!

I check it every night, several times a night. Nothing inside the car it on. Any Suggestions?

Well....I wouldn't count on it not happening again. I bought my 2011 Journey Crew in Febuary 2011 and after only 6 days of having the car, the battery went dead after leaving it over night. I too, thought it was a fluke, but it happened again 4 days later. Called the dealership and they said I would have to wait 5 days until they could get it in to be looked at for repair. Ridiculous in my opinion since we had the car less than a week and we're having problems already. We had to jump start the car until we could get it into the garage. The first trip to the garage they said it was a defective battery. So they replaced the battery and we got the car back later that day. TWO DAYS LATER the same thing happened when I tried to start the car. LOUD clicking noises coming from the engine area, an then nothing, dead battery. We jumped started the car, and the car alarm goes off. Nice wake up call for the neighbors bright and early. We make an appointment and get it into the garage immediately. The garage had it another 7 days and they gave it back after telling us they "could not reproduce the problem". About TWO weeks later, I go out to start the car and now, all the accessories come on, but the the car will not to turn over to start. The information screen starts flashing a different language, the interior lights flash, the temperature display reads -40 degrees. Well, this time the battery is NOT dead. I do not feel that I should be responsible for jump starting my car for the 8th time after only owning it a month and a half. We call the towing assistance, they come and tow it to a different dealership this time that is closer to our house. They have it three days and return it to us after stating "cannot reproduce the problem". About 2 and half weeks later, the same thing happens again. RIDICULOUS. We call towing assistance, they come and tow it to the garage closer to our house, they have it for five days then return it stating...you guessed it, "cannot reproduce the problem". Now, Dodge requests we take it to the original dealership to have some tests done, they have it for about 10 days, and it is returned to us with a reciept saying "cannot reproduce the problem." FIVE TIMES IN THE GARAGE IN THREE MONTHS!!!!

I check it every night, several times a night. Nothing inside the car it on. Any Suggestions?

Either one hell of a short, or the PCM is not applying the correct voltage/current to the starter to engage the engine. But when I charged my battery after it happened, it took a charge the entire night - so something drained the battery big time!

Edited by Geer

Just wanted to post back with an update.. This still has not yet happened to me again... Oddly enough, same as you jjm001, my dead battery occurred about a week after I bought it. Fingers crossed that they can finally figure out what is going on with yours. Not sure how feasible or possible, but with the number of times it is happening for you, if you have a cell phone/camera that takes video, take a video of when it is occurring showing you are seeing - especially the latest time with the different languages/temp readings... At least to show them some evidence that this is continuing to happen.

I had to jump mine twice in 4 months. The only thing plugged in was a cell phone charger with a small indicator light. I noticed just before it went dead the automatic temperature controller would either be off or set at a different temp. then what it should have been when it was started up. I unplugged the charger and (cross my fingers) hasn't happened again.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my Crew in April 2011 , has 1600 miles on it and the battery was dead today. Nothing left on , tow truck guy jumped it nothing. Had to charge the battery and for now it seems fine but I think that there is real problem according to some posts that I read on Edmunds.

Edited by MichelleShimonis

I don't know that it's the battery, there seems to be something more random happening.

It happened to me as described above on two occasions. First time, Chrystler Roadside Assistance towed it in, found nothing and returned it to me. Days later, same thing. I jumped it, drove it in and dropped it off. They had it for 5 days and never saw any issues. When my wife and I came to pick it up the car's dashboard "woke up" as we approached the vehicle with her FOB key, which it shouldn't do until you touch the handle. Couldn't reproduce this effect since.

We used to keep the keys hanging at our front door (very close to where we park the Journey) but have since moved the keys to a more distant part in the house and have not had a problem since. I don't know if there is some proximity issue with the FOBs or it was just a coincedence. I'll update if it happens again.

I'm just kind of waiting to hear about a recall.

One of the posts on Edmunds suggested wiring harnesses in the doors or back gate were being crimped and possibly shorting out. After being inspected for this from my Dodge mechanic it did not seem to be my issue.

Best of luck all!

Unpleasant surprise this morning...hopped in the R/T to go to work this morning and...DEAD BATTERY!

Somebody else here experienced the same thing, also on a new '11. As I recall they figured it was due to the "auto" function for the headlamps.

I've noticed once or twice now that I'll go to my car (park inside a parkade at work) and see that the instrument cluster lights are on (but no other lights on). I've tried changing the power-off time delay settings...not sure at this point if that prevents the problem.

There must be quite a short or drain when this happens, because just having the instrument lights on is not going to kill a battery in 8-10 hrs.

Thanks.

I have had a flat battery 4 times (April 10, May 21, June 10, June 22) on my Journey R/T 2011 - electrical system always checks out O.K After the third time, the dealer contacted Chrysler engineering and they suggested the steering switches (ones on back of steering wheel that control radio etc.) should be replaced. That work was done on June 15, 2011 and the battery was again flat on June 22, 2011. The service advisors report that they have had 4 others with similar complaints. I called Chrysler customer service and was given a file number. The service advisor at the dealership wants me to have the vehicle towed in to the dealer the next time it happens and they will contact Chrysler engineering again. The customer service rep. said to call them the next time it happens for followup.

Thanks.

Found this during a web search

By bilbirk

on 05/12/11

06:28 AM (PDT)

I'm coming in late on this but I bet the problem with your car is the same I had with mine, Things started acting up and the Dealership found it right away. These have a problem with the wiring harness that passes through the doors. They tend to get pinched and it could be hard to find. The only reason my Dealer found it was because the mechanic had just came from a class covering this problem

I'm coming in late on this but I bet the problem with your car is the same I had with mine, Things started acting up and the Dealership found it right away. These have a problem with the wiring harness that passes through the doors. They tend to get pinched and it could be hard to find. The only reason my Dealer found it was because the mechanic had just came from a class covering this problem

Interesting, as I had the same problem with my PT Cruiser Convertible. The dealer quickly replaced my battery and it never happened again.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

I had to jump mine twice in 4 months. The only thing plugged in was a cell phone charger with a small indicator light. I noticed just before it went dead the automatic temperature controller would either be off or set at a different temp. then what it should have been when it was started up. I unplugged the charger and (cross my fingers) hasn't happened again.

I too have had a dead battery happen twice since picking up my 2011 Journey Crew, in early March of this year. The first time it happened I boosted it and it started, but idled roughly. I had it towed to the local Dodge dealership. They checked it over, found lots of stored messages about a low battery, but once charged it held the charge fine. They checked for firmware updates. There were none. They found no large current draw on the battery, so everthing appeared fine.

The second time it happened, I was in the vehicle over lunch and was listening to music stored on an SD card, with the vehicle in ACCessory mode, not running. I noticed that the climate control had been switched off, like you did, and I could hear what sounded like the louvre motors for the different air flow settings running every so often. I did not start the engine during the lunch break. When I tried to start the vehicle, after work, later that day the battery was dead. I got a boost from another vehilce and it ran fine and held its charge after that.

The other day I was doing a similar thing, with the vehcle in ACC mode, and again noticed the auto climate control switched off and the louvre motors running again. I started the engine and let it run for a bit and switched it off again with no dead battery the next morning.

Edited by 151Roht

Hi folks, I have had the same dead battery issue as well. It was the third day I had it- boy was I pissed!! I jumped it and drove over to the dealer who said the usual- "everything is OK" I brought it home and while reading the manual in the car with the car off I noticed the dash lighting up on a set interval. The key was in my pocket at the time, then I brought the key into the house and the same thing was happening. That is when I figured it out!! It turns out that the key will constantly try to register with the car if it is within a few feet from it. So, I had the key right near my garage door and that was the problem. But I also found out that in a parking lot if someone walks by with any make proximity key it will wake the car up and try to register it- they all work off of the same frequency. I solved the problem by going into the Uconnect system and turning the feature off. I never had the issue again. Maybe if Dodge corrects the problem I will then enable it back on. I think the system is too sensitive!

While I'm happy for you that your vehicle has had no problems since, we did try leaving the key in the car over night a couple of times because we thought the key fob had something to do with it as well. We had no such luck proving that theory. There are many different theories being thrown about, and so many other people are having the same problem that I'm not sure anyone knows the answer. Funny how Dodge still maintains that I am the only person having this problem. I don't want this vehicle anymore or any other vehicle made by Chrysler for that matter. We are no longer loyal Chrysler customers.

I to have had this problem, Bought my 2011 Jouney Crew in March and since then I've had to jump start it twice. The first time like everyone else, I thought I left something on, but didn't find anything left on, this past Sunday was the second time, so Monday morning it went into the dealer due to the check engine light stayed on. After having it for 8 hours they couldn't replicate the problem and said the only thing they found were 19 codes that pertained to the battery. BUT because the computer didn't tell them that the battery was the problem or needed to be replaced they did nothing, except check the charging system. So I did some investigating of my own, I checked all the forums and finally I found one that made since. At allpar.com there is a thread there pertaining to the "dead battery" issue, In there a Canadian dealer came accross the problem and narrowed it down to the Radio Frequency Hub Module, appearently the module controls the sattelite,radio,nav and FOB's. What they found is that if the FOB's(keys) are stored to close to the car then the Uconnect will stay awake waiting for a command from the FOB i.e. remote start, unlock/lock doors, PASSIVE ENTRY!!! Passive Entry appears to be the key in this problem and it makes sense to me. I went back to my situation thinking to myself, where did the wife leave her keys, in her purse on the table. This means that the FOB was within 20' of the car and in the line of sight through the dining room window. Back to the other forum, they suggest to turn off the passive entry this should be the quick fix until Chrysler realizes that there is a problem. Also I Google searched just "2011 dodge dead battery" and found that it's not only the Journeys that are having this problem but the chargers and challengers are expeirencing the same issue.

I met the wife for lunch and imediatly turned off the passive entry

Hope this helps

Turn Off Passive Entry

My dealer contacted Chrysler engineering with the "flat battery" problem after I had 4 occurrences and the local dealer couldn't find a problem. . .they shipped replacement steering switches (the ones on the back controlling the radio) and I no longer have the problem.