Starting problems

Hi, I have a 2009 Journey 2.0 diesel with auto box. Intermittently when I attempt to start the car nothing happens. When I turn the key everything lights up, wait until all checks are complete and then when the key is turned nothing not even a dim of the dash lights to say there is a bad connection on the battery. I have moved the shift on occasion from Park to drive and back to park and it has started, leading me to believe it was not engaging properly in Park. It has run O.K. for a week now and my wife went to start it 5 minutes ago and nothing again. I tried moving the shift etc but still nothing, I tried a further 8 - 10 times and then lo and behold it fired.

HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS OR HAVE A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. Opinions would be gratefully received please.

Thanks in anticipation

Tassietara

Hi, I have a 2009 Journey 2.0 diesel with auto box. Intermittently when I attempt to start the car nothing happens. When I turn the key everything lights up, wait until all checks are complete and then when the key is turned nothing not even a dim of the dash lights to say there is a bad connection on the battery. I have moved the shift on occasion from Park to drive and back to park and it has started, leading me to believe it was not engaging properly in Park. It has run O.K. for a week now and my wife went to start it 5 minutes ago and nothing again. I tried moving the shift etc but still nothing, I tried a further 8 - 10 times and then lo and behold it fired.

HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS OR HAVE A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. Opinions would be gratefully received please.

Thanks in anticipation

Tassietara

Sounds like the neutral safety switch. or shifter linkage [cable] getting out of adjustment..

Sounds like the neutral safety switch. or shifter linkage [cable] getting out of adjustment..

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have e-mailed the Chrysler main dealer regarding the latest recall for the side impact sensors and also about the starting problems. I completely missed the previous post about starting problems with the Wireless Ignition Node and I have forwarded the download on that post regarding replacing this. The main dealer has never heard of this problem and I await his further reply as to what they will do about the problem as the car now refuses to start at all today.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a ground issue, mine had a issue doing the same thing with only 3k miles total on it and it took acouple days for the dealer to find it.

Thanks for the reply.

Car has not been starting now for four days, called the dealer who has supposed to have ordered the WIN module and an ELV module which goes with it and the recall loom for the side impact sensors two weeks ago and he now tells me there is no sign of any of the parts coming in the near future.

So much for the safety recall notice if I happened to get a side impact collision would dodge be liable.

After care service is terrible I think this is my first Dodge and probably my last.

Contacted Dodge after care service in the UK today and they will look into the delay. That will probably take another two weeks and in the meantime no car.

I have exactly the same problem with my 2009 Diesel. It has been rare and intemittent but has refused to start 4 time in the last 48 hours.

Goats - What kind of a ground issue was causing yours was it engine grounding?

I have another occaisional issue with the engine 'stuttering' or hesitating under power that could easily be caused by an engine ground issue sincve moving of the engine under torque could stress the ground connection.

My Dodge dealer has not heard of this issue so I'll be grateful for any help.

Cheers

Max

I have exactly the same problem with my 2009 Diesel. It has been rare and intemittent but has refused to start 4 time in the last 48 hours.

Goats - What kind of a ground issue was causing yours was it engine grounding?

I have another occaisional issue with the engine 'stuttering' or hesitating under power that could easily be caused by an engine ground issue sincve moving of the engine under torque could stress the ground connection.

My Dodge dealer has not heard of this issue so I'll be grateful for any help.

Cheers

Max

• 1 month later...

i have the same issue with my 2009 6cyl gas journey had the battery changed 4 time by dealership and just pick the car up after dealership having it 3days and them not even looking at it.

i have found by moving the batery cables it will start but it's the stalling while your driving it that makes this an unsafe car to be on the road.

this time the dealership let it slip that they have had trouble with the grounding on them but when i asked about it they refused to tell me with what part of the car and that only a dealership can fix it. any one that has found the problem plz contact me so i can keep it running long enough to get an ok trade in amount for it towards a chevy

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey and I've been having the same issue with it not starting. At first, it only happened occassionally but in the last few weeks, it's been not starting as much as starting. They started by changing the WIN Fob but was not starting again within a week. They next changed the starter and assured me that that was the problem. I picked it up at 3:30 on Thursday and by the time I got home at 4:30, it wouldn't start again. I immediately called the dealership who told me to bring it in the next morning. I went into work first while waiting for the dealership to open but when I went to take it to the dealer, it wouldn't start. I had to call a tow truck but by the time it arrived, it would start again. By this time, I am very frustrated and angry as I am leaving the next morning for a week's vacation. Thank goodness we bought the extended warranty as they agreed to rent us a vehicle for our holidays and they would take the week to try and find the problem. I returned to the dealer this morning to find out the status and they have another part on order. It has something to do with the sensor not reading when it's actually in park. Although I'm not convinced that this will solve the problem, I do have to give them the chance to see. However, if these problems persist, I will be insisting that I be given a more reliable vehicle (one that will actually start when I want it to).

Although I'm not thrilled with the way the Journey has been working (I haven't even mentioned that brake issue), I have had nothing but a positive experience with the dealership.

Keep your fingers crossed that this new part will actually solve the not starting issue.

my diesel auto is intermittently stalling while driving, its happened four times now and loss of power steering at speed and power brakes is absolutely terrifying, I have only just been able to get the car to the side of the road were once in 'park' it re-starts immediately...any one solve this problem ?

have a great day wherever you are.

Edited by mydodgejourney

• 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Hello all, I realize this thread is lod but I thought it was a good idea to reply just in case someone else still has the same no start issue, while attempting to diagnose the issue myself, this was one of the sites google took me to and experiencing this issue myself, I thought I would post my situation in hopes of helping someone in the bear future.

My problem started after work, I had my car sitting on my driveway for 5 days without moving at all, I turned it on after the 5 days and everything worked fine, got to work and when it was time to go home it would not start, I just got 1 click when trying to start it with the button (it is a button start not a key) and a bunch of clicks when trying to start with the remote start. I had it towed to auto zone, I was thinking it may be the battery or the starter, autozone tested the alternator and the battery, nothing there, battery did end up being replaced under warranty though because it was leaking, even with a new battery no start. I had journey towed to a shop for a warranty repair (purchased carmax extended warranty when I purchased journey, more on that later). Got a call from the shop saying "we replaced the starter but it's still not starting", they were possitive it was an issue with the trannsmission (tranny had been rebuilt about 4 months prior to this issue). They could not find the issue and had to call someone in from another shop I am guessing and the following day I got the call I had been waiting for... It was the grounding issue for me, they hooked up a battery cable from the ground terminal of the battery down to the bracket that holds the starter, they hooked that end to the ground screw that goes into the bracket and into the starter. Has been starting like a dream ever since. The really crazy part is that I had ran across a few threads on the internet and even a video on youtube telling me that was a commin issue with the journey but I refused to beleive that being a newer model journey then the ones on this thread, I refused to beleive it was STILL an issue all these years later, how could dodge still not recall them for this, I will be searching for someone to contact in regards to this, someone who has oversight over them because this is unnaceptable. There are many people on many forums having this same exact issue, from what I have seen, there are tons of people saying they have reported the issue to dodge but "they don't have enough reports of it to issue a recall", come one people, dodge is the last entity you contact to report this as an issue that needs to be recalled. They lose millions any time a recall is issued, of coyrse they are going to avoid doing so and they will always make it seem like it's not a big issue and not a lot of people are experiencing it, I think NTHSA or something like that is where you report this to. 

Anywho, it was repaired for free for me because I purchased the extended warranty when purchasing the vehicle from carmax, many people seem to have bad experiences but I am curious as to how many others are having a good experience, most people will only ever take the time to share their experience when it is a negative one but won't ever do it when it's a possitive one. I for one have had 3 repairs done and all have been great, the door blender actuator went out, they repaured it with no issues, the transmission went out and needed to be rebuilt, they paid approx $5,000 to repair it and provided a rental for 7 days while my car was in the shop for that... now this, it was just over $700 in repairs and they covered all of it. I have no idea how I would have paid for any of the 2 repairs, I could have done the air actuator myself but the tranny and the starter would have put my car on ice for an extended period of time, especially the tranny. I paid about $1,400 for the warranty but they have covered about $6,000 so far plus 7 day rentals any time my car is in for a few days. You always hope you never need them if you do not buy them but when you do buy it is when you just want to kiss your brain for making such a good choice. Just my 2 cents.