Something to cover the second row seats when folded down

Abe Gurewitz

I have two dogs that I transport in my 2010 Journey. When I fold down the back seats so they have more room, I have noticed that there is a gap between the seats and the rear cargo area. Combined with the cup holder gaps that makes for a rather easy space for the dogs to have a foot fall into the gap and injure themselves. So far I have just been shoving a towel in the holes but I would rather find a cover or something like that to place over it. Does anyone know if there is anything like a cover to cover the cargo area and rear seats when folded down? (When I say rear seats I mean the seats right behind the driver and passenger seat. I have a basic model of the Journey so no third row.)

My hound loves travelling in the back and I understand the problem you have encountered. Here is my solution. I went to the building supplies store and purchased a 6 foot rolled outdoor rubber / vinyl backed carpet. It is the exact width of the storage area (wheel well to well)) so it fit in perfectly. When I put up the rear seats the carpet follows and bends with the moves. No need to remove. it covers the holes too and is washable with the garden hose.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two dogs that I transport in my 2010 Journey. When I fold down the back seats so they have more room, I have noticed that there is a gap between the seats and the rear cargo area. Combined with the cup holder gaps that makes for a rather easy space for the dogs to have a foot fall into the gap and injure themselves. So far I have just been shoving a towel in the holes but I would rather find a cover or something like that to place over it. Does anyone know if there is anything like a cover to cover the cargo area and rear seats when folded down? (When I say rear seats I mean the seats right behind the driver and passenger seat. I have a basic model of the Journey so no third row.)

Here's what I do for my dog; first off I have to tell you that I have the Dodge cargo mat for the rear area. To cover the gap between the seat I found some plastic corrigated material (you know like they make outdoor signs out of) it's thin but stiff enough to support weight. Now I usually only have the passenger side and the center armrest folded down, so I have a piece cut to fit that size and then when not in use, it slides under the cargo mat out of sight.

Hope this helps, and happy motoring.....

I have thick shag carpet in the new one and that seems to work. In the old one I just threw her dog bed in for the long trips.

post-1923-098465100 1298904633_thumb.jpg

Edit: Misread, I don't travel with the mid bench down with the dog (I don't like her near me when driving, too dangerous). But I suspect the thick carpet would work to cover the gaps and protect the bench (plus its comfy and cheap). I have water proof bench cover ( http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=SC4440 ) that could probably work in reverse for you too.

Edited by zmttoxics