Tire sizes

jaymista

I am getting ready to order a Journey SXT and on the Dodge web site, when I click on the Exterior Appearance Package, it shows that I would be going from a 17" tire to a 19" tire which was something I didn't expect. I was more interested in the Performance Steering and Performance Suspension part of the package. What is the advantage of going to a more expensive larger tire size other than just appearance?

I am getting ready to order a Journey SXT and on the Dodge web site, when I click on the Exterior Appearance Package, it shows that I would be going from a 17" tire to a 19" tire which was something I didn't expect. I was more interested in the Performance Steering and Performance Suspension part of the package. What is the advantage of going to a more expensive larger tire size other than just appearance?

most sport suspenions will have stiffer shocks & spring rate and I think a rear sway bar is included to help with body sway. The tires will have less sidewall height. That relates to less tire rolling under itself as compared to the 17". The sacrific is that with less sidewall, you feel more of the road as it is tranferred easier through the suspension. The 17's will help absorb some of the road bumps.

my 2 cents is, we ordered the 19's as the sport suspension, to me, is safer in emergency manovers. I remember with the Liberty when it first came out with all the body roll and soft tires the Liberty was more prone to flip over.

Plus I like the feeling of cornering, carry more speed through a corner when merging out onto the highway. Rather than kick it down and rev up the engine to get up to speedwith everyone

Rob

Thanks for this info. I really don't need this package after reading your clear explanation. The salesman also told me that 19" wheels are not cheap when you have to replace them.

You are welcome Jay, I did not want to sway your decision, just wanted to help you make a more informed one. Your dealer is correct in saying the 19"s are more money when they need replacing.

Unless you were to buy a lesser expensive tire. Lets say a 19" Michelin is $150/ tire and the Kumhos are 125/tire but the Michelin's in a 17" may run you the $135/tire and the Kumhos are 115/tire

basically a 19" Kumho is 125 and the 17" Michelin is 135/tire

**** these are just ficticious numbers and used for examples only*****

Rob

Hopefully other manufacturers will also be making these tires as time goes on, 19" wheels are becoming more common. The ride and handling seem very nimble, it is very stable and predictable. I am a big fan of the appearance of the 19" wheels, I like the satin alloy finish better than the chrome, but nice to have so many choices, 17" or 19" wheels.....chrome or cast aliminum. "You pays your money and you makes your choice"

Not gonna lie here...I picked the 19" because they look good. Added bonus is the handling. You go into a curve, and your body doesn't move. In the Camry, it felt like we were plastered against the door. However, we test drove one with the 17" wheels, and the handling was just as good. I just wanted the 19s becaused I wanted them.

Not gonna lie here...I picked the 19" because they look good. Added bonus is the handling. You go into a curve, and your body doesn't move. In the Camry, it felt like we were plastered against the door. However, we test drove one with the 17" wheels, and the handling was just as good. I just wanted the 19s becaused I wanted them.

Other Tire Manufactures will be building the size, it's just a matter of time. I remember the 16's when they came on the cars for the first time and it was the samething. You could also substitute for other sizes of 19"s as long as the over all diameter, (OD) stays the same. If you have an AWD model be sure to replace all 4 tires at the same time, this is why rotating is crucial for these set ups.

Up and I wanted them too :shift:

Rob