Looking for Radio / HVAC electrical assistance!

Hi all,

I have been working a problem on my niece's 2012 Journey and I am at a loss.

The problem, I found, is not unique to the Journey but it shows up in many Dodge/Jeep vehicles of that era. 

The 4.3 touch screen is out and the heater system doesn't work (a few moments after starting the car the heater goes into high heat/fan mode).  None of the heater control buttons work except for the 4-way flashers.

The car was having battery issues and was jumped multiple times.  On one jump (from a standalone battery jump starter) I had the negative / positive terminals mixed up.  There was a little smoke coming from where I put the 'positive' to a metal piece that I was intending to ground and then quickly disconnected it.

We don't actually know exactly when it started.  After one of the jumps or after the booster mix-up.

I found lots of information on this forum and elsewhere. Here is what I have done:

- Disconnect battery for over a day

- checked fuses, found none blown

- checked for any ODB2 codes but nothing

- tried to reset the radio - no work

- tried the cd ejection thing - no work

- I tested the power and ground (attached image) going into the main radio unit and they both were good. ALTHOUGH the power read hot even with car off which puzzled me but perhaps it's for the emergency flashers that run through the console.  I'm not sure how the ignition turns on/off the radio then?

- Finally I found a 2011 Journey at a local junk yard.  I tried swapping the display with no result.  I tried swapping the main radio with no result.  I tried the console with the buttons and even tried the heater control module.  Nothing.  Then I swapped all of them together and still nothing.

So, unless the system from the junkyard is also bad (unlikely but possible) the problem is elsewhere in the car.

It would be wonderful if anyone has any suggestions on what else I could check or look for.

Signed,

Uncle Out of Options

p.s. It will ultimately go to a shop but trying to see what they could check that I can't as $ is an issue as she's just starting out in life.

maxresdefault.jpg

The TIPM and body ground control module BCM have a lot of things running through them. 
Without a schematic and ability to read them  it can be tricky to find this kind of fault.

Most  common cause of overnight dead battery from parasitic load on Journeys. Is the blue tooth module buried in the dash.  Very pricy to buy and hard to get at to change. People pull the fuse in the passenger side kick fuse panel  as short term fix. Hand free module fuse so I think called HFM fuse. F131 it’s 10 amp.

There is another fuse in this panel that has constant power and it controls hvac switches maybe time delay on radio off function. Try pulling it by itself with the battery still hooked up (leave it out for 5 mins, then back).  Maybe  it will help synch things; long shot really. Fuse  F109. The cluster itself is fed from F108, make sure it’s not blown while you are in there.

Get a magnifying glass to read fuse look up table.😀

image.thumb.jpg.daf3ab720b0d2889a8f0026ac2a29543.jpg

Edited by John/Horace