2013 dodge journey jerking around 3rd gear

wade31685

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey 2.4L that is jerking around 3rd gear at idle or when downshifting. When I apply pressure to the peddle to speed up more aggressively there is no issues with shifting at all. There is no jerking when I am aggressively speeding up what so ever but if I am cruising or holding my current speed, it will jerk from time to time. It's more noticeable if I am going uphill. Transmission fluid and filter has been changed but this issue doesn't seem like a Transmission issue as the truck shifts just fine getting up to speed. It only seems to be happening when you are cruising or at idle speed. Any suggestions on this issue? Also there's no fault codes. 

It's 180k miles on the car, the spark plugs and coils were changed about 3 months ago. I will run a can of Seafoam through it a see what it does. I read in another form that it could be a software update on the PCM that dodge made a bulletin about. Not sure if this could be the same issue. 

1 hour ago, wade31685 said:

It's 180k miles on the car, the spark plugs and coils were changed about 3 months ago. I will run a can of Seafoam through it a see what it does. I read in another form that it could be a software update on the PCM that dodge made a bulletin about. Not sure if this could be the same issue. 

If this has only RECENTLY started happening, then I doubt it is in computer programming. What type plugs were put in? Many report problems when using other than recommended Copper Core plugs.

It has always done it but it was much milder and not as often. Recently it has been much more noticeable and harsher. The plugs were Autolite platinum plugs. These I bought from Autozone which was what they had as the recommended part as well. Do you think the coil packs could have anything to do with it? I replaced them along with the plugs a few months ago. Also would those issues throw a fault code?

I would buy a new set of pugs and install these before I would do anything else

NGK V-Power Nickel Plug Number ZFR5F-11 Spark Plug - 2262

the electrode on these are thicker then on the extended range spark plugs but other makers they should be replaced every 30 k you will have problems with the more expensive plugs you can buy these at o'reillys for around $4.69 each or off Amazon for around 4 for $ 15.77...STICK with the NGK brand as well

12 minutes ago, wade31685 said:

It has always done it but it was much milder and not as often. Recently it has been much more noticeable and harsher. The plugs were Autolite platinum plugs. These I bought from Autozone which was what they had as the recommended part as well. Do you think the coil packs could have anything to do with it? I replaced them along with the plugs a few months ago. Also would those issues throw a fault code?

why did you replace the coil packs,just a waste of $$$ unless you were having a problem with them,,they are either good or bad.....

I believe if you look in the owners book and underhood sticker you will find the call for Copper core plugs. No I don't think it to be coils. Another area to investigate due to such mileage is for worn out engine/ trans mounts. You can find many youtube videos about them with a Google search, just don't be model year specific as the mounts are the same for all years with the 2.4 motor. As far as throwing fault codes NO unless you are getting actual misfires.

EDIT:    We have some very good members that have the 2.4 engined DJ's. , and I gladly defer to their recommendations as to plugs . Mine are all the 3.6and have different spec recommendations.

Still try a can of Seafoam in the tank and run it and see how it does.

Edited by 5rebel9

I replaced the coil packs because 1 went bad while my wife was driving and threw a fault code. Rather then replacing just the one, I replaced all 4. 

I checked the manual and they do have the ZFR5F-11spark plugs as the recommended part. I will replace them and see if that changes anything as well.