Clock spring for 2009 Dodge Journey:

jgwinnup

Hi,

I have a new to me 2009 Journey SE that has an intermittent check air bag warning that was diagnosed as being a faulty clock spring  (code B1B02 Driver's airbag squib 1 circuit open)

Dealer is of course willing to charge me arm+leg to fix, but I figure I can do this myself. I do have a code reader that can perform the SAS calibration, but I have a question to whether the clock spring in this very basic Journey even has a steering angle sensor - I see replacements on line that either have or don't have the sensor. Which is correct for this vehicle?

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Edited by jgwinnup

Just be very careful about static electricity while dismantling that system.  (When I was scrapping out a 93 Chrysler T&C, the manual had dire warnings about what could happen if you accidentally set it off.  I DID manage to pull it w/o setting it off, so I do not know from experience how bad it would be.)

i had a air bag light come on yrs ago and i checked youtube and i checked the wiring under the drivers seat and wiggled them and the light went off,, i had not checked for a code, but you might want to try that first.....please report back on what you find out,,,also welcome to the group:hyper:

Edited by 2late4u

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all - 

Good news to report - My problem was in fact the clock spring, took about 1-2 hours to swap it out with a more reasonably priced part off Ebay. Video here walked me through the steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWDo0c0JRcM

Important thing is to disconnect battery well in advance to let any residual charges dissipate. My Journey did in fact have a connector for a steering angle sensor, but no additional calibration was needed after replacement. No more intermittent dinging/air bag light on in the dash and it wound up being a $60 repair instead of over $800 at the dealer.