HanKook Tires

The SE comes with HanKook tires. I noticed they were marked "made in China". Does anyone have info on these tires? I really didn't like the fact that the Journey had a "made in China" tire with the news lately about products coming from China. Is the size of wheel a problem that forced Chrysler to use these HanKook tires rather that something like Goodyear, Michelin, or some other popular brand? I never heard of HanKook before.

The SE comes with HanKook tires. I noticed they were marked "made in China". Does anyone have info on these tires? I really didn't like the fact that the Journey had a "made in China" tire with the news lately about products coming from China. Is the size of wheel a problem that forced Chrysler to use these HanKook tires rather that something like Goodyear, Michelin, or some other popular brand? I never heard of HanKook before.

I do believe the auto manufacturers, request for bids on tires and whoever bids lowest, with quality being in second place, and price being the first. They most likely go with that company. I am not saying quality is not as important as price. Alot of off shore tires are great, tire technology is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was like 10 years ago.

Michelin was the rant and rave many moons ago when the other tires were bias ply and it is still that way. It is tough to get a tire that is terrible and when most people complain about "I'll never buy another _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ tire again. 99% of the time it is either misaplication or mechanical issues. You get what you pay for though.

Me I swear by Goodyear, got them on all my vehicles. My F150 4X4 with the Wrangler RTS has over 65,000km's on them and there is about 70% of the tire left. Rotated ever 10,000km's and "PROPER" air pressure. I weigh my vehicle and figure out the air pressure. Alot of people see the sidewall marked as max pressure of 41PSI (just an example) and that is what they put in there, 41 PSI. This equals to a tire being way overinflated and premature wear.

sorry for going on and on. Been in the business for 11 years running a service truck for a major tire dealer seen alot of "stuff"(not in the business anymore :hysterical: )

Rob

PM me if you want more info/my opinion

Hi Rob,

It's good to have a tire expert on the form. Have you figured out the correct tire pressure to run in the Journey SXT with 19" wheels? I was thinking of running about 34 Pounds which is what I run in my Grand Caravan and for the last two years they have been filled with nitrogen instead of plain air. I have been thinking of doing the same with the Journey when and if I ever get it. What do you think?

Hope your wait is getting shorter!

Keith

Hi Rob,

It's good to have a tire expert on the form. Have you figured out the correct tire pressure to run in the Journey SXT with 19" wheels? I was thinking of running about 34 Pounds which is what I run in my Grand Caravan and for the last two years they have been filled with nitrogen instead of plain air. I have been thinking of doing the same with the Journey when and if I ever get it. What do you think?

Keith

Hey Keith, thanks for swelling my head :happy feet: I

have not done air pressures yet as I want to get the car axles weighed and go from there. Nitrogen is the way to go. For those who don't the Nitrogen air filled tires are less prone to small leaks/seapage. Also they run cooler at highway speeds, so air pressure fluctuation is minimal.

The worst thing to do is over inflate the tires as this sets premature wear on a tire very early and when it shows up, then you readjust the air to proper specs but the tire is already worn into an overinflation situation. Now that the tire is set at proper pressure it weras evanly (just as much wearing on the center rib as the shoulders the tire wears VERY quickly and before you know it, you are replacing tires sooner rather than later.

I can only imagine how much the tites are for the Journey in a 19".

regular rotations (every 10,000km's) and keep a close eye on pressures = Long tire life

Rob

Hi Rob,

Keith

I have the 19's filled with nitrogen & they are @ 34lbs

I have the 19's filled with nitrogen & they are @ 34lbs

Ya larryl, I will post once I have the proper Figures to see how close they are. I don't ever go by the door placard for Inflation. I stripped F150 and optioned out F150 with the exact same tire size and Load range will have the exact same Pressure even though the weighs are way different.

Rob

as a great exampl (this just came to me) My 2000 F350 Diesel dually 4X4 the tires load range E (Like a 10 ply in old school) were max pressure 80 PSI I was running 53PSI in the fronts and 30 PSI in the rears The tire shop I worked for was like "I you sure about those pressures, after all it is a diesel" I weighed it, got my figures and with NO rotations (cause it had polished dually wheels) the tires were wearing perfect. After 35,000KM's they looked new still, this is on a 4X4 dually. There is a few pictures

on webshots, I will see if I can load them here.................

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1102379934051343266thHars

you can actually see my other albums too, My twin Caravans too............2178

Rob