What is everyone doing for Winter rims/tires?

zmttoxics

Well, I know I wont be buying TPMS sensors for my new rims if I get them. But after being quoted $1200 at the dealership and $1000 at canadian tire, I may end up just getting the tires this year and rims next year.

What is everyone else doing for the frost? :)

i using black 16 '' steel winter wheels without TPMS with 225/70 /16 Yokohama Geolandar tires on my SXT

Well, I know I wont be buying TPMS sensors for my new rims if I get them. But after being quoted $1200 at the dealership and $1000 at canadian tire, I may end up just getting the tires this year and rims next year.

What is everyone else doing for the frost? :)

I'm getting General Altimax Arctic 225/70/16's mounted on steel wheels from TireRack. They're giving either $50 or $25 gift cards for certain sets of 4. I was going to order Firestone Winterforce tires, but I've read better reviews about the General Altimax Arctics. I'm not getting TPMS sensors. My Journey has the 19" wheels now, so it should be an interesting difference going to the 16's. I'll be putting them on as late in the season as I can get away with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Winter tires are available for 19" stock rims

I have just put on a set (4x) of Bridgestone Blizzak's winters in a 'plus 1' size.

size is P235/55R-19 Blizzak DM-V1.

They fit fine. Even the spedo is not off by much.

They clear the front strut plate that the coil spring rests on by @ 3/8" (10mm).

Attached are 2x pictures of the tires on the vehicle (2010' R/T AWD).

post-1435-063806500 1287144432_thumb.jpg

post-1435-057046400 1287144446_thumb.jpg

Winter tires are available for 19" stock rims

I have just put on a set (4x) of Bridgestone Blizzak's winters in a 'plus 1' size.

size is P235/55R-19 Blizzak DM-V1.

They fit fine. Even the spedo is not off by much.

They clear the front strut plate that the coil spring rests on by @ 3/8" (10mm).

Attached are 2x pictures of the tires on the vehicle (2010' R/T AWD).

So they fit without any problems? No rubbing?

No rubbing at all. and... I've put over 3000km on them so far.

Gone over some rough roads at speeds above what you should, and, they are not hitting anywhere.

Thanks for the answer - it is really hard to find someone who did not change wheels to 16-18 inches for winter:) I bought 235/50/R19 - 55 was not available so I didn.t have a choice:) Right now I am waiting for delivery....

G>

post-1435-023462100 1287769680_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the answer - it is really hard to find someone who did not change wheels to 16-18 inches for winter:) I bought 235/50/R19 - 55 was not available so I didn.t have a choice:) Right now I am waiting for delivery....

G>

I'm attaching a photo for the front winter tire (235/55R-19) with the wheel turned hard to one side and the suspension compressed up into the wheel well.

Still over 10mm (3/8") clearance against the wheel well.

Well, I we got the tires and rims, and got the garage to mount them (it was free and we are expecting snow next week, so why not). But I am confused.... The warning light didn't come on for the tires like there was sensors installed, but I didn't order the sensors (the valve stems were 3 bucks each on the receipt so I am pretty sure I didn't pay for them at least). Going for a drive tomorrow, hopefully the car will wake up and realize they aren't there (if it doesn't, that means the computer is borked, right?). I will phone the guys that did it if thats the case.

The blizzacks look great and have incredible grip. So far I am happy with the purchase! :)

Well, I we got the tires and rims, and got the garage to mount them (it was free and we are expecting snow next week, so why not). But I am confused.... The warning light didn't come on for the tires like there was sensors installed, but I didn't order the sensors (the valve stems were 3 bucks each on the receipt so I am pretty sure I didn't pay for them at least). Going for a drive tomorrow, hopefully the car will wake up and realize they aren't there (if it doesn't, that means the computer is borked, right?). I will phone the guys that did it if thats the case.

The blizzacks look great and have incredible grip. So far I am happy with the purchase! :)

the light will come on eventually ..... i did a 10 Km run before turned on...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit puzzled.... My 2010 Journey SXT came with all season P255/65R17 and they gave me winter tires P225/70R16. I just had the winter tires put on yesterday, but this morning I decided to use a tire down size calculator and found out that there is a 5.5% Diameter difference between the 2 sizes. There shouldn't be more than a 3% difference. Won't this affect my brakes and speedo?? Any comments would be appreciated......

I'm a bit puzzled.... My 2010 Journey SXT came with all season P255/65R17 and they gave me winter tires P225/70R16. I just had the winter tires put on yesterday, but this morning I decided to use a tire down size calculator and found out that there is a 5.5% Diameter difference between the 2 sizes. There shouldn't be more than a 3% difference. Won't this affect my brakes and speedo?? Any comments would be appreciated......

those sizes you quoted would make a 0.4% difference, and that is totally acceptable

when your speedo reads 60mph you'd actually be travelling 59.8mph

Sorry guys for the stupid question. The dealer did give me the right size for the winter tires. My stock 17"'s are 225/65/R17 and not the 255/65/R17 I mentioned at the beginning of the post. I did a tire calculation and it's almost perfect. Thanks for your help.....

Sorry guys for the stupid question. The dealer did give me the right size for the winter tires. My stock 17"'s are 225/65/R17 and not the 255/65/R17 I mentioned at the beginning of the post. I did a tire calculation and it's almost perfect. Thanks for your help.....

you're quite welcome, glad to help when i can.

cheers, Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking for some winter tires and had some snow fall already here in edmonton and one near miss, and the dealer told me about Hercules avalanch extreme and they said they had good success with. He quoted me 1200 installed, tax on steel rims (17 inch).

Any idea if these tires are any good?

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...