Why do I have a Uconnect button if it doesn't work?

New to the forum. Lots of good info here.

I have a 2009 Journey SXT with the REQ radio. I have the uconnect buttons but it says not installed when i push them. What do I need to activate / install the feature and how much is it? I thought handsfree was a requirement now. Thanks.

There is another topic on this subject here in the forum. Uconnect is an added feature that may not be installed, even though you have the buttons for it.

It appears that there is a module you can purchase to add this feature, Mopar #82211878. Can anyone confirm this module can be installed and activated by the owner? Or is there programming needed for the stereo that can only be done by a dealer?

• 2 weeks later...

The audio system has to be programmed by the dealer when the U-Connect module is installed in order for it to work.

My dealer quoted $145.00cad to install and program or $95.00cad just to program unit if I installed the module myself.

I opted to have them complete the whole job as the difference in price didn't seem worth the hassle of doing it myself.