tires

DJK09SXT

My journey came with Kumho highway radial tires. I bought the car used and have put several miles on it since it was purchased. I am in need of a new set before winter. While at the dodge dealership i learned a journey can have passenger car or light truck tires on it. The Kumho tires i currently have are passenger car tires. Is anyone running light truck tires? If so what kind and how does the car handle with them?

• 3 weeks later...

My journey came with Kumho highway radial tires. I bought the car used and have put several miles on it since it was purchased. I am in need of a new set before winter. While at the dodge dealership i learned a journey can have passenger car or light truck tires on it. The Kumho tires i currently have are passenger car tires. Is anyone running light truck tires? If so what kind and how does the car handle with them?

Just returned from a vacation to Branson, MO. Learned an awful lot about the Journey Tires on our trip. We hit something on the road and ruined a tire. Found out that you can not buy a 19" tire anywhere. We tried Walmart, Sams Club, Every other tire store after being at the Dodge Dealer. The Dodge dealer in Branson told us that they didn't have a tire, and couldn't get us one. Running on the spare was making the AWD unit run very hot and stinky. Blew the tire on Sunday, and got a new set of tires shipped in and mounted from Tirerack.com on Friday. Ruined my week. Thank you Dodge for all help on this. NOT!! What really bugs me is that the Dodge dealer still had more new Journys on the lot with the same tires.

Some idiot dodge engineer and some slick Kuhmo tire guy must have made some under-the-table deal on the 19" tires on the Dodge Journey's. The 225 55 19 is a totally unique size, made only by Kuhmo for only the Dodge Journey. WHY?? It's not an exotic sports car, it's a cross-over SUV, family vehicle. Whey on earth would you put a 100% unique tire size on it? I had to put 2 new one's on my wife's...I spent an hour on the phone trying to find someone who had them in stock. I finally found a large Dodge dealer that had 2. I drove an hour and half and paid $575 to have 2 new tires put on........my a@@ still hurts........

Love the car, other than this......The fact that Dodge did this, tells me they have no regard for the consumer.......

Some idiot dodge engineer and some slick Kuhmo tire guy must have made some under-the-table deal on the 19" tires on the Dodge Journey's. The 225 55 19 is a totally unique size, made only by Kuhmo for only the Dodge Journey. WHY?? It's not an exotic sports car, it's a cross-over SUV, family vehicle. Whey on earth would you put a 100% unique tire size on it? I had to put 2 new one's on my wife's...I spent an hour on the phone trying to find someone who had them in stock. I finally found a large Dodge dealer that had 2. I drove an hour and half and paid $575 to have 2 new tires put on........my a@@ still hurts........

Love the car, other than this......The fact that Dodge did this, tells me they have no regard for the consumer.......

you can downgrade to 17'' wheels and you will have plentiful choice of tires. Tires size for the Journey is 225/65R17 and tirerack.com offer about 40 .. that's a lot ...this is a very common size. This is perhaps one of the reasons why there is a lot of 19'' Journey wheels on Ebay

Edited by Burn

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 2009 Journey SXT since May '08 and I really do like the car. 25,600 so far and not many complaints. I just replaced my front rotors and pads, and cleaned up the rears. Now I'm looking for tires and am running into the Kumho/Dodge bed-partners problem. If I had known when I bought the car... I would have gotten a different size wheel. I did have one tire damaged by a large metal shard, and the dealer replaced it no charge - I have the tire warranty.

I will be getting winter wheels/tires set soon, size 225/65/17. Any other suggestions?

I've had my 2009 Journey SXT since May '08 and I really do like the car. 25,600 so far and not many complaints. I just replaced my front rotors and pads, and cleaned up the rears. Now I'm looking for tires and am running into the Kumho/Dodge bed-partners problem. If I had known when I bought the car... I would have gotten a different size wheel. I did have one tire damaged by a large metal shard, and the dealer replaced it no charge - I have the tire warranty.

I will be getting winter wheels/tires set soon, size 225/65/17. Any other suggestions?

for summer i use 225/65/17 and for winter i use size 225/70/16 ( yokohama geolander )

Which Geolanders do you use? And I assume you like them. Is your Journey FWD or AWD?

My Journey is FWD , i will tell you tomorrow witch exact model of Geolanders i have , they are in storage right now but accessible .... i can tell you so far that they are very good in the snow/slush and i noticed that they are very silent for a winter tire.

I went with 225/65/17 Firestone Destination LE. Have had them about a month now. They aren't much louder than the Kumho's that came with the car, and have really good winter ratings. The tire dealer showed me his on his Tahoe, they had about 35000 miles on them and looked in good shape. Sold me a set of 4 for 112 each. Live in Omaha and winter is right around the corner. Wanted an aggressive SUV tire. These Firestones actually make the car ride smoother on these concrete roads and they have an aggressive footprint as well as some rugged sidewall tread. So far I am impressed.

Also i ordered a 17" OEM rim to match the 4 on the Journey. The plan is to mount it under the car and get rid of the donut. I pulled down the donut and the plastic molding and tried putting it up under, but the tire rested on the exhaust resonator. Looking into putting Flowmaster hush power mufflers on next month and re routing the exhaust so it clears the spare. Dodge really wasn't thinking when they built this crossover. Some people just use it as a daily driver but we travel cross country alot, and late at night with the kids. I need a dependable full size spare.

ai

Hi,

I was wondering if tires 265/55/19 make a difference...anyone tried this on 19" R/T? It is just 1 cm wider so it should work - and it is much easier to buy ones.

Greg

Actually 265's are 40mm or about 1-9/16" wider than 225's and the using a 265/55 tire on a 19" rim would be much too tall. 265/55's sidewalls would be about 7/8" taller which would throw your speedometer off probably by a few mph. A more practical solution would be to use a 245/50/19. 245/50/19's would be just under 3/4" wider than stock 225/55/19's and only about 3/64" less height in sidewall. That would be negligible in speedo accuracy, probably less that 1/2 mph difference. Another option would be to switch to 18" wheels. You could use 225/60/18's which again would be a negligible difference in the speedo compared to 225/55/19's.

Actually 265's are 40mm or about 1-9/16" wider than 225's and the using a 265/55 tire on a 19" rim would be much too tall. 265/55's sidewalls would be about 7/8" taller which would throw your speedometer off probably by a few mph. A more practical solution would be to use a 245/50/19. 245/50/19's would be just under 3/4" wider than stock 225/55/19's and only about 3/64" less height in sidewall. That would be negligible in speedo accuracy, probably less that 1/2 mph difference. Another option would be to switch to 18" wheels. You could use 225/60/18's which again would be a negligible difference in the speedo compared to 225/55/19's.

Yes you are right, my mistake with 265 - but what is important it seems I do not have to stick to 225/55/19 for winter:) I found some 235/55R19 (speed accu +1,78%) but I will look for 245/50/19 (speed acuu +0,34%) . Thx for the reply.

Greg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so one final question - did you try 245/50/19 or any R19 different then standard one??

GRSM

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed a set of almost new Hakapillitta R 235/60R-18" ice tires that are rated for an SUV extra load off my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had a hard time finding a set of reasonably (?) priced 18" allow rims that would fit my RT model but the end result appears fine. I paid $160/wheel for MPW 210-8821B rims. While the tires are heavier than the stock 19" Kumo's the rims are lighter than the stock wheels so the two seem to balance themselves out. I only have a 100k or so since installation but to me it seemed like the stiffer tires actually made the vehicle handle a little better. The tire diameter looked about the same and when I checked the speedo reading aginst my GPS I found at 100kph the speedo reads about 2 kph high so in fact the 18" Hak's are slightly smaller than the 19" Kumo's. Close enough for me. The tire dealer assured me that the wider 235 tires wouldn't create an interference issue and it certainly looks fine. I actually like the look of the 18" alloy rims with the 235/60 tires better than the stock 19" rims with the Kumo 225/55 tires as it looks more aggresive and in fact makes the vehicle look closer to a SUV than a Cross-over.

I have a local tire dealer here that got the stock 19" tire and I got them for $150 each mounted and balanced.

I'm a bit puzzled.... My 2010 Journey SXT came with all season P255/65R17 and they gave me winter tires P225/70R16. I just had the winter tires put on yesterday, but this morning I decided to use a tire down size calculator and found out that there is a 5.5% Diameter difference between the 2 sizes. There shouldn't be more than a 3% difference. Won't this affect my brakes?? Any comments would be appreciated......

• 3 weeks later...

Looked on Tire Rack and there is an optional size for the 19" rims which has a few tire choices. I hate the Kumho tires, but will replace them with something better only when they have worn down a bit more.

The optoinal tire size is 245/50/19.

Also for snow tires, there are quite a few options. Steel wheels are avialable in 16" size (from the base model) and there are a few tire choices available. There are also 17 and 18 inch sizes available but aluminum wheels will be needed for thiese.