3.6 L To 5.7 L

Ghost3.6

I have a 2016 Dodge Journey RT, it’s the 3.6L V6 with AWD, The stock 3.6 isn’t by any means a bad engine, However i wanted to Swap a 5.7 L V8 From the the 2016 Challenger RT, I plan is to make a performance SUV with my journey. I was reading about someone doing something similar but never actually Did such thing, I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the engine to the 5.7. I’m not sure if the Unibody will support it without adding additional rails or anything, I don’t want to alter the factory body to much either. Dose anybody know if it’s possible to even do this?? 

Doable? Sure. It's not just an engine swap though. There will be a lot of fabricating or a lot of cash to someone who can fabricate. I eyed doing a v8 swap in my Omni O24 back in the 80's. There was even a kit available for a while. Just too much work for too little gain.

I hate being told this\saying this but it's true here. It would be considerably cheaper to buy a v8 durango. 

I don't know of a transverse mounted hemi. I doubt a fwd transmission can handle the hemi in a reliable manner. You would need to switch the car to a longitudinal drivetrain. The firewall will have to be moved back to fit the v8. Awd is gone unless you can grab an awd charger and use its drivetrain. Needs a new rear end. Entire rear suspension rethought and changed. That leaves a fwd front suspension. It will need changed or at least modified. I would use an 8 speed with any hemi swap. It's a phenomenal trans. Yet they are physically huge. You need to cut the tunnel out and fabricate a new one to fit that monster.  With how the heater box is mounted and having to cut the firewall and tunnel your going to have to relocate the hvac or get an aftermarket setup. We haven't even touched on strengthening the chassis. In awd most power is still to the front. Can the body handle 400ft lb applied to the rear portion of the chassis without twisting itself into a pretzel?

So yeah sure it's doable. If you already own a fab shop or have unlimited cash or have unlimited time and cash.

I am one to make my ride into what I want it to be but this is too much for 99.9% of the automotive world.

18 hours ago, Ghost3.6 said:

I have a 2016 Dodge Journey RT, it’s the 3.6L V6 with AWD, The stock 3.6 isn’t by any means a bad engine, However i wanted to Swap a 5.7 L V8 From the the 2016 Challenger RT, I plan is to make a performance SUV with my journey. I was reading about someone doing something similar but never actually Did such thing, I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the engine to the 5.7. I’m not sure if the Unibody will support it without adding additional rails or anything, I don’t want to alter the factory body to much either. Dose anybody know if it’s possible to even do this?? 

If you have to ask, then no. Unless you have Jay Leno style money laying around.  Maybe ask the last guy who wanted to do the same....he never reported back if he followed through.

Hemi swap - Engine & Transmission - Dodge Journey Forum

3 hours ago, Dodgems said:

Doable? Sure. It's not just an engine swap though. There will be a lot of fabricating or a lot of cash to someone who can fabricate. I eyed doing a v8 swap in my Omni O24 back in the 80's. There was even a kit available for a while. Just too much work for too little gain.

I hate being told this\saying this but it's true here. It would be considerably cheaper to buy a v8 durango. 

I don't know of a transverse mounted hemi. I doubt a fwd transmission can handle the hemi in a reliable manner. You would need to switch the car to a longitudinal drivetrain. The firewall will have to be moved back to fit the v8. Awd is gone unless you can grab an awd charger and use its drivetrain. Needs a new rear end. Entire rear suspension rethought and changed. That leaves a fwd front suspension. It will need changed or at least modified. I would use an 8 speed with any hemi swap. It's a phenomenal trans. Yet they are physically huge. You need to cut the tunnel out and fabricate a new one to fit that monster.  With how the heater box is mounted and having to cut the firewall and tunnel your going to have to relocate the hvac or get an aftermarket setup. We haven't even touched on strengthening the chassis. In awd most power is still to the front. Can the body handle 400ft lb applied to the rear portion of the chassis without twisting itself into a pretzel?

So yeah sure it's doable. If you already own a fab shop or have unlimited cash or have unlimited time and cash.

I am one to make my ride into what I want it to be but this is too much for 99.9% of the automotive world.

it would be a lot of work, I’ve seen swamped journeys and someone has actually fit a 6.2 in it, They had to move things around but. I’m thinking I’m just gonna get a supercharger or turbo and slap it on. I’m determined to have a sleeper Journey.