My journey with the 09 journey

jeepgal

Oh was I ever excited when I bought my new journey 2 years ago. Traded in my Durango looking for better gas mileage.

First few months went fine - mpg wasnt great but I was willing to give it some time.

First to go was the hood stick holder - awfully glad it didnt go while I was under there! Right after that, the windshield squirters wouldnt squirt. Had dealership replace both. Then they both broke again!

Gas mileage never did improve. The best I averaged overall was 18mpg - and that was hwy driving. Both visor mirror covers broke off.

The anti-stain material was NOT. The rear view backup camera is useless.

Approaching 20k miles, the brakes and tires needed replacing. Those silly kumho tires are hard to find and expensive (and last about 2 years!).

Fed up with the costly repairs warranty wont cover and still owing 3 years on it - I finally and gladly let that piece of crap go. I feel sorry for whoever buys it used.

I do want to say that I am a cautious driver and never hot-rod or drive stupid. All maintenance was kept up on time. I almost did think it had to be my driving until I checked the reviews at edmunds.com - and WOW was I surprised to see how many people were having the same problems.

I sure hope those of you considering a 2010 model seriously think about it first. Maybe they have worked out the problems, but I wouldnt chance it if you paid me!

Im a happy Jeep Patriot owner now and what a difference it makes!!!

Oh was I ever excited when I bought my new journey 2 years ago. Traded in my Durango looking for better gas mileage.

First few months went fine - mpg wasnt great but I was willing to give it some time.

First to go was the hood stick holder - awfully glad it didnt go while I was under there! Right after that, the windshield squirters wouldnt squirt. Had dealership replace both. Then they both broke again!

Gas mileage never did improve. The best I averaged overall was 18mpg - and that was hwy driving. Both visor mirror covers broke off.

The anti-stain material was NOT. The rear view backup camera is useless.

Approaching 20k miles, the brakes and tires needed replacing. Those silly kumho tires are hard to find and expensive (and last about 2 years!).

Fed up with the costly repairs warranty wont cover and still owing 3 years on it - I finally and gladly let that piece of crap go. I feel sorry for whoever buys it used.

I do want to say that I am a cautious driver and never hot-rod or drive stupid. All maintenance was kept up on time. I almost did think it had to be my driving until I checked the reviews at edmunds.com - and WOW was I surprised to see how many people were having the same problems.

I sure hope those of you considering a 2010 model seriously think about it first. Maybe they have worked out the problems, but I wouldnt chance it if you paid me!

Im a happy Jeep Patriot owner now and what a difference it makes!!!

So you went and bought a Patriot????? My sister-in law bought a 2010 patriot and there is absolutly nothing spectacular about this vehicle as well. If you were so un happy with Chrysler/Dodge products you think you would have jumped ship but you stayed. You basically bought another journey with a different body on it.

So you went and bought a Patriot????? My sister-in law bought a 2010 patriot and there is absolutly nothing spectacular about this vehicle as well. If you were so un happy with Chrysler/Dodge products you think you would have jumped ship but you stayed. You basically bought another journey with a different body on it.

Never said I was unhappy with Chryler vehicles - I loved my Durango when I had it. I just needed better gas mileage when it was time for something new.

OMG - NO way is the Jeep anything like Journey!

Hey if you're happy with yours, fine and dandy. I'd hate for anyone to have the problems I had with mine. Check edmunds.com for over 200 reviews of this model and far too many had the exact same problems.

Im only trying to give heads up to folks considering this vehicle and not knowing anything about it.

No need for ??????????????????????????? stuff

FWIW the '09 Journey was built by a different company.

Also, Edmunds.com lists a 9.2 average user rating on the 2010 Journey. Of course, there's only 12 reviews, but this is after they started requiring you offer some form of proof you purchased one. No more "I rented an xyz and what a piece of crap!" reviews for any of the listed cars.

Never said I was unhappy with Chryler vehicles - I loved my Durango when I had it. I just needed better gas mileage when it was time for something new.

OMG - NO way is the Jeep anything like Journey!

Hey if you're happy with yours, fine and dandy. I'd hate for anyone to have the problems I had with mine. Check edmunds.com for over 200 reviews of this model and far too many had the exact same problems.

Im only trying to give heads up to folks considering this vehicle and not knowing anything about it.

No need for ??????????????????????????? stuff

Look, you just joined this forum today at 2 PM and all 9 of your posts are all about how crappy your Journey was, I get it. One or two post would have done the trick. BTW the Patriot may have been built by a different company but it is basically the same chassis. It has that same weak 4 cylinder engine (so all the reviewers say) as a base model Journey. Anyhow like I said before, we get it, the Journey sucks. Go join a Jeep forum and gush about it there. Rixell out.

Look, you just joined this forum today at 2 PM and all 9 of your posts are all about how crappy your Journey was, I get it. One or two post would have done the trick. BTW the Patriot may have been built by a different company but it is basically the same chassis. It has that same weak 4 cylinder engine (so all the reviewers say) as a base model Journey. Anyhow like I said before, we get it, the Journey sucks. Go join a Jeep forum and gush about it there. Rixell out.

my you are testy! How is anyone supposed to really know what they are getting if not for people who are willing to tell the truth? Oh well, I had to learn the hard way.........

:dogwalk:

my you are testy! How is anyone supposed to really know what they are getting if not for people who are willing to tell the truth? Oh well, I had to learn the hard way.........

:dogwalk:

You're basically trolling and nobody like a troll.

So you had a bad experience and you posted about it - fine. There is PLENTY of that on this board, some far, far worse than window visors falling off and premature brake wear. Information is great and if someone finds your comments useful, all the better. But then to go around to every thread and continue to bash the vehicle, that's where you crossed the line into trollhood.

Sure the Journey had problems out of the gate. That was both a function of new model glitches and a company that was in massive disarray at the time. CGLLC is a different company now with new management, new quality assurance processes and a new corporate culture. They've admitted their problems and have worked hard to address them. This is supported by an ever decreasing problem score on TrueDelta, significantly lower warranty claims per 1000 vehicles and a far less frequent occurrence of horror stories here on the forum.

My '10 SXT has been 100% problem free through 8,000 miles and I know there are many others on this forum who have had the same experience. Sure, there are some people with problems, too, but that's just the way it goes. That IS the nature of this forum after all. We come here to discuss problems, issues, experiences, wants and desires regarding our vehicles. Sharing our knowledge helps everyone here. To have someone come and basically say we are all idiots for purchasing this vehicle contributes absolutely nothing.

(I'm not sure why I bothered to type all this up because I am quite certain jeepgal will never be logging into this forum again)

You're basically trolling and nobody like a troll.

So you had a bad experience and you posted about it - fine. There is PLENTY of that on this board, some far, far worse than window visors falling off and premature brake wear. Information is great and if someone finds your comments useful, all the better. But then to go around to every thread and continue to bash the vehicle, that's where you crossed the line into trollhood.

Sure the Journey had problems out of the gate. That was both a function of new model glitches and a company that was in massive disarray at the time. CGLLC is a different company now with new management, new quality assurance processes and a new corporate culture. They've admitted their problems and have worked hard to address them. This is supported by an ever decreasing problem score on TrueDelta, significantly lower warranty claims per 1000 vehicles and a far less frequent occurrence of horror stories here on the forum.

My '10 SXT has been 100% problem free through 8,000 miles and I know there are many others on this forum who have had the same experience. Sure, there are some people with problems, too, but that's just the way it goes. That IS the nature of this forum after all. We come here to discuss problems, issues, experiences, wants and desires regarding our vehicles. Sharing our knowledge helps everyone here. To have someone come and basically say we are all idiots for purchasing this vehicle contributes absolutely nothing.

(I'm not sure why I bothered to type all this up because I am quite certain jeepgal will never be logging into this forum again)

Amen brother. I'm glad someone else saw it the way I did.

i have an 09 journey with close to 150000kms on it and agree with jeepgal, with all repairs done to my vehicle i could of easily upgraded to a honda pilot, toyota highlander gmc acaidia or ford flex and still been money ahead, also then i would of had a vehicle with some resale value. ihave been a mechanic for 35 years and thought dodge was improving quality in the last decade. was i ever wrong. in 35 years of driving i have never seen a worse vehicle, sure the ride and handling are decent but if you cant drive it because its allways in the shop what good is it. Keep in mind that most of my problems are reacurring and that after your warranty is over dodge will not help you . dodge vehicles have sunk to a new all time low and they should of been forced into complete bankrupcy and dissolved. i have owned 5 dodge vehicles in my life and will never consider buying another.

We have an 09 Journey SE. We have 18k miles on it. We bought it in Dec 08 and I think it was built in April or May that year. Done service every 3000 miles and havent had any problems yet. Tires are ok. Brakes were checked at 15k miles service and are still ok. I hope/assume they will last another 10k miles. So far no problems at all.

... i could of easily upgraded to a honda pilot, toyota highlander gmc acaidia or ford flex and still been money ahead...

Of course that assumes you wouldn't have had any problems with any of those other vehicles. I notice a lot of people always think the "grass is greener" with another brand but last I checked, all dealerships had service facilities. Given that the service department is largely responsible for keeping any dealership in business, what does that tell you?

... ihave been a mechanic for 35 years and thought dodge was improving quality in the last decade. was i ever wrong.

Actually, it's pretty common knowledge that when Daimler-Benz took over in '98, quality has been on a slow downward spiral. So much for German engineering! Two owners later, it's getting better...

Just to add my two cents worth... I've had my Journey for 10 months now and she has 34,000 miles on her. Still has the original brakes and tires, but I would expect to have to replace the front brakes by 40,000 and the tires not far after that. The only warranty items were a visor cover, a u-Connect module, and a plastic cowl at the base of the windshield. Knock on wood she has been great so far, by the way mine was manufactured in Apr '09.

Happy motoring....

• 3 weeks later...