2014 Journey 2.4 fuel system issues

Blufalcon131

So 2 weeks ago the engine would sputter and everytime I would press the accelerator it would bog/cut out response then kick in with a jolt. I changed the fuel pump as I thought this was the problem. Ran with no problems until last night, the same issues but this time the lightning bolt light and ABS light came on.

1 hour ago, Blufalcon131 said:

So 2 weeks ago the engine would sputter and everytime I would press the accelerator it would bog/cut out response then kick in with a jolt. I changed the fuel pump as I thought this was the problem. Ran with no problems until last night, the same issues but this time the lightning bolt light and ABS light came on.

Although you say no CEL, a scan of the computer MAY show something. These 2.4 motors have a few "quirks" that cause poor running/starting that may not be a direct fuel problem yet NOT turn on the CEL. Also how many miles on this vehicle, as there are some maint. things(like spark plugs) that can also show similar symptoms.

Edited by 5rebel9

25 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

Although you say no CEL, a scan of the computer MAY show something. These 2.4 motors have a few "quirks" that cause poor running/starting that may not be a direct fuel problem yet NOT turn on the CEL. Also how many miles on this vehicle, as there are some maint. things(like spark plugs) that can also show similar symptoms.

The car has 149,000 miles. I need to change the spark plugs for sure but didn't think that it might cause the issue

needs to be scanned with a good scanner,, my 2014 3.6 keeps coming up with brake light, lightning bolt light and ABS light,,,as well thought it might be a wheel speed sensor but ended up being the abs module,,, so many different reason for the lights so get it scanned and your local part store scanners are not good enough for some of the codes... oh and by the way my abs module is on order with the dealership they said it should be here around jan of 2023 i am lucky not to be having any other systems then the lights the brakes are still working okay

Yup, I'd not push facyory spec plugs beyond 60k miles on these motors. Have you ever cleaned the gunk out of the throttle body butterfly area? The throttle body is electrically opened and closed by means of multiple plastic gears that over time wear out and give poor/ no response to pedal inputs and turn on the lightning bolt icon(which is specifically for the throttle body). also the CRANKSHAFT position sensor is a bit tricky to operation without always throwing a code, but OTHER engine sensors react to a dying CPS. Thus the suggestion to have a good scan done.

5 minutes ago, Blufalcon131 said:

The car has 149,000 miles. I need to change the spark plugs for sure but didn't think that it might cause the issue

if its the 2.4 eng the plugs are cheap and easy to do only use the copper core ones OEM brand  amazon   

4 pc NGK V-Power Spark Plugs compatible with Jeep Patriot 2.0L 2.4L L4 2007-2017 Ignition Wire Secondary

$14.72$14.72    these are the plugs that i used in my daughters mail vehicle EVERY 30 k   and she put 160 k on it stop and go and NEVER had any problems due to the plugs dont upgrade to the iridium plugs as once the y sent thoes plugs instead of the ones i ordered and we had problems with them