Brake switch for trailer brakes

jimmyupson

Because you can't tap into the existing brake switch to create a signal to your brake controller. (I think it's a logic input to the main processor, not 12 vdc)

If you have the know how and the necessary items, ( 2 small plates and drill the holes for the brake switch, Beck Arnley 201-1105 Stop Light Switch.)

Once you remove the trim plate below the steering wheel, then notice the existing frame layout. Line up and adjust the brake switch actuator with the brake arm above the pedal.

You will have to buy an extra nut to make the height adjustment and hold the plates clamped in place (use blue thread locker) with the existing frame. Tightening the nuts while adjusting is a little tedious and tight. Needle nose vise grip pliers help for one of the nuts to hold it in place while tightening the other. I think the nuts were reversed compared to the picture.

To keep the plates in place add some self drilling/tapping #10 screws. The plates I used were something I already had. Yours might look different depending on the way you cut them. (use blue thread locker) I did 1/8" pilot holes first.

Please see the pictures.

-Jim, Hamilton Ontario

20220615_101823.jpg

20220615_101923.jpg

20220615_132214.jpg

The ram Promaster van used the Journey drive line with much higher tow ratings, probably much larger tranny oil cooler.

62 TE tyranny in both.

All ProMaster vans are motivated by a 3.6-liter V-6 engine that provides 280 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed automatic transmission sends power to the front wheels. In our track tests, the Ram ProMaster made it from zero to 60 mph in 8.1 seconds. That's a solid performance, but other vans in this segment are quicker. For example, the Ford Transit made the same sprint in a mere 6.8 seconds, and the Nissan NV took 7.5 seconds to complete the run. Ram's ProMaster can tow up to 6800 pounds. This gives it less towing power than rivals such as the Ford Transit (7500 pounds). However, this Ram van compensates with its strong payload capability. It can accommodate up to 4680 pounds, which gives it a higher payload rating than competing models such as the Transit. W

I think the bigger issue is the Journey unibody is not rated for a class 3 or 4 hitch that would be needed for tongue weight of about 10% minimum of trailer weight. In a major accident the insurance company is going to look at the specifics and possibly deny a claim.  A lot of half ton pick up people are in the same territory with over sized trailer towing.

Very nice install work and write up. In Ontario where I am, too much traffic and nasty insurance companies to want to go this route. My 2 cents.

https://www.allpar.com/threads/6-speed-auto-in-the-promaster.166506/