Shocks/struts repair costs (Vancouver BC )

I was wondering if anyone in the Vancouver/Fraser Valley region has any thoughts on what I should be paying for this. My mechanic said the front left strut is leaking and both fronts will have to be replaced. Normally I trust these people, but since I knew nothing about it I looked it up, and any of the telltale signs of problems, I’m just not having with my vehicle (Dodge Journey 2014; 49k km/30k mi). Some people are telling me to just wait until it acts up. The mechanics are quoting $2000 CAD (1400-1500 USD), parts and labour (and taxes in, if I recall correctly).

Does that sound like a reasonable quote?

As an aside, my decision whether to go ahead and repair it is complicated by my thinking of switching to another vehicle, and I know from past experience, the dealership will give me peanuts as a trade-in. Not happy about putting $2000 into it when I know the dealership won’t be giving me anything near that (even though it’s a great vehicle). But, that aside, I’m wondering mainly about the fairness of the quote. Thanks!

yes if its leaking,then it's time to do it,also you dont have to do both sides but it is best to do them both, and of course you will need a 4 wheel alinement after the work.watch some you tube videos on how to do the fronts not that hard if you buy the compleat units, a lot harder if you are just replacing the strut inside the coil spring,,,you can do it  sounds high to me,,,,,,,,,  $200-400 us for 2 front struts plus around 100 for a 4 wheel alignment  plus your own labor free    be ready to pay more for quality struts over the cheap ones     where was your quote from a local garage will be cheaper then the dealership......just wondering how many miles you have on your 2014,, i just turned 129k on my 2014

Edited by 2late4u

On 7/13/2022 at 11:14 PM, Kubda said:

I was wondering if anyone in the Vancouver/Fraser Valley region has any thoughts on what I should be paying for this. My mechanic said the front left strut is leaking and both fronts will have to be replaced. Normally I trust these people, but since I knew nothing about it I looked it up, and any of the telltale signs of problems, I’m just not having with my vehicle (Dodge Journey 2014; 49k km/30k mi). Some people are telling me to just wait until it acts up. The mechanics are quoting $2000 CAD (1400-1500 USD), parts and labour (and taxes in, if I recall correctly).

Does that sound like a reasonable quote?

As an aside, my decision whether to go ahead and repair it is complicated by my thinking of switching to another vehicle, and I know from past experience, the dealership will give me peanuts as a trade-in. Not happy about putting $2000 into it when I know the dealership won’t be giving me anything near that (even though it’s a great vehicle). But, that aside, I’m wondering mainly about the fairness of the quote. Thanks!

I just replaced my front struts - Toronto - 2016 RT with 120,000 Km - Left one leaking.

At the Dealership, Ontario Chrysler, new original Chrysler Quick Struts, plus alignent, labor with "free" courtesy rental. $1474.09 WITH Tax.

I think you're being VERY ripped off!

• 3 weeks later...

I took it into Canadian Tire and they told me there's nothing wrong with the struts (which is what I suspected). They were also charging a lot less, at around $1,400 CAD.

It was actually in there for the appointment so they didn't need to do the work and I thank them for their honesty.