Upgrades on my Journey

Hi all,

Like on every car i own, i already did dome work on my DJ.

My DJ is the 2.0 crd 140  hp from 2009 with 19'' wheels. it has already 169000 km(around 105000 miles), and in need of some TLC. So, to make sure that i wouldn't have any surprise i changed:

- Timing belt and water pump and thermostat - Done

- Engine, brake and gearbox Fluids - Done

- All filters (oil, fuel, air and cockpit) - Done

- AC recharged - Done

- Clutch - complete kit with Dual mass Flywheel - Done

- ECU Remap to 180 hp and 400Nm - Done

- EBC brakes Turbo Groove with Yellowstuff pads (ordered and waiting patiently....)

I thought about swapping the OE system to 330 mm brakes in the front and 328mm at the back, but the price that they charge for the needed parts here in Portugal is insane!! - hopefully with this EBC brake system, it will be enough to upgrade the OE system.

In your opinion, what type of Suspension upgrade would be  ideal to use on the DJ? i don't want to lift or lower the suspension, but ideally i would like to get better handling and safety.

8 hours ago, JohnP said:

Hi all,

Like on every car i own, i already did dome work on my DJ.

My DJ is the 2.0 crd 140  hp from 2009 with 19'' wheels. it has already 169000 km(around 105000 miles), and in need of some TLC. So, to make sure that i wouldn't have any surprise i changed:

- Timing belt and water pump and thermostat - Done

- Engine, brake and gearbox Fluids - Done

- All filters (oil, fuel, air and cockpit) - Done

- AC recharged - Done

- Clutch - complete kit with Dual mass Flywheel - Done

- ECU Remap to 180 hp and 400Nm - Done

- EBC brakes Turbo Groove with Yellowstuff pads (ordered and waiting patiently....)

I thought about swapping the OE system to 330 mm brakes in the front and 328mm at the back, but the price that they charge for the needed parts here in Portugal is insane!! - hopefully with this EBC brake system, it will be enough to upgrade the OE system.

In your opinion, what type of Suspension upgrade would be  ideal to use on the DJ? i don't want to lift or lower the suspension, but ideally i would like to get better handling and safety.

I'm not a great mechanic or anything close. But the North American Ones are fitted with what they call "Performance Suspension" on the RT trim for example.

I would try to find the equivalent for the same year as yours. On mine and compared to some I drove in Portugal there's an obvious diference with a lot less body roll and less sinking when braking.

Keep in mind that for that size, weight, year and being American... It's not a Xantia or a C5...

6 hours ago, Miguel Pereira said:

I'm not a great mechanic or anything close. But the North American Ones are fitted with what they call "Performance Suspension" on the RT trim for example.

I would try to find the equivalent for the same year as yours. On mine and compared to some I drove in Portugal there's an obvious diference with a lot less body roll and less sinking when braking.

Keep in mind that for that size, weight, year and being American... It's not a Xantia or a C5...

Yes, that i know. I don't mind the softness of the suspension, it is quite comfortable. But since those shocks are the ones that came with the car, after 169k i think that its more than time to change them. The Performance Suspension is mainly the shocks or they also change other parts? Will those shocks fit? I actually found on a online store both versions.

To my best knowledge, as long as the online store says they are compatible with your year, it should be just that.

Mine is a 2016 R/T (V6 as is the only option here). Recently a was hearing a noise in the front left. I thought it could be a control arm or tie rod.

Turned out that the front shocks were the problem. One was already leaking. At Dodge they asked what type I wanted, original, after market, etc.

I asked to have the same ones as I wanted the same "performance suspension".

In your case, because you're doing preventive maintenance, if you're replacing them, please do all 4.

I remember the first time I saw one Journey in Portugal. It was breaking hard due to a red light. The suspension travel was huge! Looked like it wanted to sink underground.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

So my DJ keeps on giving... Headaches!

I have to change the engine mounts, and what a surprise... 2 ( K05171083AD) of them are no longer available for the Portuguese market! Also i bursted the tube that goes from the turbocharger to the intercooler...

I'm still waiting for the EBC discs to arrive and of we go to the mechanic!

Now for the good parts... As soon as i changed that tube, the fuel consumption and power got way better, even better than before. It was probably already faulty to begin with...

Hopefully, after i change the engine mounts, the vibrations that i have as soon as i press the accelerator, will go away. Also, there is an annoying metallic sound each time i accelerate. I checked all terminals, wishbones, etc. And everything looked good. 

All i want right now is to appreciate my car, travel with it without any worries and enjoy the experience... Well... As soo. As it lets me ?

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, been away for a while finally enjoying my DJ ;)

EBC brakes and pads made a huge difference in safety, and after tweeking the ECU for the 4th time i think we finally managed to get a proper ratio on that hellish german engine!

I also went on vacations with the family and tried it out for real (country roads in "Serra da Estrela"and Arganil, even one of the most famous Rally roads in Portugal), and Boy, did he behave lke a champ!

Good milleage, and lots and lots of fun!!

1660915455897.thumb.jpg.4b001fbfaab81452e4aa2150ddfc4c9f.jpg

Edited by JohnP
typo

1 minute ago, Miguel Pereira said:

Nice ride and place! See a few younger pine trees that haven't burned out so far! ;)

For ECU issues, when I lived in Portugal, ONLY PKE.

Enjoy! 

That was in Arganil, they only had like a small fire nearby. Serra da Estrela fire was after i arrived to Almada.

Yes, i'm a regular costumer of PKE, all my diesel cars were tuned by them, but on this one i went and tried a local shop... so... lets say that its like going to Tijuana for a nose job (ofcourse it went wrong!)

But luckly a managed to properly correct it and its finally ok. in a month or so, i will go to PKE and test it on the Dyno just to make sure, but, at least from what i'm used too, it feels pretty good. You feel the power increase smoothly and constant.

Originally my DJ was doing 11-12 l/100 km, in city roads, now its 7,3 l/100 km. On Highways with a constant 120 km/hour is doing 5,9 l/100 km when in the past the best i could do was 7,3 l/100 km.

Top speed didn't increase, but it wasn't something that i was too worried about, since right now you have police radars all over Portugal roads and you really can't try your luck like in the past.

Just now, Miguel Pereira said:

I wish the V6 AWD would do those numbers.... But on the other hand, gas is 1.23 Euro/L today. 

Over here Diesel is dead, as always has been for the most part.

Enjoy!

I also wished that i could get petrol at that price... i would have loved to have the V6 AWD!

But what surprised me was how well the DJ behaved even on those dusty roads. It was surprisingly comfortable even with all the bumps/ups and downs on the track.

Just now, JohnP said:

I also wished that i could get petrol at that price... i would have loved to have the V6 AWD!

But what surprised me was how well the DJ behaved even on those dusty roads. It was surprisingly comfortable even with all the bumps/ups and downs on the track.

I like it a lot. It's confortable, It handles well.

Mine needed front shocks recently, had it done at Dodge using the "factory" ones. Price is equivalent to other places around me.

On 19/08/2022 at 3:14 PM, Locosiete said:

Not that i have did any actual off road driving in my DJ but will say the few times i had it off the pavement it did very well. On snow and ice it also performed well but sometimes would disengage the AWD if tired slipped too much. That COMPLETELY changed how well it did off road.  

But great photo!!

My DJ isn't awd, so all i can do is very soft off-road. Its a shame, but here in Portugal if you want to have an awd, you will have to be prepared to pay as much as double the price for tolls, insurance, etc. It was out of reach for my budget. But even so, comparing with my nissan qashqai, which is a brand new car, my dodge is far better! It doesn't loose in comfort, performance and interior space, it just loses in fuel economy.

• 11 months later...
On 30/06/2022 at 8:50 AM, JohnP said:

Hi all,

So my DJ keeps on giving... Headaches!

I have to change the engine mounts, and what a surprise... 2 ( K05171083AD) of them are no longer available for the Portuguese market! Also i bursted the tube that goes from the turbocharger to the intercooler...

I'm still waiting for the EBC discs to arrive and of we go to the mechanic!

Now for the good parts... As soon as i changed that tube, the fuel consumption and power got way better, even better than before. It was probably already faulty to begin with...

Hopefully, after i change the engine mounts, the vibrations that i have as soon as i press the accelerator, will go away. Also, there is an annoying metallic sound each time i accelerate. I checked all terminals, wishbones, etc. And everything looked good. 

All i want right now is to appreciate my car, travel with it without any worries and enjoy the experience... Well... As soo. As it lets me ?

Hi JohnP.

I live in Porto and I soon will buy a 2008 CRD R/T DJ, that is for sale in Lisbon. 

But what you said about the engine mounts let me concerned. Did you get that spare parts? Get it here in Portugal or order online from another country? By your experience here in PT, for DJ is difficult to get new original spare parts?

well on 25 yr old cars sometimes replacement parts can be difficult to find, as of now my 2014 journey is drivable but i am waiting on an ABS module for my journey it has been on backorder for about 1.5 yr as of now thur the dealership, and to be honest ITS not just dodge its all Manufactures that are having this parts problem