Hi.  I've asked this before without any luck.  Just checking back.  I have a 2011 DJ R/T.  Chrysler and Garmin seem to have stopped providing map updates for my RB5 radio.  I'm fine with my somewhat outdated RB5 functionality.   I just want an updated map.  Anyone know how to buy or hack a map update?

Peace.  

Map updating depends on which version of the RB5 you have.

If it is the one that uses the CTP13-CTP19 firmware versions you can follow the instructions here: 

https://www.chargerforums.com/threads/how-to-map-update-on-uconnect-ctp13-2013-2014.236649/

Instructions seem to have last been updated last year - you'd need to find the current versions of the mapping files, vut they are still being updated by Garmin.

8 minutes ago, Redtomatoman123 said:

How do I figure out the firmware version?  Is there somewhere in the menus that will show that?

Thanks.

There's one of the screens in Nav that tells you what version of firmware (CTP) you're using.

9 hours ago, Redtomatoman123 said:

So I looked on the charger forum.  It seems that you need a garmin nuvi navigation unit to use as a go-between to update the RB5 maps.  I don't have that.  ?

I guess I'll just drive with old maps.  

Peace.

There are plenty of old Nuvis on eBay that you can use. I recommend a 2597 LMT (Lifetime Maps), which should help. The North American set is up to 2022.25 (last I checked) and works really well. You can use the procedure from another thread in the discussion board, which guides you through the maps replacement. Just make sure you have an 8GB flash drive (SanDisk preferred), and 2 hours or so available to let your car run uninterrupted.

Ok.  I pulled the trigger on a garmin Nuvi from eBay.  I'll try to get my maps updated. 

@JAR414

If you know the location of a detailed and accurate procedure, I would appreciate a link to that.  Not sure if the one on the charger forum is the best.  Some was from the poster's memory...

Peace.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 11:28 PM, Redtomatoman123 said:

Ok.  I pulled the trigger on a garmin Nuvi from eBay.  I'll try to get my maps updated. 

@JAR414

If you know the location of a detailed and accurate procedure, I would appreciate a link to that.  Not sure if the one on the charger forum is the best.  Some was from the poster's memory...

Peace.  

Connect the Nuvi to the web (assuming it has Lifetime Maps), and let it update itself using the Garmin software. 

After that, you need to access the file system for the Nuvi (including looking at the Hidden directories), and download the similar files as in this thread. (The file names may be different, but you can tell which ones you will need, usually). Then follow the instructions in the thread above.

12 hours ago, Redtomatoman123 said:

Hi.  So I've come to understand that the 2011 RB5 doesn't have enough memory for the latest maps.  I can't load the map update onto my RB5 bc there just isn't enough system memory.   

Does the 2013 version have more?  Have you tried using one of the partial maps?

• 3 weeks later...