BAD VIBRATION FROM REAR OVER 50 MPH

rftech

My 2013 Dodge Journey AWD with 97,000 miles has a very bad vibration noise coming from the rear end above 50 mph.

I had my Dodge Journey diagnosed by several repair centers that gave me different diagnostic opinions - bad driveshaft, differential, or I just do not know.

Even my brother who is a retired mechanic told me that it was most likely a bad driveshaft.

I had a new new driveshaft installed and guess what, the vibration is still there.

Bad differential ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

I like to start my replies to these type questions with the basics. 

HOW did they "diagnose" the car to reach their "opinions"?

Were tires checked for a broken belt or bent rim?

How about springs and rear suspension bushings?

Did anyone even bother to drain some of the rear diff gear oil and check for metal contamination/ With that many miles diff(rear) and power take off (front) for rear driveshaft are due for drain and fresh lubes anyway.

Sorry for not not giving more details.about how these repair centers diagnose cars today.

The 1st place that I took my car to was a FIRESTONE service center. They basically did very little troubleshooting and told me that I probably had a bad driveshaft and advised me to go to a transmission repair shop. I went to a recommended transmission repair shop and they told me that they had no idea what was wrong. The 3rd place I took my car to was Monroe;s and a mechanic there took my car for a drive and told me that I had a bad differential.

I just about give up ! It seems like most of the auto repair shops in Mercer County NJ do not diagnose cars anymore and only play a guessing game.

I hate to say it, but I will be taking my 2013 Dodge Journey to the Chrysler dealership in Flemmington NJ for a final diagnostic testing next Monday, and I am sure that I will pay a arm and a leg for the repairs.

Conclusion: I am very disappointing in the poorly untrained, unexperienced and unknowlegable  mechanics that we have to deal with today..

Frank

There was no need to guess and replace driveshaft. Original could have been removed and car driven around with out it to see if vibration is gone before changing it. Time to find a new shop.  Did dealer swap the expensive drive shaft.?

Move back tires to the front and see if vibration moves accordingly. Tire or rim like rebel5 mentioned is possible. Bad rotor or various suspension parts can create vibration as well. There are vibration measurement tools that some shops use for trouble shooting. 

Edited by John/Horace

Hi John,

Thanks for the great info. The dealer did not have a driveshaft and could not get one but I did get get a good after market one from a company in California for a decent price.

I will take your advise and I will have the two back tires moved to the front to see if this helps, and will let you know the outcome.

Frank

Edited by rftech