po128

2late4u

well the old check engine light came on coming home from a lunch out,,got to checking all my  temps and gages and the eng temp running around 170-175 so stopped at a parts store they checked and said either thermostat or temp sensor,so the journey normally runs around 195-198 so i picked up  a new thermostat and gal of antifreeze, got home and thought this will be a breeze since its a 3.6 but damn that bottom bolt is hard to get to and they made them so long, ( at least thats what she said) took a while longer than i originally  thought but finally got it changed out and really didnt lose that much fluid, added a bit of fluid and started up the journey with the heat on and opened the bleed screw a few times and then cleaned up everything and took it for a drive, didnt take long and the gauge was reading 199- 206 and was blowing good heat out the vents took it on a long drive stopped a few times to see if any ,more air in the system but nope all good the eng light is still on and stopped by parts store and they said it will go off if everything is okay after 3 cold-hot start and stops, i knew they could turn it off with their scanner but they didnt seem to want to ,,,,,pretty sure this will fix it hope its not the coolant sensor but this was the easiest fix so started here but dam that coolant cost more than the thermostat  19.99 for the stat and 20 something for the correct fluid

well i did the 3 cold to hot starts and eng light was still on,some say on youtube it has to be turned off with a scanner,so off to oreillys and asked the same kid to turn it off, he was kind of hesitant but finally did after he saying look i buy all my parts here,then i  took it for another long drive no lights and everything acting normal, we were going off on a trip next monday so it was weighing on my mind wanted to get it done...LOL

You really should spend a FEEW bucks for a cheap OBDII scanner, they also at least have a "clear codes" function. You do realize that when any scanner is used that IM monitors also are cleared and have to go thru the self test/reset process. Disconnecting the power at the TIPM/Fuse panel/Jumper post for 5 minutes would do the same thing and radio presets and such would not be forgotten..

YUP, antifreeze is (and always has been) more expensive than most thermostats!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!    :)

Edited by 5rebel9

decided to pull the overflow tank just to clean it out, just 2 bolts and remove the clamp on the inlet top side,and i removed the ckamp on the hose where it attaches to the aluminum pipe towards the front middle of the fan and motor made it real easy to remove it...LOL the tank after draining it look real clean guess it was the dark MOPAR antifreeze that made it look dirty...LOL oh well its done now but had to rebleed the system but that is a snap with the bleeder screw,,just be careful with the tank it is around $80-90  replacement      thermostat must have been going bad For a while as man the heat sure seems a lot hotter now

Edited by 2late4u