Journeyphenia

The sunglass holder, in my 2015 Crossroad broke. There was no more spring action because the spring moved from behind it's set position. It was still under warranty so Dodge fixed it but a new one would be expensive to purchase so here is a fix. The issue is likely the thin plastic edge, that the spring rests behind, isn't strong enough and cracks. Once it cracks, the spring jumps out of position. 

I fixed this by adding a nut in between 2 points(blue) and used gorilla glue to secure the nut. In the photo you can see the spring edge (yellow)before it is placed back behind the plastic edge(red).

Getting the console out of the ceiling is fairly easy. There are six locations where it's pressed into the headliner. You want to carefully pry that off and then remove the two electrical wires for the map lights. Putting it back on is a little more difficult. I think Dodge places that console into the headliner before they install the headliner. If you try and press the console back into the headliner there's too much give in the console, it flexes too much to press the console in. I used a couple rolled up pieces of cardboard behind the headliner to give it the rigidity to be able to snap the console back up. I would suggest using foam blocks or something similar to place behind the headliner so there's a backing so you can snap the console to the headliner. Good luck!MotoNote_20211107-065728.thumb.png.86b1b863149167152aca77062ad75f66.png

• 1 year later...

Great write-up. Currently dealing with this, this morning. Saw that the spring was out and tried pushing it back into place with a flathead screwdriver. It worked, but it just snapped out of place again. Was running late for work so I'll spend proper time with it later. 

about 6 months ago mine made a funny noise as it was closing BUT it still works if when closing it i push it back closed, gently  i wasnt sure what happened but as long as it will close i didnt want to tear into it as i have a poor track record on fixing things like this....LOl

3 hours ago, 2late4u said:

about 6 months ago mine made a funny noise as it was closing BUT it still works if when closing it i push it back closed, gently  i wasnt sure what happened but as long as it will close i didnt want to tear into it as i have a poor track record on fixing things like this....LOl

Lol ya i tore right into mine. That little spring does NOT want to stay in place, so I threw it away. Still opens and closes perfectly. Just takes forever for it to open now, as there is no spring action lol