2009 Journey (80k miles) V6 3.5 liter broke down this weekend.
'Battery' light came on, a minute later all sorts of warning lights and engine died. I think I heard a hint of rubbing/grinding noise (not sure, may not be related).
Coasting to stop off the highway, NOTHGING goes (no lights, etc; could not even move shifter out of P).
Towed.
Spent a day trying to find the cause.
Removed battery and checked all cables.
Replaced the entire fuese/relay holder (had a spare).
Removed and cleaned all contacts on the driver's side connector bar.
Removed and cleaned ground contact I found (driver and passenger side towers (3 cables each).
Removed and cleaned 2 larger connectors under driver's side kick panel.
Now, when connecting battery power, the lights come on. But when trying to crank, nothing, no click.
Removed the starter and tested. Works (solenoid kicks in, motor turns). Will finish installing the starter.

What else can I try to determine what is causing the problem.

The grinding rubbing sounds concern me. Although it might turn over afterwards, I hope timing belt has not jumped.

Piston can bend valves and kill cylinder head on interference engines. Usually 100k or 5 yrs old for belt change interval.

If it’s just a starting with key issue. When starter is back in,, jumper the two contacts on starter, I think 85 and 87. They bypass key switch , security,Park neutral switch etc. If it turns over it’s one of by passed items. Could also try starting in neutral.

3 hours ago, John/Horace said:

The grinding rubbing sounds concern me. Although it might turn over afterwards, I hope timing belt has not jumped.

Piston can bend valves and kill cylinder head on interference engines. Usually 100k or 5 yrs old for belt change interval.

If it’s just a starting with key issue. When starter is back in,, jumper the two contacts on starter, I think 85 and 87. They bypass key switch , security,Park neutral switch etc. If it turns over it’s one of by passed items. Could also try starting in neutral.

Did not sound like jumped timing belt. "BATTERY" light came before complete shutdown. With the rubbing noice (think something touching the fan), I thought battery cable rubbed through and shorted. 

Is there a 'mega fuse'?

I will trace ground to starter and phat positive to starter. 

Plan also to have 2nd person 'start' while I check if power comes to the starter solenoid. 

Similar to 'jump' the starter (key on, feed 12V to starter solenoid and ensure 12V on phat starter wire); bypassing any of the security lock outs. 

IF starter kicks in with bypass: does the car have an immobilizer? Last week had a 'crank but no spark' issue on son's car. For some reason, car had triggered immobilizer. Disconnected the battery, which reset the code. Does the Journey have something like that?

Next I plan to connect batter (or jumper box), ignition on and turn key to 'start' (starter NOT connected again). With key on, I assume I should have +12 on phat starter cable, and with key to 'start' I should see 12V on the small wire to starter (to initiate the starter solenoid and sending 12V to the starter motor). Correct?

Edited by regulatorfix

You mentioned mega fuse.  Most cars have a 150 ish amp main fuse right at positive terminal,  or sometimes in main fuse panel. Check it for continuity, not easy to buy fuse.  

Battery light coming on meant ecm saw less than 12 volts. If main fuse blew or alternator stopped charging this would occur.

Try charging battery for a few hours if not showing 12.3-12.7. Yes small wire on solenoid at starter will only get 12 power when the key is being held in start position. Big wire carrying start power. always has 12 volts.

Edited by John/Horace