Climate Control

Crystaln831

Hi I have a 2017 Dodge Journey that’s AC / hear kicks on at random times . And it will go on 5 -6 times in a row and I have to constantly turn off ... then it can go a few weeks and all of a sudden go on all by itself ..Is there any solution on how to fix this ?? And if this is a reoccurring issue with Dodge Journeys it seems this is some type of defect ... I use my vehicle to commute to n from work and personal use .. However I find this to be a major distraction and unsafe.While I’m driving I shouldn’t have to keep turning the heat or AC off .... 

Do you have automatic climate control?  In other words do you set a temperature or just turn the knob from blue to red?  If you set the temperature the system is working as it should. There are sensors in the car that detect the cabin temperature and turn heat/AC on-off to meet that temperature.  If it’s just the knob that’s something for someone else to answer.  I have auto climate control so not sure how the basic system should function.

I'll preface my response with a note:
This is just one of many possible abstract reasons which might relates to climate control acting weird- So don't panic reading this, and try solving it from simpler causes first, before diving in:

electrical gremlins may be caused by low voltage in the battery (due to either a failing battery or a failing alternator). If this climate control issue persists, try disconnecting the negative terminal in the engine bay for 40 minutes (which will cause you to lose presets). when you plug back in, see if this fixes the issue. If the issue goes away for a while then comes back , I'd think it has to do with the battery.

Other examples of the battery getting weak:
if the battery is getting old, or alternator not providing perfect power other systems will start 'acting funny' for example, the volume knob will not work, or the radio stack will reset randomly. sometime errors on the dashboard like 'low battery in key fob' which are intermittent, and inconsistent  are a tell tale sign of this weak battery. 

Edited by NavalLacrosse