Can't get music to play from phone

My title is a bit misleading, but this is my issue. I just bought a 2014 Dodge Journey last week and trying to get MP3's to play from my phone. Bluetooth is connected and my phone works. If I choose my phone under devices on the audio panel it shows that a device is connected, but does not show any files or folders and nothing plays. If I go to my music folder on my phone and play an MP3 it does come out of the car speakers. How do I get the MP3's to show up on the audio panel and be able to start them from there, and have them play one after the other. Under the other scenario only one mp3 will play then it says on the audio panel to press play to continue. I do that and nothing happens. 

Thanks

Newbie Owner

I downloaded the VLC player on my phone when I hook up my phone the songs play but no titles are displayed. I can pause and play on the radio screen...this is through the bluetooth connection mine is a 13.

I prefer the usb port with a stick anyway

I don't appear to have a USB player, that is why I was trying to get this to work. I do have a CD Player but it won't play MP3's.

Update: Just looking at the manual, and it is in the center console - now I just need to format it as NTFS doesn't want to work.

Edited by Beauford

And, you may find a slot for an SD card just at the base under all the controls.  Doesn't use up an USB port which you could use for changing and/or bump into a "stick" while digging around the bin.  Works the same, format fat32, load with mp3 and have weeks of music ready to play.   Just another option.

As for the phone, I believe it bluetooh connection is, form the phone's view, an external speaker with controls.  So you  don't get to see playlist for most models.  I understand some of the newer systems with different phones may have enhanced features.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2015 200C's uconnect shows all the now playing information on the screen when I stream from my phone.  I took for granted that a 2017 8.4 would have that functionality also.  The DJ has the 8.4NAV, so I figured it would be pretty much the same unit, but it is missing some of the functionality I was used to. No HD radio.  No 3G connection with an apps list which means no OTA updates.  No display when playing from bluetooth.  I can still skip/pause songs, but if I want to see the song identification I have to look at my phone.

I care very little about most of the missing things, but the blank bluetooth connection screen is a bit frustrating.  Is there some setting somewhere that I'm missing.   I looked up the bluetooth pairing guide on mopar.com and according to the system features for the unit in my DJ, metadata should be showing over bluetooth even on the 4.3.