2012 160k - Two thumbs up

TD Charlie

Just posted in the new members forum but it's worth it to put here as well.

I've had the pentastar SXT since 2012, purchased with 7k miles. It's made the journey (JOKES) from Boston to Orlando twice, Hilton Head Island, several trips to Brooklyn, countless trips up to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I've had zero issues with it. I spent ten bucks on a thermostat last year, and did the battery and alternator a few months ago. Chrysler uses a beast of a battery for this one to have survived so long. I was annoyed with having to pull both front tires to get the battery and alternator out, but oh well. I think I spent maybe $300 for both, together. My blend door actuator clicked out so I pulled the harness to shut it up. Otherwise, it's been smooth sailing. I am truly blown away by the power and bulletproof nature of this car. I don't think I could have found anything better for my lifestyle and with 3 small kids to haul around. $300 in mechanical repair over 8 years and 160k miles...

For the gripes:

The tires from the factory were horrendous. I forget if they were summer rubber but they did NOT stand up to a New England winter.

The ride is pretty soft, almost too soft for a midsize SUV. I feel like It's gonna flip off a ramp one of these days.

Not AWD.

Pros:

Power from the Pentastar is quite good. It's not a rocket by any means, but it pulls pretty hard especially when merging/passing.

Fuel economy, also far better than anticipated. I was up over 30mpg on my drive to Florida in May of 2019. It's usually "down" around 23 these days

The size. Not huge. Not tiny. Comfortable enough for my scrawny 6 foot frame to drive, with two car seats in the middle row and a child booster in the third row. I actually put all the seats down when I took it to Florida and slept in the back for a couple hours around the NC/SC border.

For factory equipment, this stereo absolutely pounds. No bluetooth in the 2012 but it at least has an aux input. My girlfriend drives a 2019 BMW and she's jealous of the sound the Journey puts out.

Price! I think I paid 20k for it, "used." 7k miles, sorry that's new for me. She was barely out of bed before I got her. I don't think it's possible to find something with three rows of seating, an efficient v6 making good power, and WILDLY GOOD reliability for 20 grand.

The verdict:

I am so confused that these seem to have a bad name. This is by far the stand alone champion in terms of the cars I have owned. I've had a couple Cadillacs, a Corolla, Sentra, Escape, Odyssey, and 2 classic toys. The Journey puts everything to shame. It's really not even close. I would love to "upgrade" into something for ME, a true mid life crisis mobile, but I have no reason to get rid of this car. It's paid off, costs me nothing in maintenance, and fits my family. Get one.

Edited by TD Charlie

Still enjoying my 14 R/T at 56k miles. Bought with 18k at 2 years old. I was introduced to the Pentastar driving an 11 van at work. Was impressed, drove it for 133,000 miles no issues. When my 97 4runner frame rotted out (I thought I would keep forever) I got the R/T. Wife has 19 Cherokee 3.2 with 9 speed. I like the older 3.6 with 6 speed way better.

20200408_172817.jpg

On 1/10/2021 at 1:05 AM, Armando G said:

Big thumbs up for the positive review. I feel most people that are happy and are having minimal issues, are probably not joining forums too often. Great review and good for you... keep enjoying the DJ!!!

amen! I’ve heard so many horrid things about the Journey and the 62te especially. It’s been amazingly solid for me with only semi regular oil changes. I haven’t treated it all that well and it’s done nothing but serve me well. 

if it dies tomorrow at 161k, it will have been well worth the 20k i paid for it 8 years ago.