8.4 Uconnect touchscreen but no Bluetooth or GPS?

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT. From little research it seems to have the 8.4 Uconnect Touchscreen. The options are the Radio, Player, Controls, Climate and Settings. I have attached a photo of the screen. I thought this was supposed to have Bluetooth and Nav? Seeing that these options are not available on my screen, am I able to purchase a GPS antenna and Bluetooth module to hook to the existing screen and maybe have it flashed at the dealer?

Thanks for your help!

uconnect.jpg

There's good news, and there's bad news.

Most (but not all) vehicles quipped with the 8.4 have Bluetooth.  Only *some* vehicles with the 8.4 come with navigation.

You can swap out the TGM (the radio/aircondtioning/controls interface, located behind the temperature/volume/tuning panel) for one from a vehicle with the navigation - that's plug and play with no codes required to flash nor any antenna to purchase because the GPS shares the Sirius/XM antenna.  You will need an easily obtained unlock code to enable the module.

If you have the Bluetooth/voice command controls on your steering wheel you likely have a blown Bluetooth module, which sits under the dash, above the steering wheel.  A new module will make it play.  But if you don't have the buttons, then adding the OEM Bluetooth is not going to b a simple task because the buttons and cabling will not be in place. 

From there, you can also add he backup camera - the kit you'd need for that includes the cable harness and does require flashing a code.

I happen to have a nav-equipped TGM sitting on my shelf, available for purchase.  I got it before we figured out how to get these things going again if they failed with a 'can't unlock maps' error and the dealers were useless in fixing the problem - this is one of the later ones, which were equipped to receive traffic guidance from Sirius/XM (a subscription service).

Or go aftermarket.  There are adapters so you don’t lose heat/ac controls. Check out crutchfield.com. The Kenwood unit for my 09 was about $600 for everything.  I lost nothing and actually gained some things, but my heat/ac was never on the screen. I think the UConnect system is outdated and not keeping up with phones, that’s why I swapped mine out.  Hands free, phone, and Bluetooth CarPlay work flawlessly.

18 hours ago, OhareFred said:

. . . . .. I think the UConnect system is outdated and not keeping up with phones.

I don't know why you said this.  uConnect with Bluetooth works perfectly with my Android 10 phone, and with all my previous phones.  It also works with my daughter's IOS phone. On the other hand, if you are diving the '09 listed in your profile, it might explain a lot.  The entertainment system in the old models is indeed very outdated.

I said that because the UConnect in my 09 would NOT work with either my wife’s or sons IPhone 8’s or my IPhone 11, but all worked in my 2018 Jeep.  The dealer tested the handsfree module, which they insisted was fine and blamed UConnect.  UConnect first blamed the module, then the IPhones.  Apple tried the most to get them to work, then blamed UConnect.  UConnect then admitted their software is out of date and they have no intention of updating it.  Kenwood, on the other hand, works perfectly with all the phones and is easy to update.  And yes, still have the 09 with less then 100k miles and a lifetime warranty..?