2wd vs awd - pros and cons

mic414

OK, I know most people in the US would go for AWD without thinking. But it is not a straightforward decision for a crossover/family car in my opinion.

First of all, in my opinion, AWD superiority in safety and stability shows only in circumstances which are not typical use for a Journey. Sure, if you're rallying, driving offroad, or like to drive hard in a powerful, sporty car, AWD is better. But actually a lot of "regular" AWD cars are not handling any better than their 2WD variants.

Next popular reason is snow: some people buy AWD for this reason, so that they don't have to buy winter tires - well in this case it's a poor decision as the same vehicle with winter tires would own AWD with all-season in every situation (and would be much cheaper). AWD doesn't help you at all with stopping in slippery surface, in fact it may be longer because the car is heavier.

Then there's the performance advantage: 2WD weighs 300 lbs less, so performance and milege should be noticeably better. On the other hand, 2WD would have more torque steer and high output engines would spin the wheel, but my guess is that it shouldn't be a huge issue for the Journey as it's heavy enough. (My Saab Viggen on the other hand is a different story :) )

And then there's the price, 2WD is about 2 grands cheaper.

So is there a case for buying AWD? IMHO, not. But I can be convinced, and I would be truly interested in others' opinion who drove both variants.

My thought is (was) if I cant make it with FWD then I probably should not be out there

Also it provides a false sense of security & you end up further in the ditch and your stuck anyway

AWD is amazing but I could not justify the extra cost to buy -then the extra maintenance issues during ownership.

OK, I know most people in the US would go for AWD without thinking. But it is not a straightforward decision for a crossover/family car in my opinion.

I think it all boils down to where you live and what conditions you'll commonly face while driving. If I lived where heavy snow & ice is the norm, I'd opt for AWD. Otherwise, FWD is fine and you'll benefit from a simpler driveline and better fuel economy.

I have AWD and love it. Weather is the main reason for having AWD for me. If you drive a truck in snow with 4wd on and then off you will see why it is better. Yes awd can get a person in a bigger mess because of a false security and it can get you out of a lot of trouble if you do slip up every now and then.

Plus I don't like having to switch tires for different seasons. Give me a good all season tire, awd and I am set. So far the Khumo tires on the Journey has done very well for me.

You can be convinced...Really Your post read more like an editorial than one asking for recommendations IMHO... I'm just saying!

Well all I can say is the combination of AWD and traction control in the Journey work very well together. I also own a 4x4 truck and can honestly say I feel as comfortable in the Journey as my truck. I work for a utility and had to be out in my personal vehicle during the blizzard on the east coast here and the Journey is what I chose to take out and the performance was nothing short of fantastic. So take it for what it is worth - I love it! Gas mileage and performance are good as well!

My reasons for the AWD:

#1 While the MPG of the FWD is nice...I live right near a mountain pass. We cross this pass at least twice a month. In the winter it isn't uncommon for the pass to be Chains Required Unless AWD or 4x4. And its common to see State Patrol out checking. I purchased the AWD so I don't have to mess with chains. I'm a girl and I don't like being wet and cold in the dark on the side of the freeway putting chains on. I have previously had FWD cars and never had a problem with snow or other inclement weather. But if the pass was restricted, I would have to wait to leave and hope it got cleared enough that the restriction is cancelled. And hope I made it in time to wherever I was going. With the AWD I just keep driving. And the Journey gets WAY better gas mileage than my truck.

#2 The AWD also has better ground clearance. My primary use of this vehicle is for work. I am a real estate appraiser in a rural area where "unimproved roads" are common. I have literally pulled off the car bumper of a FWD car trying to reach a property that I had to drive through a dry creek bed (would've been nice of someone to mention that before I went there). So far I have not even scraped the undercarriage of my Journey and that is saying a lot!

Depends on the region that you live in . . .

1) If you live in a winter area where temps go down low (even without snow), then a winter tire should be a MUST HAVE on your list. The rubber compound is much sticker than all season or summer type tires. You will notice a HUGE difference in stopping distance using winter tires vs anything else ! Also, the traction for handling and such is much much better. I am a true convert after having AWD Dodge Magnum R/T - and putting winter tires on it - WOW ! MASSIVE difference, even with the AWD.

2) As for FWD vs AWD, well, the system on the Journey is an "on demand" style . . . the computer kicks it in when it sense slippage. So when you are driving on the highway with good conditions, you are in FWD mode and using less gas ! But if you start getting into slippery conditions, then the computer does it's thing and AWD gets kicked in and out - you really won't notice it, unless you are in major slippery conditions - I have done this in the mountain passes with lots of snow on the road. The car starts to push the front, like a front wheel drive, then the AWD kicks and you get more control ! Personnely, after having the Magnum AWD - which was on all the time (62% driving the rear wheels and 38% driving the front wheels), I prefer the system that is on all the time -even in summer it provides AWESOME handling !!!

So, where does that leave you ??? . . . . get what you feel suits your area and driving pattern. If you drive both you won't really notice much difference. However if you have winter in your area, then you certainly will !! And if you do decide to go with FWD only, I would still suggest winter tires ! AWD is no substitute for proper equipment, winter tires are built for a reason !

Just my two cents worth . .

Cheers

Mark

A12rag