2017 Dodge Journey CEL won't stay off

Kjz3ro

I have a 2017 Dodge Journey Crossroad plus with the 3.5 V6 and 6 Speed auto and we had it serviced back in May (car had 28,600ish miles on it) to get ready for a 3000 plus mile trip.. Car ran perfect everywhere we went and had no problems till we were back home a few days.. First the check gas cap light came on and no matter what we did with the cap it wouldn't go off and then the next day the CEL came on too so we took it in to the dealer.. They ran their tests and said it was a evap code and they cleared it and said to come back if it came back on.. The next day the CEL did in fact come back on so we gave them a call and it took 3 or 4 visits for them to finally work on it.. All the invoice said is they replaced the evap canister and reset the light and cleared it out of the PCM but less than a week later it came back on.. So now it's almost November and it comes on and goes off often and the last few times we took it in all they would do is clear the code because it passed all their tests so they don't know what is causing it.. But my wife has figured out that it seems to do it every time we fill it up and only some times if we just give it half a tank or so.. We had planned on taking it to a different dealer but of course thanks to our work schedules we haven't had a chance yet and now it's went over it's 36K warranty mark..  Could it be something as easy as the gas cap and they either think or care to replace it?  Thanks in advance for any feed back..

well at least you have it back repeated times for the same reason under warranty and since you say you are over the 36 k but didnt say how far you are sometimes if its close to the 36 k they will sometimes fix the problem again under a good will appreciation gesture, but you will probally have to go above the dealership head to corporate to get it they did it twice for me on different vehicles be nice but firm that you have had it in before for several times and it was never fixed that it keeps coming back. might want to try a different dealership[ even if its inconvenient to you....perhaps dodge care will speak up here and offer you some help...take care and keep us informed on what is happening 

7 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

well at least you have it back repeated times for the same reason under warranty and since you say you are over the 36 k but didnt say how far you are sometimes if its close to the 36 k they will sometimes fix the problem again under a good will appreciation gesture, but you will probally have to go above the dealership head to corporate to get it they did it twice for me on different vehicles be nice but firm that you have had it in before for several times and it was never fixed that it keeps coming back. might want to try a different dealership[ even if its inconvenient to you....perhaps dodge care will speak up here and offer you some help...take care and keep us informed on what is happening 

It was at 36,021 on Monday but the wife does drive it around 50 miles a day to work and back.. We have another dealership not too far from us that we can take it to hopefully soon.. Thanks for the reply..

I guess I'm not as patient as some people. If a dealership is unwilling to find a solution to their products problem, I get on the phone with the manufacturer themselves. I explain the situation and ask them to find a solution and note my complain. I've had to do this with my Fords twice and they helped get my problem resolved. Ironically I had to drive to the furthest of the 3 dealers in my area (about an hour away), but ended up getting the best service I ever experienced. I'm experienced enough to know that clearing a code is not fixing the problem, and those codes usually pop up for a reason. My DJ is currently at the dealership getting transmission work done, but they have been amazing with any work they've done on my car so far. Take your car, along with the invoices from the times you brought it in, and take it to another dealer before the mileage gets to high.