Premature Brake Wear < 20,0000!

bob7296

So was mine at 15,000 miles... The rear brakes had some problem were the Calibers were locking- dealership replaced the whole rear braking system. Of course I had to fight to get it at N/C because the warrenty is 12,000....

Well long story short- I am now with out fronts...I went back and they said well the fronts are your problem and will have to charge, yet if the rears were bad- that would mean the braking load was on the fronts causing them to fade faster...they looked at me like i was speak quantium or something...

So part two of the fight,

i dont get why they just didnt change the whole system instead of 1/2 @$$ =ing everything.

Its a shame cause other then that, i am happy

You guys are too nice. i told them before I bought the car with brake issues and that I am an asshole. I will leave it at their dealership and take a loaner car. Will not return until my shit is fixed. if they want to complain I will drive the bitch through the front door, no problems here. I'm a southern asshole that doesn't take shit.

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced my front brake pads at 19,990 miles on my 2009 Journey SXT AWD, I've never experienced any brake wear that quickly on any vehicle!

It's very disapointing, Dodge should step up to the plate and provide warranty and a longer wear pad for this vehicle!

Mine has 26000 miles and now have to have the rotors replaced. This is outragious. Chrystler says to bad.

I just replaced my front brake pads at 19,990 miles on my 2009 Journey SXT AWD, I've never experienced any brake wear that quickly on any vehicle!

It's very disapointing, Dodge should step up to the plate and provide warranty and a longer wear pad for this vehicle!

I also have a 2009 Journey SXT AWD and I just replaced my front brake pads at 19,500mi. The old ones were completely shot.

I'm at 17,000 miles and no brake issues. Hopefully I don't ruffle any feathers but if the warranty won't cover the brakes why should the dealership have to fix them for free? I made sure I read and understood what was and was not covered under the warranty when I bought the journey.

PS. anger issues get you nowhere. My issues are resolved in a timely manner and I've never had to raise my voice.

I'm at 17,000 miles and no brake issues. Hopefully I don't ruffle any feathers but if the warranty won't cover the brakes why should the dealership have to fix them for free? I made sure I read and understood what was and was not covered under the warranty when I bought the journey.

PS. anger issues get you nowhere. My issues are resolved in a timely manner and I've never had to raise my voice.

Like wise, my UK Spec Journey has had one electrical failure after an other, and according to my dealers, who have been extremely GOOD, it has chewed through every single computer ( from WIM, ELV's TIP-M's ECU's main Computer etc etc) and sensor at least once, 2 Mygigs as well, and after many mild mannered clashes with my Dealer and Chrysler UK (who are totally useless) i have sitting on my drive a nice replacement Journey, with the added bonus of the DVD set up thrown in....

yes ranting and raving can get you some where (usually arrested) but gentle but forceful works best..............

Like wise, my UK Spec Journey has had one electrical failure after an other, and according to my dealers, who have been extremely GOOD, it has chewed through every single computer ( from WIM, ELV's TIP-M's ECU's main Computer etc etc) and sensor at least once, 2 Mygigs as well, and after many mild mannered clashes with my Dealer and Chrysler UK (who are totally useless) i have sitting on my drive a nice replacement Journey, with the added bonus of the DVD set up thrown in....

yes ranting and raving can get you some where (usually arrested) but gentle but forceful works best..............

Is that a permanent replacement or just a temporary one until yours gets sorted out? From what I've read here (and in other posts you've made), your Journey definitely seems to be possessed!

Hi dp360, A complete replacement.... PERMENANT, well it will be from tomorrow, i've had the replacement since friday, to try it out under "Work" conditions, as i bought my Journey for my company, so it was used for abit of towing, a few motorway (Highway) drives, and is just like what my original Journey used to be like when first new (but went down hill rapidly) ..however this one, is fab all round, can not fault it!!! so i had to take it back today (this afternoon -GMT time) and say if i wanted it to the dealer, and they informed me, that when i come back tomorrow we can sort out the paperwork, then i take a loaner for the week, while they swap over my Optional extras i bought when i bought the first Journey, and they will then put them on my new one... Sunglass, roof rails, splash guards , etc etc....

2 strange things though, 1) i am getting about a 25% increase on fuel return (Uk Diesel spec) and it has gone up to a respectable 34-36 mpg.... (better than the 26-28) mixed driving

and 2) funny you should say my original Steel Grey Journey was possessed, as the dealers techies and my workforce all nick named it "CHRISTINE"...... (that infamous 67 Plymouth Fury) , and i have now got an INFERNO RED JOURNEY

but it really has been nice to drive a Journey that is quiet, well mannered (stable in use) and does not rattle anywhere.....

but i do have to say Chrysler UK.... :censored:

My dealership, who WILL still get my servicing business (just booked in my "Carma" Caliber) :happy feet:

so that i can keep on........ :shift::shift::shift:

Hi dp360, A complete replacement.... PERMENANT, well it will be from tomorrow, i've had the replacement since friday, to try it out under "Work" conditions, as i bought my Journey for my company, so it was used for abit of towing, a few motorway (Highway) drives, and is just like what my original Journey used to be like when first new (but went down hill rapidly) ..however this one, is fab all round, can not fault it!!! so i had to take it back today (this afternoon -GMT time) and say if i wanted it to the dealer, and they informed me, that when i come back tomorrow we can sort out the paperwork, then i take a loaner for the week, while they swap over my Optional extras i bought when i bought the first Journey, and they will then put them on my new one... Sunglass, roof rails, splash guards , etc etc....

Well that is really great to hear! I hope all works out well.

Now wouldn't it be funny if one of those items that is getting swapped over is what caused all the problems in the first place? No, I guess not... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Same here except at 30K! WTF? I had a Dodge Magnum with 97K and no brake problem.

Don't know if any of you realized this but the pads they are using to replace the crappy ones are still the same crappy ones. You would think they'd switch to something else. So those of you who had them replaced with the crappy ones, be prepared to do so again in a few months. I was livid when they told me they needed to be replaced and they were beyond warranty. I switched to ceramic and haven't had a problem since.

Don't know if any of you realized this but the pads they are using to replace the crappy ones are still the same crappy ones. You would think they'd switch to something else. So those of you who had them replaced with the crappy ones, be prepared to do so again in a few months. I was livid when they told me they needed to be replaced and they were beyond warranty. I switched to ceramic and haven't had a problem since.

If your Journey is getting close to 15K miles: PAY ATTENTION! and save yourself some money and stress of dealing with the dealership.

The wife noticed about a week ago that the brakes were getting kind-of grabby. I had the pleasure of driving it yesterday and they were definitely just that, grabby. It has 24K on the odometer, and I had no idea that this is a problem with all '09's. After a trip to the local parts store, about 90 dollars, and around 2 hours later, no more brake problems.

Now for some tricks: http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/rear_brake_pads.htm

The fronts are a piece of cake. Note how the pad retainer clips come out and put the new ones in the same way. The rears are a little trickier. In the above link, they say in step #7 to: "The reset tool winds the piston back into position so the new brake pads will fit. This style of brake caliper will not compress with a clamp tool; it can only be reset with the proper reset tool." You can make your own from a piece of 1/8" x 1 1/2" flat bar aluminum or steel (preferred). Cut a piece about 6 to 8 inches long. Notch out about 1 1/4 inches from the center of one end about 1/4 inch deep with a file (longer time) or bench grinder (way faster, but remember steel grinding disks are different from aluminum). You may have to use a cresent wrench to turn the caliper in while you hold the bar in place, but nothing too much bigger.

If you're mad at Dodge, why pay 300 dollars plus for a brake job.

Tags: Dodge, Journey, brakes, rear brakes, front brakes, brake caliper reset tool, squeaky brakes, grabby brakes.

I would imagine that the brake system in the Journey is way too underpowered for the size of the vehicle. If you want more miles out of your brakes, go to a quality pad and rotor from a performance brake manufacturer like EBC, BAER Brakes, Summit Racing, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to replace the front brakes AND rotors at 19K..........very disappointing. There is definitely something wrong with the design of the brakes. Other than that, it's a good vehicle

Wow. It's been a while since I visited - I thought I was the only one with brake problems and never thought to look here until my own recent experience.

I took our Journey SXT to the dealer for its routine free oil change last October and was told it needed front brake pads. Not wishing to pay their exorbitant fee I took it to a local mechanic for a second opinion and was told indeed the pads were worn out. Then just last week I took it back to the same place to check the rear brakes and had to replace both pads and rotors. Our Journey just turned over 27000 miles.

My wife drives the Journey 95 percent of the time, and the mechanic blamed her driving habits. But we had a Magnum for more than four years that she also drove every day, and I would swear in court that we never replaced the brakes while we owned it.

I've concluded (duh) that Chrysler just cut corners on the brake parts.

I own a 2009 Journy RT - took it in for a regular oil change and mentioned to service manager that the brake light had just started coming on when I started the ignition- received a call from the service manager telling me I needed new front brakes and rotors- the vehicle is 15 months old and has 22,000 miles on it - I own a Dodge Stratus and Dodge Dakota and traded a Dodge Ram in for the Journey. Out of all of the Dodge products I own have never had to replace brakes and rotors at 22,000. Called Chrysler and wrote a complaint letter- Chrsyler called me and offered to reimburse part of the cost of repairs - I spoke with a customer service rep in Utah for Chrysler told her that I felt the problem was cheap/defective parts and Chrysler should reimburse all of my expenses- since this obviously a problem with the vehicle. The customer service rep told me that I was lucky to get anything back since I was out of warranty- very disappointed in Chrysler/Dodge and I just bought a Mazda as my next vehicle- if Chrysler/Dodge wants to keep customer loyalty in the United States they should provide for their existing customers and replace defective parts free of charge.

I own a 2009 Journy RT - took it in for a regular oil change and mentioned to service manager that the brake light had just started coming on when I started the ignition- received a call from the service manager telling me I needed new front brakes and rotors- the vehicle is 15 months old and has 22,000 miles on it - I own a Dodge Stratus and Dodge Dakota and traded a Dodge Ram in for the Journey. Out of all of the Dodge products I own have never had to replace brakes and rotors at 22,000. Called Chrysler and wrote a complaint letter- Chrsyler called me and offered to reimburse part of the cost of repairs - I spoke with a customer service rep in Utah for Chrysler told her that I felt the problem was cheap/defective parts and Chrysler should reimburse all of my expenses- since this obviously a problem with the vehicle. The customer service rep told me that I was lucky to get anything back since I was out of warranty- very disappointed in Chrysler/Dodge and I just bought a Mazda as my next vehicle- if Chrysler/Dodge wants to keep customer loyalty in the United States they should provide for their existing customers and replace defective parts free of charge.

don't let them put the same crap pads on. get ceramic pads instead and if they want to charge get them done elsewhere. they last much longer and no dust. I have heard in California as posted in another part of this website that you can get grooved rotors from a third party. Expensive but apparently much better. Why let them cause you more grief and another visit at 20k or less?