undercoating question

Hit-By-Thunder

I was talking with the deareship today and mentioned the undercoating. I want to know if anyone has pros or cons about it. The dealer said it would be a lifetime warranty on the undercoating if we did get it. I am thinking seriously of getting it but just wanted to here from some people with their experiences, Thank you

Rob

Get it Rob! I had a previous Caravan which I keep for 10 years and it was treated with the Chrysler Undercoating. The undercarriage was still like new after that 10 year period. My son is a back yard body man and he was amased. If you plan to keep this vehicle for an extended period than I recommend the treatment although it is a bit expensive. My wife paid for mine as her contribution to the cost of the Journey.

Forget all the other add-ons but the Undercoating is a must 'have up' here in the great white North where salt is King although Alberta is not quite as bad.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
Get it Rob! I had a previous Caravan which I keep for 10 years and it was treated with the Chrysler Undercoating. The undercarriage was still like new after that 10 year period. My son is a back yard body man and he was amased. If you plan to keep this vehicle for an extended period than I recommend the treatment although it is a bit expensive. My wife paid for mine as her contribution to the cost of the Journey.

Forget all the other add-ons but the Undercoating is a must 'have up' here in the great white North where salt is King although Alberta is not quite as bad.

Keith

Re undercoating, do you have to get this repeated every year?

I had my 98 Windstar undercoated when it was brand new, and it was the best thing for it.

The undercoating only needs to be done once, but is only effective on a new vehicle. Usually if the vehicle has been driven through a winter, then the best way to protect it is to under oil it every year. Of course that is only my opinion, and because I live in an area where salt is used heavily in the winter under oiling may not be needed in the southern U.S.

Rick.

You'er right Snow Runner. My 02 Grand Caravan was undercoated when new and that's it for the life of the vehicle. It's a little costly but when you consider the cost of oil spray year after year than it becomes a bargain. I also know it works!

My Journey will be undercoated before it leaves the dealers lot!

Keith

You'er right Snow Runner. My 02 Grand Caravan was undercoated when new and that's it for the life of the vehicle. It's a little costly but when you consider the cost of oil spray year after year than it becomes a bargain. I also know it works!

My Journey will be undercoated before it leaves the dealers lot!

Keith

I will be undercoating ours before it leaves the lot as well. Also mud flaps too. I want to get a guy to 3M the front of the Journey too. I've seen the guy install it on a class A motorhome and boy is that stuff thick.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After reading the discussions above, I had the undercoating put on my Journey. Somehow later on the afternoon of the first day I got the car, someone, not me, got that grease stuff over my front seat, a glob about a quarter of an inch by 3/4 an inch. I tried to swipe it off and only made it worse. We ended up using paint thinner and got most of it off that way. There still was a noticeable spot around two inches in Diameter. We used some more paint thinner and then took soap and water and it cleaned real good. It wasn't fun. Just be careful around that stuff.

• 1 month later...

This is a good buy, depending on what type of undercoat they use. Ask the service manager if it is oil based or waterbased undercoat. The oil based is superior. I would also look around town because detail shops do this kind of thing for around half or less.

• 2 years later...

not sure if there is any truth to this but my dealer claimed the stuff used by chrysler is developed and formulated by chrysler and do not use any 3 party stuff like gator tuff, diamond kote etc.. if anyone can confirm in fact it's all chrysler product please post us.

I did end up paying a premium for the dealer stuff, but glad to hear some positive posts on the dealer applied stuff.. makes me feel better for doling out the extra cash... :-)

• 1 month later...

I thought the dealer undercoating was excessively priced - I did have a former vehicle (Chrysler town 'n country) undercoated bottom only with black stuff and then had the panels done by Krown Rust. I have also had a Chrysler Sebring sprayed using Krown Rust (2 years in a row and then never again) and never had any rust in 11 years of ownership. (Krown Rust drips for a few days but eventually washes off the asphalt drive with the rain.) I think I will try Oil Guard this time around (it is a clear jelly like dripless material) and will likely wait until June when it is hot and the stuff can seep into all the nooks and crannies. The price will be $145 and will include exterior/interior cleaning as well.

Edited by Stretch