Factory Original Power Steering Fluid Type

bobman

Both Mopar ATF+4 and Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4 comply to the same material standard (MS-9602).  Everything I've seen from my 2010 Chrysler T&C to my 2015 DJ is that either fluid is acceptable.

I have done a replacement of my van's power steering pressure hose, twice.  Parts were sourced from a dealership.  They sold me ATF+4, even when explicitly told what repair I was performing.  Other than the hose failing again, the same way the original did (because of a poorly designed part), I haven't had any issues.

13 hours ago, jkeaton said:

I just add what the manual recommends. If they recommend both, then there is no issue with mixing as I'm quite sure the manufacturer would state that as a precaution if it were an issue. 

I think so. If that’s the case I’ll grab some Castrol ATF+4 from Walmart and top it up. I think they have similar viscosity. It’s interesting how they’re interchangeable for power steering but not interchangeable for transmission. Hmmm..